Thread: 7/7

Credits

7/7

one year on

Britain fell silent at noon for two minutes to mark the first anniversary of the London bombings that claimed 52 lives and injured hundreds.
    The silence is one of the events taking place to commemorate the 7 July suicide attacks on the capital.

Flowers were laid at the sites where bombs went off on three Tube trains and a bus at the times of the blasts.

Tony Blair said the anniversary of the attacks was an opportunity for "the whole nation to come together".

A public ceremony with readings will be held later in Regent's Park.

PUBLIC EVENTS
    0800-1600: Public invited to add flowers to mosaic in Queen Mary's Gardens, Regent's Park.
    1200: National two-minute silence
    1230: Multi-faith service of remembrance, St Pancras Church, Euston Road
    1800-1830: Commemorative event, Queen Mary's Gardens, Regent's Park

Reporters' log

The two-minute silence was being observed across the country, including the Wimbledon tennis championships and at other events.

The commemoration comes as Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair gave a firm warning London must expect another attack.

"I know there will be further attacks, but as to whether we will stop those, well we've stopped three already," Sir Ian told BBC News.

And Colin Cramphorn, chief constable of the West Yorkshire force said he believed other 7 July-style attacks in the UK were "not just fanciful" but "very possible".

On Thursday, a video of one of the bombers, Shehzad Tanweer, was aired on al-Jazeera television. It showed the 22-year-old, from Leeds, warning of further attacks.

Private events

Members of the public have been laying purple carnations within a floral mosaic in Queen Mary's Gardens, Regent's Park.

Later, survivors and the bereaved will complete the centre of the mosaic with yellow gerberas, and the public can pay their respects over the weekend.

In Pictures: 7/7 recalled
    City seeking normality

Mr Livingstone was joined by Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell in laying flowers at King's Cross station - which became a main focus for tributes in the aftermath of the attacks - at the exact time of the Underground bombings.

Mr Livingstone told the BBC News website Friday was a time to remember those individuals whose lives had been ruined by the attack.

It was also and a time to be proud of London's unique character, which had been a source of envy to the bombers, he said.

7 JULY ASSISTANCE CENTRE
    Confidential helpline to provide advice and support to anyone affected by events of 7 July or the anniversary
    Phones manned 24 hours from 5-10 July
    Centre and helpline open seven days a week at all other times - answerphone service at night
    Also supports those affected by recent bombings in Doha, Sharm El Sheikh, Turkey, Bali and Dahab, and Bahrain boat disaster
    Helpline - 0845 054 7444

Ms Jowell said the government would not be granting the wishes of many relatives to hold a public inquiry into the events.

She said an inquiry would mean an "enormous diversion of security resources which need to be directed to preventing this happening again".

Richard Innishannon - one of the first on the scene at the Tavistock Square bus bombing - was among those gathered at King's Cross.

He said he has been so traumatised by what he saw a year ago that he has only been on a train once since.

"My stomach is in knots but I don't live that far from here and I just felt that I had to be here today."

Memorial plaques

The bells of London's St Paul's Cathedral tolled at 0850 BST to mark a year since the bombs went off on trains near Aldgate and Edgware Road stations, and on another travelling between King's Cross and Russell Square.

They also tolled an hour later to mark the fourth blast on the number 30 double-decker bus at the junction of Tavistock Square and Upper Woburn place.

Other events on Friday will be held in private for victims' families and survivors.

Memorial plaques at King's Cross, Russell Square, Edgware Road, Aldgate and Tavistock Square were unveiled.

A Book of Tributes, with a foreword from the Prince of Wales and tributes from the bereaved, will also be unveiled in a private event.

Commuters across the capital have seen a high-visibility police presence on the transport network.

the victims

Credits
    dear god

i ask you to be with the friends and families that have lost people as a result of the attacks and also those that have suffered physical and mental trauma. i ask you to bless then and extend to them the thoughts and feelings of the many around the world that wish them their deepest condolances. i also ask that you reach into the minds of those who wish to carry out any other attacks and show them the error of their ways so that no more inocent blood will spill.

amen

Credits
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by TTmudder
    dear god

i ask you to be with the friends and families that have lost people as a result of the attacks and also those that have suffered physical and mental trauma. i ask you to bless then and extend to them the thoughts and feelings of the many around the world that wish them their deepest condolances. i also ask that you reach into the minds of those who wish to carry out any other attacks and show them the error of their ways so that no more inocent blood will spill.

amen

Credits
    amen
    doh moke jake

Credits
    Amen

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    Amen
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    amen......good thread