Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Is is acceptable for older siblings to discipline the younger ones?

Black Madonna

Is is acceptable for older siblings to discipline the younger ones?

what about opposite gender siblings. should an older brother discipline his sister if he thinks she is getting too fast? do you think it causes resentment amongst the siblings or is it perfectly ok>

Credits
    Discipline how?

Black Madonna
    spankings, scolding, etc. however discipline is given in the household

I can only be me.... MadamStatuesque's Avatar MadamStatuesque is offline
    Credits
    Physically no.
    Not a single ounce of fock shall be given today...

Credits
    No way. I don't hit my kids so I will not accept that no one hits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Madonna View Post
    spankings, scolding, etc. however discipline is given in the household

Juan Dan
    depends on their reaction
    some kids need medication
    some need a talk

TC
    Credits
    I think it's okay.

I used to discipline my younger sisters. It usually consisted of a boof and send off to bedroom.
    ladyrastafari likes this.

Credits
    Too biased to give an honest answer, so
    Hibernation is a covert preparation for a more overt action.

Credits
    Mocha beating you again huh?
    Collie4Nyah likes this.
    Say no to drugs.
    Smoke weed.

Taj
    Credits
    Typically I say no, but it depends on the personality of the discipliner and the relationship with the disciplined.
    It feels unfair cos it's yet another person that has dominion over you, someone you feel you should be on the same level with. It can lead to feelings of powerlessness in children which isn't good, either they become difficult and oppose everything or the accept anything without questioning which are both bad positions.
    BacchanalDiva likes this.

Credits
    If I leave my daughter (now daughters) with someone it is 100% because I trust the care he/she will provide them. If they happen to misbehave in my absence, I know that the person I left in charge will not get carried away in his/her attempt to regain order. Frankly, I do know that my kids will not do anything extreme that would lead them to be physically disciplined.

Gladiator
    I am ok with it..ONCE the older sibling is an Adult, for example their are families with siblings twelve plus years older..

Credits
    I am okay with it.. and it depends on the age difference of the siblings... for a sibling a year younger then it's going to be harder than discliplining siblings 6 and 12 years younger.. for my siblings, when my parents were not home i was the "Adult" in loco parentis.. so i assumed responsibility for them.. so if i say do x, it's do x, no questioning about why, when, what or how... if my parents are home and i say do x, then if you want go to them and whine thats fine.. but in their absence I am the one who dictates the pace... so get to it.. same sex, different sex.. dont matter.. I would talk and reason with you and explain why something must be done or needed to be done... only after repeated admonitions would some physical reprimand come.. usually after i talk to you at least 5 times... i not really on the beating children thing.. so i talk and then if you dont listen then is problems.. for you. and my siblings and i get along great.. so it depends.. and licks is only when you little.. after you pass a certain age, your ability to interact with the outside world and your hobbies are simply curtailed or retracted... you want to go out and play.. you didnt do what you were told to do.. you will stay inside and you will do some studying.. or help me peel potatoes or some other nonsense lol
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    whats the age difference we are talking about here... i know its not a vast age difference where the older sibling is a full fledged adullt because the answer will be too obvious.. i have a brother 15 years younger than me and it was expected that i discipline him and give him talking toos and stuff like that..

But similar age ranges, nah... The older sibling might no understand concepts such as restraint, and what kind of punishment is fitting for whatever infraction, and so forth
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    Funny thing is I was just talking about this 2 weeks ago with a family member.

I feel that there is no one answer, but it ultimately comes down to the role the older sibling is playing in the younger sibling's life, and how discipline is being administered.
    • If the older sibling is raising the younger sibling it's acceptable. If they aren't they should leave disciplinary action to parents.
    • Making the sibling accept consequences for undesirable behaviour is necessary as long as abuse is not involved.

should an older brother discipline his sister if he thinks she is getting too fast?
    He should check her, he shouldn't discipline her unless he is raising her.

do you think it causes resentment amongst the siblings
    Yes there will be resentment at times, but you always resent people who make you face the consequences of your actions at some point - simply because they made you. People resent their parents while they're grounded but they get over it as they understand it's for their good over all yusimi? It shouldn't cause permanent resentment unless the sibling was stepping outside of their role in the family to administer punishment - hence my saying if they'e raising the younger sibling fine - if not defer to the parents.

That being said, older siblings should look out for their younger siblings and check them when they are messing up always, but that is different to disciplining them.
    Last edited by TweetaFineeta; 07-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast