Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: After naked photo hack, ‘white feminists’ ignore Jill Scott

Credits

After naked photo hack, ‘white feminists’ ignore Jill Scott

After naked photo hack, ‘white feminists’ ignore Jill Scott - The Washington Post

can't embed the tweets in here...but click the link to read some of the tweets on the issue

While feminists rushed to Jennifer Lawrence’s defense after this week’s leak of naked celebrity photos, an African American singer and actress went undefended because of her race. So goes the charge being leveled against “white feminists” and “mainstream feminism” on Twitter after naked selfies allegedly taken by Jill Scott went into circulation.

waits for mainstream feminism to tweet about privacy violations for Jill Scott the way they did for Jennifer Lawrence pic.twitter.com/UoEbCgQ9Bc

— WaifX (@WaifX) September 3, 2014

Scott said one of the photos was of her — and one was not — and offered an eloquent response on Twitter:

But as Scott took the high road, the despicable comments her appearance elicited from Internet trolls were hard to ignore. Scott, after all, doesn’t look much like Lawrence, Kirsten Dunst and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Did her race and physique provoke a different reaction? “Unlike the seedy but flattering (if you can call perverse come-ons and sexual innuendo such) responses being tossed out in response to Jennifer Lawrence’s nude photos, Jill Scott’s photos were met with a barrage of cruel, body-shaming tweets,” Julie Sprankles wrote on She Knows. “Both women are talented. Both women are stunning. So what’s with the wildly dissimilar responses to these women’s photos? Is it due to their inherently different body types?”

Feminism’s racial divide is as old as the Combahee River Collective Statement — and perhaps dates back to Sojourner Truth. It’s a minefield.

“Black feminism is championing a more nuanced understanding of how oppression and privilege operate,” Lola Okolosie wrote in the Guardian earlier this year. “We, all of us, must understand that at the level of the individual, we can at differing points occupy positions of privilege.”

Whether one agrees with Okolosie or not, outrage over the purported lack of outrage on Scott’s behalf seems to have opened an old wound. “Although we as Black women have integrated into feminism, there does exist this fine invisible line made up of white privilege and the double-edged sword that still makes Black women somewhat of the secondary party,” Ariel Leconte wrote on Revolutionary in Pink Pumps. She added: “The Black woman’s body has never had any protection in society.

thing is, i am not going to hold my breath waiting for white feminists to protect us when Black men don't even do it...

the comments that some men were making about her body was ridiculous...especially being that her body is a typical Black woman's body.....it's a crying shame that our own men would try to shame our women for what is naturally theirs....and then wonder why Black women are doing all kinds of fukkery to their hair and body
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...

Credits
    I was ready to call this dude out for talking about her. He said some bull about just because you look good in clothes doesn't mean you look good out of clothes. Mind you he ain't never turned down a sandwich in his life, and it's showing so for him to say that I was like dafuq? He quickly deleted the post because all of us swooped in on him. I always say some of these guy want a girl with big girl parts but don't want a big girl. From the picture I saw of Jill Scott (the one in the robe) she looks good, and you can tell that she's been working out.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    I was ready to call this dude out for talking about her. He said some bull about just because you look good in clothes doesn't mean you look good out of clothes. Mind you he ain't never turned down a sandwich in his life, and it's showing so for him to say that I was like dafuq? He quickly deleted the post because all of us swooped in on him. I always say some of these guy want a girl with big girl parts but don't want a big girl. From the picture I saw of Jill Scott (the one in the robe) she looks good, and you can tell that she's been working out.

yessssssss...these Black men and their schizophrenic ideals does get on my LAST FUKKING NERVE

at no point should ANY Black man been dissing her body...even though big girls are not my preference, i would NEVER diss a big girls body...not because i am big myself, because even when i was small, i never dissed a womans plus sized body

and just like i don't like big dudes either, but i don't go around dissing big dudes.....

Black women DO NOT treat their men like that....i don't know why Black men treat our women that way....they are QUICK to HUMILIATE AND SHAME us......we don't do that to them....they really are disgusting with it

Black men have no idea what it feels like to have a collective movement that rejects their looks....sometimes i think they need to FEEL IT
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

DSP
    Credits
    her chest stood out to me the most
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiGiovanni View Post
    After naked photo hack, ‘white feminists’ ignore Jill Scott - The Washington Post

can't embed the tweets in here...but click the link to read some of the tweets on the issue

thing is, i am not going to hold my breath waiting for white feminists to protect us when Black men don't even do it...

the comments that some men were making about her body was ridiculous...especially being that her body is a typical Black woman's body.....it's a crying shame that our own men would try to shame our women for what is naturally theirs....and then wonder why Black women are doing all kinds of fukkery to their hair and body
    Nikki, what is a typical black girls body?dont get me wrong, i love Jilly from Philly, but she is a "big"girl, what about that makes her typical?
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DSP View Post
    her chest stood out to me the most
    post pics..lol
    DSP likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LIONESS onda RISE View Post
    Nikki, what is a typical black girls body?dont get me wrong, i love Jilly from Philly, but she is a "big"girl, what about that makes her typical?

i should NOT have to explain that....

Credits
    post pics..lol
    why would you ask him to do that??? smh

Credits
    i should NOT have to explain that....
    why not?...you call Jill TYPICAL...but in reality, shes fat!..fat is NOT TYPICAL...is it?

Credits
    why would you ask him to do that??? smh
    well, if not on IMIX..i will never see these pics because i do not have a twitter acct, and not active on any social media besides IMIX..I'm not gonna search them, so....

Credits
    why not?...you call Jill TYPICAL...but in reality, shes fat!..fat is NOT TYPICAL...is it?

smh....i just CAN'T

Credits
    well, if not on IMIX..i will never see these pics because i do not have a twitter acct, and not active on any social media besides IMIX..I'm not gonna search them, so....

how is a VICTIM being VIOLATED, something that you DESIRE to view for your entertainment pleasure?

as a woman, you shouldn't even want to support the spreading of that pic

i just don't get some people.....time for me to log ga fukk off this place....some a unno exasperating

Credits
    how is a VICTIM being VIOLATED, something that you DESIRE to view for your entertainment pleasure?

as a woman, you shouldn't even want to support the spreading of that pic

i just don't get some people.....time for me to log ga fukk off this place....some a unno exasperating
    Entertainment? no.. simple curiosity becuase it is the topic of conversation that YOU bought up....why use this topic and suport the spread of her vicitmization?

talk about me, ....but im betting you saw it tho!

Credits
    smh....i just CAN'T
    ok Nikki...whatevers, but one thing that cant be dispurted..Jill Scott is fat! her body is NOT the typical black girl body because that would mean black women in general and as a whole are fat...and i dont think that is the case at all...

Credits
    before me log off, let me just drop this
    This is why you shouldn't click on the naked photos of Jennifer Lawrence

In what's being called the biggest celebrity hacking incident in internet history, more than 100 female celebrities have had their private nude images stolen and published online. The bulk of the images posted have been officially confirmed as belonging to Jennifer Lawrence, but a complete list of victims' names - including Krysten Ritter, Kate Upton, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rihanna, Brie Larson and Kirsten Dunst - has been subsequently published. (This link does not contain pictures, only names.)

The images were first uploaded by an anonymous member of the underground internet sewer known as 4chan and have since been enthusiastically shared across platforms such as Reddit and Twitter. A representative for Lawrence has confirmed the images are real, condemning the theft of them as a "flagrant violation of privacy" and adding that "the authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen photos".
    Advertisement

There are a few different issues that a criminal act like this brings up, but before I get into them it's necessary to make one thing clear: If you deliberately seek out any of these images, you are directly participating in the violation not just of numerous women's privacy but also of their bodies. These images - which I have not seen and which I will not look for - are intimate, private moments belonging only to the people who appear in them and who they have invited to see them. To have those moments stolen and broadcast to the world is an egregious act of psychic violence, which constitutes a form of assault.

The people sharing these images are perpetuating an ongoing assault. The people gleefully looking at them are witnessing and enjoying an ongoing assault. When you have been asked by victims of a crime like this not to exacerbate the pain of that crime and you continue to do so anyway, you are consciously deciding that your enjoyment, your rights and perhaps even just your curiosity are more important than the safety and dignity of the people you're exploiting.

That out of the way, let's get a few other things straight.

1. This is not a 'scandal'

It's a crime, and we should be discussing it as such. Some media outlets are salaciously reporting it otherwise, as if the illegal violation of privacy involving intimate images is little more than subject for gossip. When associated with sex, the word "scandal" has been typically interpreted as something that assigns responsibility to all parties involved, a consensual act unfortunately discovered and for which everyone owes an explanation or apology. Remember when private nude photos of Vanessa Hudgens (whose name also appears on the list of victims) were leaked online and Disney forced her to publicly apologise for her "lapse in judgment" and hoped she had "learned a valuable lesson"? Never mind that Hudgens was an adult and a victim of privacy violation - the "scandal" was painted as something for which she owed her fans an apology. Which leads us to:

2. These women do not 'only have themselves to blame'

While depressing, it's sadly unsurprising to see some people arguing that Lawrence et al brought this on themselves. Part of living in a rape culture is the ongoing expectation that women are responsible for protecting themselves from abuse, and that means avoiding behaviour which might be later "exploited" by the people who are conveniently never held to account for their actions. But women are entitled to consensually engage in their sexuality in any way they see fit. If that involves taking nude self portraits for the enjoyment of themselves or consciously selected others, that's their prerogative.

Victims of crime do not have an obligation to accept dual responsibility for that crime. Women who take nude photographs of themselves are not committing a criminal act, and they shouldn't "expect" to become victims of one, as Winstead pointed out on Twitter.

Sending a photograph of your breasts to one person isn't consenting to having the whole world see those breasts, just as consenting to sex with one person isn't the same as giving permission for everyone else to f--- you. Victim blaming isn't OK, even if it does give you a private thrill to humiliate the female victims of sexual exploitation.

3. It doesn't matter that 'damn, she looks good and should own it!'

Stealing and sharing the private photographs of women don't become less of a crime just because you approve them for fapping activity. I'm sure many of the women on this list are confident of their sexual attractiveness. It doesn't mean they don't value their privacy or shouldn't expect to enjoy the same rights to it as everyone else. It also doesn't mean they want strangers sweating over their images. That line of thinking comes from the same school that instructs women to either ignore or welcome sexual harassment when it's seemingly "positive" in its sentiments.

None of these women are likely to give a shit that you think their bodies are "tight, damn". Despite what society reinforces to us about the public ownership of women's bodies, we are not entitled to co-opt and objectify them just because we think we can defend it as a compliment.

I will not be seeking out these images and I urge everyone else to avoid doing the same. I hope that all the women who have been victimised here are being appropriately supported by the authorities and their networks of friends. And I hope sincerely that more people take a stand against this kind of behaviour.

Because, this incident aside, it strikes me as deeply ironic that we will vehemently protest at a free Facebook messenger app because we're outraged at reports that it can access our phone's numbers, and yet turn around and excuse the serving up of women's bodies for our own pleasure. Our appreciation is no less disgusting just because it's accompanied by the sound of one hand clapping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast