Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: An abundance of caution?

Taj
    Credits

An abundance of caution?

HPD responds to accusations of racial profiling with Oklahoma teen, dancers | khou.com Houston

The police officers then called Landry’s parents in Oklahoma. Landry’s mother, Destiny Thompson, was shocked that there was an issue.

“’Are you aware your daughter is with two black men?’ When I said ‘Yes, I’m aware of that,’ he called into questioning our parenting,” the mother said.

“Emmanuel had a letter signed by us, had every contact number they could’ve possibly needed, he had her insurance card, he had her original birth certificate, not a copy,” the mother said.

In a statement, HPD said, “Given the age discrepancies…and the child had no relatives in the area, officers in an abundance of caution, did their utmost to ensure her safety” and sent her to CPS.
    even if they weren't black would you have given permission for that trip?
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Black or not, I guess she trusted them enough to send her kid off with them.

I don't understand why they put her away even after having all the proofs that her parents were aware and consented.

Credits
    I don't mind the initial stop because you can never be to careful but after they called the parents to confirm there's no reason why they should have dropped her off at CPS.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    HPD responds to accusations of racial profiling with Oklahoma teen, dancers | khou.com Houston

even if they weren't black would you have given permission for that trip?
    exactly. As a 13 year old girl? Umm, no. Trust wouldn't even compute or register in my parents head in a situation like that. No matter how much they would perhaps like the young men, there is no way under heaven and earth they would permit a road trip like that. It would be a total blank stare. So I have a really hard time even getting past that part regardless of whether her parents gave permission to these two young men.

And i think its easy for us to say the police were racial profiling or being overly cautious even after the parents confirmed they gave guardianship to the men.

Because you never know if the parents are trusting the wrong ppl. They could easily be fooled into letting their child go with someone and not realize it is a mistake. Plus parents are known to do stupid things with their kids so how do the police know her parents didnt sell her into some child slavery ring, etc etc. We all hear these hard to believe news stories more often these days. So given the police are suspicious by virtue of their job, I don't necessarily fault them for being cautious. Might be my own sense of paranoia and expecting the unexpected but so I see it.

Does it suck they were in jail and the child was put into a temp foster situation, yeah it is. That would vex me too.

But what would be everyone's reaction if it turns out the parents screwed up and trusted two men who were up to know good with their daughter. So black or white, we'd be cussing the police for not checking things further and making sure the 13 year old was truly safe.

Sorry I dont see it like others do.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    exactly. As a 13 year old girl? Umm, no. Trust wouldn't even compute or register in my parents head in a situation like that. No matter how much they would perhaps like the young men, there is no way under heaven and earth they would permit a road trip like that. It would be a total blank stare. So I have a really hard time even getting past that part regardless of whether her parents gave permission to these two young men.

And i think its easy for us to say the police were racial profiling or being overly cautious even after the parents confirmed they gave guardianship to the men.

Because you never know if the parents are trusting the wrong ppl. They could easily be fooled into letting their child go with someone and not realize it is a mistake. Plus parents are known to do stupid things with their kids so how do the police know her parents didnt sell her into some child slavery ring, etc etc. We all hear these hard to believe news stories more often these days. So given the police are suspicious by virtue of their job, I don't necessarily fault them for being cautious. Might be my own sense of paranoia and expecting the unexpected but so I see it.

Does it suck they were in jail and the child was put into a temp foster situation, yeah it is. That would vex me too.

But what would be everyone's reaction if it turns out the parents screwed up and trusted two men who were up to know good with their daughter. So black or white, we'd be cussing the police for not checking things further and making sure the 13 year old was truly safe.

I feel you but isn't that what athletes do? I mean I heard of athletes staying with random families so that they can train with them.

LB
    Credits
    Perhaps I dont know any details about that and how that works etc.

It is the age of the girl that is the difference for me. And this isnt a family she is sent to with lots of checks and balances but two young males.....seems less structured than what you mentioned about the athlete situation.

Race can definitely play a part in the police's reaction. I wont say no on that. Maybe a white girl with white guys wouldnt catch their eye as quick. But if the police did notice I damn well hope they do look closer at the situation for everyone's sake.

Again, dont think many will agree with me and that is fine. That's just how I see it.

DSP
    Credits

yeah it's the 21st century, there are teenage girls all over America held hostage in
    houses being forced into prostitution. I remember they busted a big ring back in 2008/2009 in Chicago. About 30-40 girls 16 and under(from different states). 20 something year old men will date them for a while then ask them to sneak out to go on a trip, or they'll get one of the orphaned prostitutes to befriend the girls in school and ask them to come over for a sleepover. Not to mention Charles Ramsey rescuing those girls in Cleveland. It's scary.

Irony is that this situation would be much more innocent in 1985 and the police
    would have been just as bad or even worse.

They target girls between 10 and 14 because they're approaching age but most likely don't know their geography yet or how to get help.
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

Credits
    Perhaps I dont know any details about that and how that works etc.

It is the age of the girl that is the difference for me. And this isnt a family she is sent to with lots of checks and balances but two young males.....seems less structured than what you mentioned about the athlete situation.

Race can definitely play a part in the police's reaction. I wont say no on that. Maybe a white girl with white guys wouldnt catch their eye as quick. But if the police did notice I damn well hope they do look closer at the situation for everyone's sake.

Again, dont think many will agree with me and that is fine. That's just how I see it.
    I can't 100% speak for the structure but I think it wouldn't be that different especially considering that they have her documents.

Once again the police's initial reaction isn't the issue for me. They saw something suspicious and they followed up on it as they should.

I didn't like the fact that they called the parents and asked do you know your daughter is with 2 BLACK men. Why couldn't it be that your underage daughter is out with 2 ADULT males?

Couldn't they have called the PD from where they were from to verify their story? And then after they let the guys go - they put her in CPS, which IMHO, not a safe place either.
    DSP and mz_JazE like this.

Credits
    I wonder how does this work with interracial families.

LB
    Credits
    A family taking guardianship of you is very different than two single men. Boy or girl child, I just know me, that wouldnt work in any level.

And police talk in detailed descriptors (perp was so tall, hair colour, build etc) so referring to them as black men isnt a big deal to me. They are black. lol

I mean yeah could they handle this way or that way better? Maybe. But as DSP pointed out above the kind of potential fukkery that is out there for young boys and girls, is too mind boggling for me.
    Lesser of two evils and all of that. If they were men up to know good with her then CPS would be paradise.....This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you dont scenarios.
    Hello BKLYN likes this.

Credits
    A family taking guardianship of you is very different than two single men. Boy or girl child, I just know me, that wouldnt work in any level.

And police talk in detailed descriptors (perp was so tall, hair colour, build etc) so referring to them as black men isnt a big deal to me. They are black. lol

I mean yeah could they handle this way or that way better? Maybe. But as DSP pointed out above the kind of potential fukkery that is out there for young boys and girls, is too mind boggling for me.
    Lesser of two evils and all of that. If they were men up to know good with her then CPS would be paradise.....This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you dont scenarios.
    Isn't it essentially the same thing though?

What about when kids go to tournaments and competitions and etc? Parents give whichever chaperone temporary guardianship if they are not there.

I understand your feelings on the situation and I agree. I just think that the cops took it to a level that it didn't need to go to.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by femmeayitienne View Post
    Isn't it essentially the same thing though?

What about when kids go to tournaments and competitions and etc? Parents give whichever chaperone temporary guardianship if they are not there.

I understand your feelings on the situation and I agree. I just think that the cops took it to a level that it didn't need to go to.
    yes the potential for abuse is there for any situation but you cant tell me you think the optics is the same? Mum, dad and kids looking after you is different than some single guy or woman. You really wouldnt hesitate even a bit if it was your kid? May not be fair but I wont lie and say it would feel the same for me. Not if its my flesh and blood.

It happened in the south so race may have made the over-react with the handcuff business but I am good with them checking into the situation even if it ruffled feathers to make sure the child was alright. I'm gonna stay stuck on how young she was to begin with.

Credits
    yes the potential for abuse is there for any situation but you cant tell me you think the optics is the same? Mum, dad and kids looking after you is different than some single guy or woman. You really wouldnt hesitate even a bit if it was your kid? May not be fair but I wont lie and say it would feel the same for me. Not if its my flesh and blood.

It happened in the south so race may have made the over-react with the handcuff business but I am good with them checking into the situation even if it ruffled feathers to make sure the child was alright. I'm gonna stay stuck on how young she was to begin with.
    I would hesitate to leave my kids with anybody PERIOD!! sheeeiiiit lol I'm crazy like that.

But realistically speaking, I know that everyone isn't like me. And when you have kids that are pursuing certain things, you might have to trust other people with them.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by femmeayitienne View Post
    I would hesitate to leave my kids with anybody PERIOD!! sheeeiiiit lol I'm crazy like that.

But realistically speaking, I know that everyone isn't like me. And when you have kids that are pursuing certain things, you might have to trust other people with them.

I hear ya

Credits
    But seriously though, I would like to know the experiences of black men with biracial children that may look white.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast