Thread: Agree or disagree????

Credits

Agree or disagree????

The DOJ was investigating the reasoning behind the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision to "overturn the conviction" and decided to drop it.

A Southern California man who posted an online racist rant that suggested Barack Obama should be shot during the 2008 presidential campaign was engaged in constitutionally protected free speech and should not have faced criminal charges, a divided federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.
    The decision overturns the conviction of Walter Bagdasarian of La Mesa, northeast of San Diego, who was found guilty two years ago by a federal judge in San Diego of violating a statute prohibiting threats to kill, kidnap or do bodily harm to a major presidential candidate.
    If there wasn't any bad parents then there wouldn't be any good strip clubs... Think about it!!!

Credits
    A good decision. There is nothing that prevents investigation of a threat, so to make the online threat in itself, a custodial offence, always strikes me as rubbish law.

*Ah doh know de answer to yuh question.

Credits
    They said its free speech but the law is you cannot threaten the life of a sitting or running president. The court ruling is bullshit and he gets away with it because of what???

If there wasn't any bad parents then there wouldn't be any good strip clubs... Think about it!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    A good decision. There is nothing that prevents investigation of a threat, so to make the online threat in itself, a custodial offence, always strikes me as rubbish law.

*Ah doh know de answer to yuh question.
    i disagree..

though freedom of speech is one of the greatest constitutional freedoms enjoyed by American, it should not be use to protect anyone who threatens a sitting us president. That is not the one exception, it is also illegal to make threat of bombing while on a plan or at an airport.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalistix View Post
    i disagree..

though freedom of speech is one of the greatest constitutional freedoms enjoyed by American, it should not be use to protect anyone who threatens a sitting us president. That is not the one exception, it is also illegal to make threat of bombing while on a plan or at an airport.
    So the law only holds for the President? If so, you're detaining a man for threatening one of the world's best protected citizens who receives 1000 threats a year. What's the sense in that? Yuh actually have a law there to lock up dotish people. Being dotish cannot be a crime.

Credits
    Everyone likes to talk about all of their rights without considering the
    responsibilities that come with the rights. The threat was stupid and
    selfish given the resources that would be wasted investigating the threat.
    I hope the cost of defending himself leaves him broke.
    Think For Yourself

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    So the law only holds for the President? If so, you're detaining a man for threatening one of the world's best protected citizens who receives 1000 threats a year. What's the sense in that? Yuh actually have a law there to lock up dotish people. Being dotish cannot be a crime.
    Being dotish is not a viable defense if so the prisons with be empty. lol

there are hundreds of laws who have such exemptions, where by you get a worse sentence for the same crime depending on whou the crime is committed against.

Credits
    The man appealed his conviction and won... Now I understand that he's not the first or last to threaten a sitting President... But the President is still in office, so what message is the court really sending out???

Credits
    The wording here is interesting. He "posted a rant that suggested" doesn't sound like a threat. Daz like me sayin some ah deze politicians tryin to be president should really be shot! Is not a threat depending on delivery. And goinf off the little that was posted it doesn't seem credible that he should have been charged. Is there a link to see the rant?
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    The rant itself is what was the alarm.....what the SS found in his home is what based his prosecution... Now you have the intent and the means but I was drunk is a viable excuse to doing dumbshit but then again the SS had more info to go on than just that statement.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...8/bothreat.pdf