Thread: Alice Coltrane, Wife of Late John Coltrane, Has Passed Away

Credits

Alice Coltrane, Wife of Late John Coltrane, Has Passed Away

Don't know how many of you are into jazz...just saw this article. She and John Coltrane contributed a lot in the world of jazz...http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070114...s_070114220306
    Last edited by Caribsun; 01-14-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Credits
    So passes another pioneer in the world of music. I first discovered Coltrane about 6 years ago and was blown away by his unique style and daring. He, Alice and his band, like his other contemporaries, were constantly pushing the boundaries of jazz in the 1950s and 1960s. To this day I can't get enough of his fusing of Classical Indian, African and Dervish melodies with jazz and how his music in its own way helped inspire so many in the Civil Rights movement while at the same time that music was his own way of expressing the turmoil he was seeing all around him.

Alice stood by him even though his experiments with the music turned away many who didn't at first understand what he was doing and her own musical talents lifted many of his recorded music. May she rest with the ancestors
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Credits
    RIP

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post
    So passes another pioneer in the world of music. I first discovered Coltrane about 6 years ago and was blown away by his unique style and daring. He, Alice and his band, like his other contemporaries, were constantly pushing the boundaries of jazz in the 1950s and 1960s. To this day I can't get enough of his fusing of Classical Indian, African and Dervish melodies with jazz and how his music in its own way helped inspire so many in the Civil Rights movement while at the same time that music was his own way of expressing the turmoil he was seeing all around him.

Alice stood by him even though his experiments with the music turned away many who didn't at first understand what he was doing and her own musical talents lifted many of his recorded music. May she rest with the ancestors
    I discovered John Coltrane while I was in college. I heard "Love Supreme" in a record store and was instantly hooked.

I admire Alice and John because they had a solid relationship. He loved her and showed it, and she loved him in return. They worked together and shared other areas of their lives with each other. Black love realized...it was a beautiful thing.