Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFRICAN CENTERED TRADITIONS n CELEBRATIONS IN THE DIASPORA

Credits

AFRICAN CENTERED TRADITIONS n CELEBRATIONS IN THE DIASPORA

If you find anything of INTEREST that RELATES to the TITLE, FEEL FREE to POST.

Credits
    NICENESS from COLOMBIA.

Credits
    Ms. Heritage Personality 2009

The first time i went to some of the events, i was so amazed. I think everyone should go for the heritage at least once in their life time.
    ~~When your character is built on spiritual and moral foundations, your contagious way of life will influence millions.~~

Real Eyes
    Realize
    Real Lies

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ms. Classy Lady~ View Post
    Ms. Heritage Personality 2009

The first time i went to some of the events, i was so amazed. I think everyone should go for the heritage at least once in their life time.
    I can IDENTIFY with EVERYTHING MENTIONED in the VIDEO. It was as if the NARRATOR was TALKING about SVG instead of TOBAGO.

That MAPOLE DANCE and the CART brought back a few MEMORIES.

dev
    Credits
    Love the afro..pride.

Credits
    This is from CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA.

LOVE IT!!!!

Credits
    LEARN ABOUT YUH CULTURE.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    LEARN ABOUT YUH CULTURE.

This VIDEO REMINDS me of a TIME I TOOK a FRIEND of MINE to the INTERNATIONAL HOUSE of PANCAKES.

There was this COUPLE SITTING nearby to us. After listening to their CONVERSATION for a bit, I said to my FRIEND, "that GUY is from Barbados." She said to me, "HE SOUNDS AFRICAN." I said, "NO, I am good at PICKING OUT WEST INDIAN ACCENTS and I can tell he is from BARBADOS." She said, "well, I am AFRICAN and I am telling you that he sounds like he is from NIGERIA or LIBERIA."

So to end the BACK and FORTH, I decided to ask the guy where he is from. So I said, excuse me, I couldn't help LISTENING to your accent, where in the Caribbean are you from? He looked at me and said, "I am not from the Caribbean, I am from Liberia and my wife is from Nigeria."

So I said, WOW, you sound like you're from this island in the Caribbean called Barbados." And then he said, "really...well, we're all Africans."

My FRIEND now was all SMILING because I GOT IT WRONG. Then I said, "well, it is REALLY AMAZING how much he sounds like he is from Barbados. I wish a Bajan was standing right next to us and you will understand why I thought he was from there."

If I had seen this video prior to that encounter, I would have asked them if they're IGBO.
    Last edited by VINCYPOWA; 03-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Credits

Last edited by SWAGGERIFIC; 03-27-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Credits
    LEY ME LET DE ANCESTORS BLESS this THREAD.

Credits

Smile

http://www.jamaicans.com/tourist/articles_travel/abeokuta.shtml

Abeokuta Jamaica- A Hidden Gem

Abeokuta Private Nature Park welcomes you to experience the ambiance and serenity of Nature. Abeokuta is a Heritage, Health and Eco-Tourist Attraction located in Dean’s Valley Westmoreland. The Park was officially opened on January 5th, 2003 by the Nigerian High Commissioner, Her Excellency Florentina Ukonga. Abeokuta is a beautiful unspoiled natural Jamaican Attraction that has been a breathtaking and rejuvenating experience for guests locally and internationally. There is nothing like Abeokuta on the entire island and the closest place to this is Abeokuta in Nigeria, Africa to which Abeokuta, Jamaica is directly linked for over three hundred years. This occurred when the first slaves that were taken to the Parish of Westmoreland were brought to this Plantation from Abeokuta, Nigeria.

The Park itself occupies 13 acres of land on a hill that was the original Plantation Yard. The remains of the Great House still stand magnificently fashioned from pure cut 2’ thick stone. On the property is the oldest swimming pool in Jamaica which goes back three hundred years, with near Olympic dimensions being 71ft long and 47ft wide ranging from 4 to 10 feet in depth. There is a rope swing too!

Mineral Water is supplied to this historic pool and a “Kiddie Pool” via an aqueduct ¼ mile long. Beginning at the riverhead, water flows constantly and ends in two separate waterfalls. The therapeutic value of the Mineral Water has been highly touted in the relief of Arthritis as well as muscle or bone problems due to the concentration of Iron, Calcium, Chloride, Magnesium and several other natural minerals.

The view from Abeokuta Private Nature Park is quite spectacular and breathtaking due to the “bird’s eye” altitude encompassing the distant ocean, spreading fields of sugar cane and enormous “paw-paw” fields that appear as a carpet of grass. There is the “Olumo Rock” which you can see on the Nature Tour. This rock is found in one other place in the world, Abeokuta, Nigeria, Africa! Abeokuta is a crime-free community with no hassles and the beautifully kept grounds are Harmonious and Tranquil with flowers and fruit trees all around.

If you are looking for that special Wedding Venue, Group Gathering Spot or just a relaxing day in the hills, Abeokuta should be your first choice. The entire park is dotted with picnic areas, playgrounds for volleyball, football or cricket and BarBQ Cook Outs. Managing Directors, Owen and Mitsy Banhan can be reached at 876-957-7719 or 876-823-1587. Abeokuta Private Nature Park is just off the B8 Main Highway between Ferris Cross and Montego Bay just a few miles from Ferris Cross. Just look for the sign at the road.

Credits
    Now this is a positive thread....bless up.
    "Giving up is hard to do
    When you really love someone
    Giving up .... so hard to do
    When you still depend upon
    Her warm and tender touch
    Her kiss and her hug..........her caress
    Oooooh that used to mean so much
    And bring you happiness"

- Donny Hathaway

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by rayt2009 View Post
    Now this is a positive thread...