Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 50 Years of Carnival on Eastern Parkway....

Credits

50 Years of Carnival on Eastern Parkway....

Still going strong, regardless of the playa haters amongst us !

Give thanks........share your memories!
    Socapro and trinifrombx like this.

Credits
    While I still think they need to make MAJOR improvements to this parade, I have a lot of memories going to this thing. There are some songs I hear and just instantly think of Eastern Parkway.

But not only Haitian songs. It's where I really came to love and appreciate Soca before traveling to those islands.

But let's be clear here. Haitians are still Kings of the Parkway !
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post

As I have matured lol , I am not in th thick of things but I still enjoy the Brooklyn carnival vibes , our people, music , Women

You bring a great point on " haters" and yep it still going strong

I remember the year I joined the camoflage band
    All the other times witnessing the mixing of all islands
    Caribbean strong - not letting the haters and some issues raining on our parade

Credits
    last night I hung out with some friends I have known forever
    And we ended up at nice backyard party playing best calypso and reggae
    Awesome vibes ....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    last night I hung out with some friends I have known forever
    And we ended up at nice backyard party playing best calypso and reggae
    Awesome vibes ....
    This is the best part of the weekend. So many BBQs, basement parties, and events going on.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Tikreyol,

Yeah man.....went we landed here in BK...I recall my parents taking me up here mid 70s....then my sisters took over, then it was my turn.....lol.

Yeah, the pretty mas always stood out first, Hawks coming down the Parkway with authority, right back to the mas camp on Flatbush and Empire......the vibes, remember one time when Rupee was live and doing jump....was out..of this World....we dun the Parkway.......!

Then......the first few times I saw it...TVice... On the Big Truck with the best sound system and like 10,000 men just chanting and singing along......mind you, MFers..lol, have no interest in taking a wine...just reppin for their culture...Priceless .....!

Ah........the Day Elephant Man single handily lock down the Parkway.......it was the Heights of Caribbean Unity.

trinifrombx and tikreyol like this.

Credits

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    As I have matured lol , I am not in th thick of things but I still enjoy the Brooklyn carnival vibes , our people, music , Women

You bring a great point on " haters" and yep it still going strong

I remember the year I joined the camoflage band
    All the other times witnessing the mixing of all islands
    Caribbean strong - not letting the haters and some issues raining on our parade
    Maaaan, yeah, next yute up.......lol, want them to experience it and for the tradition to continue!

Wait.......you were in that Camo band..? I was there, will look for my pics....I think that was the last time that Yellow Belly Dragon was on the parkway, he was there too...before he high tail out of BK.....

Yeah, you can say what you want....no place like BK on Labor Day at the heights of it...Women, culture, vibes, etc.....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post

WOW, 50 years already, something wrong, I saw no signs on Eastern Parkway, and no money for Panorama, WTA, smh.

But yes, give thanks , this is Wi Ting !

We want to see it carry on.

Best memories, way way too many !

just seeing our folks up there freein up !
    Socapro likes this.

Credits
    Time to end this garbage parade. Since certain groups take over it is very lackluster, it's not even a real carnival more like a Haitian noise fest

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    Time to end this garbage parade. Since certain groups take over it is very lackluster, it's not even a real carnival more like a Haitian noise fest
    Smh, these Bihomos never seem to amaze me ! Sad.

Credits
    Even with all the added police protection the BiHomos still found a way to shame us !

Now, let's not get it twisted, I understand that every day in NYC we have a murder, but damn, these Lowlives can't wait until Tuesday!

I guess this is the harsh reality that we will always have crime come Labor Day , the next day, etc.

We just have no behavior, poor role models, etc.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post
    Even with all the added police protection the BiHomos still found a way to shame us !

Now, let's not get it twisted, I understand that every day in NYC we have a murder, but damn, these Lowlives can't wait until Tuesday!

I guess this is the harsh reality that we will always have crime come Labor Day , the next day, etc.

Yeah, these lowlives are truly amazing and goes to show you how empowered these yutes are no respect for authority given alk that is at stake. ......the doomsday ppl are hoping and watching, i dont think or feel any amount of security will stop these misguided yutes.. nothing at all, parade or no parade.

We just have to come to realization that we have a lot of misguide lost souls amongst us.
    Socapro likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post

you don't realize its a wack parade for wack people who miss their homeland but no one never force yall to migrate. I want this parade to end because the violence is ridiculous

my culture should not be reduced to gyrating, whorishness and debauchery
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    i was with my mother few years ago when I saw someone shoot another person. I thought that we would never return to Eastern Pkwy but we were backin fulll force the next year. I think of it like the terror attacks We can't let the crazies stop us from living our life. That incident was traumatic. I saw the smoke from the gun. My poor mom ran holding her folding chair/stool that we walk with for Labor Day. But both she and I returned the following year. My memories are more good than bad. It used to be the one day each year tht I could eat bammy or gizzarda. Especially when I was living in Jersey or Philly.

When I was young, I spent a lot of time in New York. I remember going to the parade with my prents and my father putting me on my shoulder to see the floats. I also remember making t shirts with my teenaged cousin to wear to Kiddie's Carnival. When I got older, I used to play Jouvert with a group of girls. Sometimes we just wandered around. One year we joined a band. I had more fun playing Jouvert in Brooklyn than I did playing pretty ma in TnT. And, don't get me wrong, TnT Carnival was incredible. It is just that the fun of Brooklyn Jouvert was indescribable. I remember the satire, the jab jab, the pan, the children, the older ladies dressed in ball gowns and the wild abandon of dancing in the streets of a major city at 3:00 in the morning.

LaborDay was also when I knew I could buy Jamaican movies and flags and other paraphernalia from the Caribbean that would be hard to find anywhere else. When I started hanging out with non-Jamaicans more, I had the opportunity to sample other foods. I would look forward all year to eating hard tofind Jamaican items but I also discovered Polourie on Eastern Parkway and tried Kenyan food for the first time.

Also,it used to be that every year, I would see someone that I knew who I hadn't seen in ages. I ran into a friend from grad school with her mom and grandma one year. My mom saw an old friend from before I was born, etc. It was a reunion of sorts.

I don't know what the solutionis for the violence surrounding the parade. Security is not the answer. Canceling it is not the answer. THe answer is something that a psychologist and a sociologist will have to determine. I don't even tell people about it anymore becuase I am ashamed of the violence. I know many foreigners and used to encourage tourists to go the parade if they were in town for Labor Day. Most people enjoyed it but I would not forgive myself if something happened while they were there.

In other words, the parade holds a special place in my heart. I missed this year and the past few years and don't know when or if I will ever go again but nothing can taake away the decades of good memories. It will always be that treasured little piece of home in a foreign land.
    socapineman and Socapro like this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    you don't realize its a wack parade for wack people who miss their homeland but no one never force yall to migrate. I want this parade to end because the violence is ridiculous

my culture should not be reduced to gyrating, whorishness and debauchery
    For those of us who came as childdren, this is not true. Many people were forced to migrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast