Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Are Afro Caribbeans really economically and socially above African Americans

Credits

Are Afro Caribbeans really economically and socially above African Americans

lets examine this for real, so was reading about the baby being killed in BK because apparently the shooter was going after the dad, the dad (27 year old) is an immigrant from Trinidad with 20 previous charges over his head

so this leads me to this, some of you all boast of the West Indian immigrant story, but there are tons of W.I's who come here and are worst off than back home.

So how are we measuring this so called wealth and economic stability that the West Indians built?

CUZ i dont see it, we are involved in the same crime, living under the same impoverished situations.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    where is the wealth that we built?

where is our rich mecca?

where are our fortune 500 companies and conglomerates?

where is our respect in NYC ?

where are our radio stations, TV stations?

So we are only good for this carnival culture and parties and boat rides?

THINK ABOUT IT
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    how you mean every year we gather in a waste yard to fete.
    progress man.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    lets examine this for real, so was reading about the baby being killed in BK because apparently the shooter was going after the dad, the dad (27 year old) is an immigrant from Trinidad with 20 previous charges over his head

so this leads me to this, some of you all boast of the West Indian immigrant story, but there are tons of W.I's who come here and are worst off than back home.

So how are we measuring this so called wealth and economic stability that the West Indians built?

CUZ i dont see it, we are involved in the same crime, living under the same impoverished situations.
    Swag like you finally seeing the light. I've lost count how many times i've pontificated on this forum that we are just deluding ourselves into thinking that we (black caribbean people) are somehow better than AAs.

We are a little different in that a higher percentage of us are willing to do sh*t jobs to move ahead....as all immigrants do. But when you talk about having institutions...and history....and world impact of culture and building businesses etc, AAs have us beaten by a mile. I say that as a proud trini.
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

Credits
    Before 1995...that "W.I's are a better set of people than AA" held true. It actually ties into my theory of those born after 19 82 are LOST.

Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Before 1995...that "W.I's are a better set of people than AA" held true. It actually ties into my theory of those born after 19 82 are LOST.

your generation includes Tyler Perry

jussayin.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

ok if you say so, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt. Now show me how we were better off before 1995, and how things drastically changed and how it changed?
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    ok if you say so, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt. Now show me how we were better off before 1995, and how things drastically changed and how it changed?
    Wasn't better off then either
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    here we go again...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    here we go again...
    no because this is a serious thread, serious discussion, and people have to come good

this is not some petty thread, real thing
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    why do you feel that somebody who came from a particular setting in the west indies, would necessarily change once they got to the US.. it'd be reflected in the company that they keep, the activities they endorse, the goals and aspirations that they have for themselves... some people came here to better themselves and move away from whatever negative environment they found themselves in, back in the west indies, while others just transplanted from one environment to the next, ... no change, just more of the same.. so it's not a case of one group being better than the next.. it's subsets of each group that relocate and continue as is...

to me the educated west indians, move here, set up themselves financially, settle down and blend into whatever locale they find themselves, they don't necessarily stand out as "west indians in america"... they probably don't really end up in west indian enclaves like NYC or wherever else.. Brixton lol..
    A.K.K.S., dollbabi and agroDOLCE like this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    why do you feel that somebody who came from a particular setting in the west indies, would necessarily change once they got to the US.. it'd be reflected in the company that they keep, the activities they endorse, the goals and aspirations that they have for themselves... some people came here to better themselves and move away from whatever negative environment they found themselves in, back in the west indies, while others just transplanted from one environment to the next, ... no change, just more of the same.. so it's not a case of one group being better than the next.. it's subsets of each group that relocate and continue as is...

to me the educated west indians, move here, set up themselves financially, settle down and blend into whatever locale they find themselves, they don't necessarily stand out as "west indians in america"... they probably don't really end up in west indian enclaves like NYC or wherever else.. Brixton lol..
    I understand what you saying inno LR, not all WI immigrants are gonna be the ideal immigrant story, but it has been said that the Afro Caribbean group is somehow better than the AA group

But when we examine, its easy to see that we are in the same cateogory. We are a large percentage of the NY population

Lets say 1 out of 12 people in NYC is West Indian, with the largest percentage of that being Afro Caribbean, how come we have not consolidated to create significant wealth and sway in New York City.

Is there a 24 hours Caribbean radio station? legit one

what about W.I TV stations?

what about lobbyists for West Indian interests?

we have bargaining power? they dont even respect us

you dont realize that?
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    LOL @ those born after 1982 are lost. how you even put a specific date on that? steups
    SWAGGERIFIC likes this.

Credits
    The focus should really be on reaching their potential and raising their American-born children to do the same. Not on where they are relative to African-Americans.
    ladyrastafari likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by agroDOLCE View Post
    LOL @ those born after 1982 are lost. how you even put a specific date on that? steups
    he have to explain that, how he arrive at that date
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast