Thread: African Caribbeans CHOSE to be WHITE in UK ?

Credits

Question African Caribbeans CHOSE to be WHITE in UK ?

20 per cent of African Caribbean respondents changed their ethnicity in the last Census

18/09/2007 | uk

People may know how to fill in the form but the categories may not reflect how they really see themselves.

Professor Robert Moore, University of Liverpool
    Researchers at the University of Liverpool have found that 20 per cent of people who selected ‘Black Caribbean’ in the 1991 Census selected a different ethnic category in 2001.

Researchers, who analysed data from UK censuses found that in some ethnic groups larger numbers of people tended to change their identity. White ethnic groups were least likely to change their ethnicity, with less than 1% changing their group since 1991. But people in the ‘Black Caribbean’ group, were more likely to change their ethnic identity, with 20 per cent of respondents changing between censuses.

Professor Robert Moore from the University’s School of Sociology and Social Policy, said: “In some groups it appeared as though ethnic identity was changing; with closer analysis we found that these changes related to changes in the census itself. Some people changed their ethnic identity to a category used in the 2001 census which they felt described their ethnicity more accurately than those used in 1991 for example.”

Speaking to Black Britain about the research, Professor Moore explained that in some instances, a young person might have had their ethnicity chosen for them by the head of the household, who usually fills in the Census form. But when that person moves away from home and completes the form themselves, they may chose to describe their ethnicity differently.

In the 2001 Census, one fifth of respondents who described themselves as ‘Black Caribbean’ in 1991 had changed their ethnicity to white in 2001. Professor Moore told Black Britain that the design of the Census form was partly to blame and some of those who changed their identity had made genuine errors in 1991.

Researchers also found that those who had married or re-married between censuses were more likely to change their ethnic identity than those who had remained married for the ten-year period between censuses. These factors had more influence on changes in ethnic identify than social factors, such as social mobility, employment or education.

Professor Moore told Black Britain that this was more likely in mixed marriages where the husband had selected the category for his wife to describe her ethnicity in 1991 but divorce and separation, which would leave to the wife selecting her own ethnicity category in the 2001 Census might lead to a change in ethnicity.

But according to Professor Moore, the ethnicity categories in the Census are not necessarily a reflection of how people really view their ethnicity and identity:

“To social scientists ethnicity is about identity - how we and those closest to us see ourselves. The Census, however, uses more ‘administrative’ categories of the kind needed to monitor the impact of equality policies. People may know how to fill in the form but the categories may not reflect how they really see themselves.”
    Agitate until we create a stable society that benefits all our people.
    Instigate the nation until we remedy the injustices of society.
    Motivate our people to set a meaningful path for coming generations.
    Educate our people to free our minds and develop our consciousness

Mwongozi Cudjoe (Chedmond Browne)
    Chairman of Free Montserrat United Movement

Credits
    Wel, being that the majority of them are mixed they can choose whatever they want! Even if they weren't they can get over it. Glad they are messing with the system...

Credits
    no big deal

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Wel, being that the majority of them are mixed they can choose whatever they want! Even if they weren't they can get over it. Glad they are messing with the system...

*shm*

who gave u the authority to determine that the MAJORITY OF BLACK AFRICARIBBEANS are mixed ?

Based on what studies ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca_souljah View Post
    *shm*

who gave u the authority to determine that the MAJORITY OF BLACK AFRICARIBBEANS are mixed ?

Based on what studies ?
    Nothing in my posted stated anything of the sort. Look at what you bolded above and calm yourself.

Professor Moore told Black Britain that this was more likely in mixed marriages where the husband had selected the category for his wife to describe her ethnicity in 1991 but divorce and separation, which would leave to the wife selecting her own ethnicity category in the 2001 Census might lead to a change in ethnicity.
    My comment is based on this. If most of those who did such are in mixed marriages, it not unlikely that they and especially any children they have may have made a switch....

Credits

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Nothing in my posted stated anything of the sort. Look at what you bolded above and calm yourself.

My comment is based on this. If most of those who did such are in mixed marriages, it not unlikely that they and especially any children they have may have made a switch....

Speaking to Black Britain about the research, Professor Moore explained that in some instances, a young person might have had their ethnicity chosen for them by the head of the household, who usually fills in the Census form. But when that person moves away from home and completes the form themselves, they may chose to describe their ethnicity differently

too many unsurities ....no enuff fact

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca_souljah View Post
    Speaking to Black Britain about the research, Professor Moore explained that in some instances, a young person might have had their ethnicity chosen for them by the head of the household, who usually fills in the Census form. But when that person moves away from home and completes the form themselves, they may chose to describe their ethnicity differently

too many unsurities ....no enuff fact

Fair enough. Either way, it's not that serious...

Credits
    Maybe if they allowed people to list all of their ethnicities this wouldn't happen. Those people may want to account for all of their "races" - round robin style. LOL

If it were me, I would check Chinese (East Asian) one time and Indian (Southeast Asian) the next census. And, no I don't have a drop of either.

I know that the census is very useful in many ways but we have to move away from forcing people into a ethnic box.

Credits
    I am WONDERING how come WHITE PEOPLE doh CONCERN themselves with whether or not they're PURE or MIXED with other GROUPS. It seems like it is BLACKS who always RUNNING to say that they're MIXED wid this or that? Nothing is wrong wid dat of course!

The WHOLE of SOUTHERN EUROPE is MIXED, but yuh doh hear anything in the news about their COUSINS in NORTHERN EUROPE R so-called PURER than they're.

This reminds me of a a PROMINENT BLACK MAN who went out of his way to TRACE his ANCESTRAL tree....after getting some PERTINENT answers he decides to take an ADMIXTURE test to see how much IRISH blood runs through his body...it turned out to be 35%....so he decides to VISIT his relatives in IRELAND (they did not know he is BLACK).....well buoyyyy, when de PROMINENT AFRICAN AMERICAN introduced himself, PROUDLY, that he is part Irish and how the people that he is talking to are his RELATIVES, mannnn, all I can say is, ah FEEL SORRY for the African American fella.

It was one of the COLDEST GREETING I ever saw a person RECEIVED from a so-called RELATIVE. The man VIDEOTAPED the entire EPISODE. It was then he REALIZED that he was TRULY a BLACKMAN and he will always be a BLACK despite his 35% IRISH blood.
    Last edited by VINCYPOWA; 02-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    I am WONDERING how come WHITE PEOPLE doh CONCERN themselves with whether or not they're PURE or MIXED with other GROUPS. It seems like it is BLACKS who always RUNNING to say that they're MIXED wid this or that? Nothing is wrong wid dat of course!

The WHOLE of SOUTHERN EUROPE is MIXED, but yuh doh hear anything in the news about their COUSINS in NORTHERN EUROPE R so-called PURER than they're.

This reminds me of a a PROMINENT BLACK MAN who went out of his way to TRACE his ANCESTRAL tree....after getting some PERTINENT answers he decided to take an ADMIXTURE test to see how much IRISH blood ran through his body...it turned out to be 35%....so he decided to VISIT his relates in IRELAND (they did not know he was BLACK).....well buoyyyy, when de PROMINENT AFRICAN AMERICAN introduced himself, PROUDLY, that he is part Irish and how the people that he was talking to are his RELATIVES, mannnn, all I can say is, ah FEEL SORRY for the African American fella.

It was one of the COLDEST GREETING I ever saw a person RECEIVED from a so-called RELATIVE. The man VIDEOTAPED the entire EPISODE. It was then he REALIZED that he was TRULY a BLACK and he will always be a BLACK despite his 35% IRISH blood.
    I know plenty people muss ask dis arready but what is it with the caps?

Really.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    I know plenty people muss ask dis arready but what is it with the caps?

Really.
    My OWN STYLE.