Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8yr old girl raped and now her parents don't want her

Credits

8yr old girl raped and now her parents don't want her

by Amanda Lee Myers - Jul. 24, 2009 12:00 AM
    Associated Press .

Authorities said Thursday that four boys ages 9 to 14 took turns raping an 8-year-old girl behind a shed for more than 10 minutes in what Phoenix police are calling one of the most horrific cases they've ever seen.

The outrage over the allegations intensified after police said the girl's parents criticized her after the attack and blamed her for bringing shame on the family.

"The father told the caseworker and an officer in her presence that he didn't want her back. He said, 'Take her, I don't want her,' " police Sgt. Andy Hill said.
    The 14-year-old boy was charged Wednesday as an adult with two counts of sexual assault and kidnapping, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office said. He appeared in court Thursday and is being held without bond.

The other boys - ages 9, 10, and 13 - were charged as juveniles with sexual assault. The 10- and 13-year-old boys also were charged with kidnapping, the office said Thursday.

Phoenix investigators said the boys lured the girl to an empty shed July 16 under the pretense of offering her gum. The boys held the girl down while they took turns assaulting her, police said.

"She was brutally sexually assaulted for a period of about 10 to 15 minutes," Hill said.

Officers responding to an emergency call reporting hysterical screams found the girl partially clothed and the boys running from the scene.

"This is a deeply disturbing case that has gripped our community," Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas said Thursday. "Our office will seek justice for the young victim in this heartrending situation."

Hill cited the family's background as the reason the family shunned the girl. All five children are refugees from the West African nation of Liberia.

In some parts of Africa, women often are blamed for being raped for enticing men or simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Girls who are raped are often shunned by their families.

"It's a shame-based culture, so the crime is not as important as protecting the family name and the name of the community," said Tony Weedor, a Liberian refugee in Littleton, Colo., and co-founder of the CenterPoint International Foundation, which helps Liberians resettle in the U.S. "I just feel so sorry for this little girl. Some of these people will not care about the trauma she's going through - they're more concerned about the shame she brought on the family."

Ali Keita, a Liberian refugee and president of the Arizona Mandingo Association, works with refugees to ease their integration into U.S. society. Keita said that Liberian families may question why sexual-assault victims were in a situation that left them open for attack but that the initial response likely stems from disappointment and frustration with the family's circumstances.

"(As a parent), you feel like you've failed . . . to protect them," Keita said.

In recent years, Liberia has made efforts to combat rape under the leadership of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who has sought to dispel the stigma associated with sexual assault by publicly acknowledging that she was herself the victim of attempted rape during the country's civil war.

The girl's healing process will be particularly difficult, said Paul Penzone of Childhelp, which aids young victims of crime. Authorities said the victim was in the care of Child Protective Services.

"These four boys used what was a ploy to entice her to a place where they could take advantage of her almost like a pack of wolves," he said.

"And what's so disturbing beyond the initial crime is the fact that a child needs to have somewhere to feel safe, and you would think that would be in a home with her own family," not in state custody, Penzone said.

Republic reporter Maria Polletta contributed to this article.

Oldest boy in assault of girl to be tried as adult
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    That's just crazy. I say string them up by the balls, and cut off they piggy with dull rusty knives.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    they should charge the parents for being dumbasses. How u could disown the child after she experienced something so horrible. What the hell is this world coming to man?!?!?! OMG

TC
    Credits
    This is horrible!

Credits
    I see that they a liberian so that is a cultural thing fro people from that geographic area

Still really sad
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Taj
    Credits
    Those little animals!

Really now 4 raped her and she is only 8!!!!!!!!

I really do favor rehabilitation but what can you really do with those boys now? This is crazy!
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    !!! @ the father.
    Whether there is a moral component to being less clothed than an European, I'm not getting into because that's a personal thing.
    Carnival: carne valle: farewell flesh means it is time to be myself in all my godly glory. I am a man created in God's image, making me beautiful. We get half naked in the bright sun, soak up some vitamin D and jump to a rythm because as human beings, rythms entrance us; they harken to our mothers' rhythmic heartbeat in the womb. Its a natural, healthy experience.

Credits
    They should just hurry up and deport the parent back to Liberia.

Kinda curious where did Liberia get those ideals from.
    Ain't they suppose to be of kin of WI.

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by swallow View Post

Whats the majority religious denomination? Muslim?

edit:
    40% christian
    40% indigenous religion
    20% Islam
    Last edited by Taj; 07-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits

20% of their population is muslim and you know some muslims will disown or even kill the women in their family who may have be raped or have premarital sex. Maybe that family is of that belief.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    Religions: Christian 40%, Muslim 20%, animist 40%.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits

No, the US

It was settled by freed slaves.
    Liberia, "land of the free," was founded by free African-Americans and freed slaves from the United States in 1820. An initial group of 86 immigrants, who came to be called Americo-Liberians, established a settlement in Christopolis (now Monrovia, named after U.S. President James Monroe) on February 6, 1820.
    Liberia (06/09)

Back to the story, I have no words. None...I'm just disgusted and disturbed by this news.
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    Not really they are mixed.
    From WI heritage.
    After slavery thats where they took all the Africans back to.
    And some them had ######################## spouses.

Credits
    read up on Liberia here
    Liberia (06/09)
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits
    wow that is so sad and crazy..poor little chile will be scarred for life....

now as for the parents, what can we say, that is de people culture and belief oui....

I hope the system here helps her..
    Live life in concert with your values!
    Never be paralyzed!
    Don't wait for people to change! - Dr. Robert Brooks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast