Thread: African Arts Festival in Brooklyn

Credits

African Arts Festival in Brooklyn

African arts fest
    sets up in Barry Park

The International African Arts Festival is leaving the streets of Bedford-Stuyvesant for greener pastures - literally.
    Starting this year, the festival, which runs Saturday through Monday, will be held at Commodore Barry Park, across from the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

The change of venue was announced last week during a reception at Brooklyn Borough Hall.

"For many years, we were in our hometown of Bedford-Stuyvesant. Now we're moving toward the water," Khadijah Matin, a festival coordinator, told those attending the reception. "It may be a little stretch when you travel, but it's a good stretch."

The move to the park will allow the festival to have three stages for entertainment and activities during the day, along with the benefit concerts each night, Matin said. Also, the festival day will be longer, from 10a.m. to 9 p.m.

Now in its 33rd year, the festival attracts thousands from Brooklyn, Africa, Asia and Europe, Matin said. For about 25 years, it was held at Boys and Girls High School. But when the school's athletic field was renovated, the festival had to move.

"For the last two years, we held it on Fulton St., but it no longer had that festival feel," said Mzee Moyo, the chief of operations for the festival.

Moyo said organizers looked for another site in Bedford-Stuyvesant but there was not a park large enough.

"Commodore Barry Park is one of the larger parks in Brooklyn. It will be a nice change," Moyo said.

The festival includes music, dance, a talent search and showcase, activities for children, a fashion and hair show and 70 to 80 vendors selling food and Afrocentric items.

Shirley McRae, chairwoman of Community Board 2, which includes Commodore Barry Park, said: "We look forward to the many vendors and the cultural activities that will be shared with this community for the first time in festival history.

"Although this is the 33rd year of the festival, many people in this community are not familiar with it. I hope people who are coming for the first time will have an enjoyable, positive experience."

Bill Jones, who oversees festival volunteers, said he has attended every festival.

"The culture of the African-American is our most precious possession," Jones said. "The festival gives us a chance to bring everybody together to share in the harmony we have as African people. It gives our children a chance to experience the rainbow of African cultures."

General admission to the festival is free. Benefit concert fees range from $10 to $30. The park is on Navy St. between Park and Flushing Aves. For more information, call (718) 638-6700 or visit the Web site: www.internationalafricanartsfestival.com

Originally published on June 30, 2004

Credits
    This is a really nice festival. I have been missing the last few years, but when I went, it was really nice. Can find some great artwork.

Credits
    on sunday 5-8pm the performances will be by xtatik and krosfyah.

Credits
    when is it?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by spicydimples
    when is it?
    Good Morning,

Same park where we have our IMIX Basketball Games, but it will probably be in the field and handball court side.. Navy & Nassau Streets..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shooter
    Good Morning,

Same park where we have our IMIX Basketball Games, but it will probably be in the field and handball court side.. Navy & Nassau Streets..

hey! how r u?

do u know when it is? i might be in ny this summer...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by spicydimples
    hey! how r u?

do u know when it is? i might be in ny this summer...
    Machel and Xtatic gonna be there Sunday, July 4th

Credits
    http://www.iaafestival.com/

I will be there for Xtatic and Krosfyah.

Credits
    I can't wait to see the show!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC2BGI
    http://www.iaafestival.com/

I will be there for Xtatic and Krosfyah.
    Sunday 5 - 8pm $30

Credits
    I believe dat we suppose to be dere

Credits
    Tickets are on sale at all major outlets, including JW Records, Allans Bakery, Glorias, etc.

I will post all the locations as soon as I get the list that supposed to be in my email...