Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41 percent of St. Lucians living on less than US$2 a day - Report

Credits

41 percent of St. Lucians living on less than US$2 a day - Report

THIS IS SUPRISING, I THOUGHT ST. LUCIA HAD THE HIGHEST ECONOMY IN THE OECS. I DONT KNOW HOW THEY DO THEIR STUDIES, BUT IT MUST BE FLAWED IN SOME WAY...OR MAYBE THERE'S AN EXPLANATION?

WASHINGTON, CMC - A new report by the Washington-based Population Reference Bureau (PRB) says that Haiti continues to be the poorest country in the Caribbean and revealed alarming levels of destitution in other countries of the region.

The Bureau said in its 2009 World Population Data Sheet that 72 per cent of Haiti’s population live on less than US$2 a day.

The report comes as the United Nations said the French-speaking Caribbean country is also one of the poorest and least developed countries in the world.

The UN said Haiti has struggled in recent years with problems ranging from near-constant political upheaval, health crises, severe environmental degradation and an annual barrage of hurricanes, which killed an estimated 800 people and caused vast damage in 2008.

But the PRB said Haiti is not alone in the region’s high poverty ranking.

Pointing to the latest available data, the PRB said a surprising 41 per cent of St. Lucians live on less than US$2 a day, and that 27 per cent of Surinamese, 17 per cent of Guyanese and 14 per cent of Trinidadians live on the same amount a day.

The poverty findings are contained in the overall report, which said that the Caribbean will be among developing countries to experience vast population growth in the years ahead.

“The great bulk of today’s 1.2 billion youth - nearly 90 percent - are in developing countries,” said Carl Haub, a co-author of the report, forecasting that the world’s population will hit seven billion in 2011.

“During the next few decades, these young people will most likely continue the current trend of moving from rural areas to cities in search of education and training opportunities, gainful employment, and adequate health care,” he added.

Bill Butz, PRB’s president, said that even with declining fertility rates in many countries, world population is still growing at a rapid rate.

He said the projection for population growth in developing countries, including the Caribbean, assumes that fertility in those countries will fall to the same low levels as in today's developed countries, around two children per woman.

Butz said during the 20th century, nearly 90 per cent of population growth took place in countries classified as less developed (LDCs) by the United Nations - all countries in the Caribbean, Latin America, Africa, Asia (except Japan), and Oceania (except Australia and New Zealand).

PRB attributed what it characterized as a “remarkable development” the unprecedented decline in death rates in LDCs brought about by the spread of public health measures, health care, and disease prevention, particularly after the end of World War II in 1945.

It, however, said the “geographic imbalance” in population growth seen over the last century will “only intensify in the years to come”
    Money Haffi Make!

Credits
    IT has already been proven the report is wrong.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Insane View Post
    well give us a link or something...
    Money Haffi Make!

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits
    where is the link to that.....

when I read that earlier this week, I wanted to know what research and who they research cause as far as I know lucians not that poor......
    Live life in concert with your values!
    Never be paralyzed!
    Don't wait for people to change! - Dr. Robert Brooks

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by D/A Kidd View Post
    well give us a link or something...
    let me get a link.... buh even before the Govt replied..... i knew dat shit was wrong.

Before jan. the unemployment rate on the island was 13%, since hotels laying off it reach 17.5%.That is about 5ec... 5ec cah even bring you from Castries to Vieux fort. That might be the minimum wage for one hour on the island add or subtract..... so dey saying 41% of lucians doh work for an hour a day?? chupz.

Credits

Credits
    St Catherine On The Defense
    Story By
    Winston Springer
    Director of Statistics, Edwin St. Catherine in a lengthy interview with HTS news on the Washington based population reference bureau study that ranked St. Lucia as the second poorest nation in the region. The study has caused public uproar and provided much fodder for talk radio. Despite attempts to discredit the findings by the island’s statistics department which is the recognized source for information on such matters, some have instead questioned the veracity of the local authority.

Director of Statistics St Catherine who has misgivings about the credibility of the fact sheet explains the information for any study on the island is provided first and foremost by the department of statistics. Global institutions like the World Bank who fund projects here based on these types of records also rely on his Department.

St. Catherine says the socio-economic numbers and standard of living in other countries like Grenada and territories in the Leeward Islands are clearly worse than St. Lucia. He is confident St. Lucia is not the second poorest country in the region as stated by the survey. Despite evidence to the contrary, many - including the Social Transformation Minister whose Ministry oversees programs to aid the indigent - still lend credence to the Washington Based group’s report.

The contention is based on personal anecdotal accounts and not scientific research and empirical evidence. The Statistics department says it knows all too well that poverty is rife in many communities on the island but overall the island is better off than many other states in the Caribbean. St. Catherine says the facts are readily available at the statistics department and the government agencies it supplies the data on the state of the island’s affairs.

Credits
    Where are the reports that show how many people in big countries like the U.S and other places working 3 jobs to make ends meet? the minimum wage in the U.S just reached 7.25$ per hour from 6.55$ per hour, what can you do with 70 cents extra? it's a damn shame that even in places like Canada the minimum wages is much higher. U.S employers complaining about the new wage increase saying that 7.25$ will break there flow, yuh ever see ting so? LOL
    Man ah Barbeerian bound tuh be by de bar beer in meh hand beastly cold.

Credits
    let me get a link.... buh even before the Govt replied..... i knew dat shit was wrong.

Before jan. the unemployment rate on the island was 13%, since hotels laying off it reach 17.5%.That is about 5ec... 5ec cah even bring you from Castries to Vieux fort. That might be the minimum wage for one hour on the island add or subtract..... so dey saying 41% of lucians doh work for an hour a day?? chupz.
    Yea...it just seems wierd. Maybe its just another way of saying the money is in the hands of a few
    Money Haffi Make!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness4Life View Post
    where is the link to that.....

when I read that earlier this week, I wanted to know what research and who they research cause as far as I know lucians not that poor......
    Lucia no way in hell can be the 2nd poorest country in the region lol.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by D/A Kidd View Post
    Yea...it just seems wierd. Maybe its just another way of saying the money is in the hands of a few
    Nah even if yuh wanna say so.... it still not adding up any way yuh put it...... people would be eating mud if they were living on that.... dat eh buying shit for yuh.

5 ec cah buy 2 tins of carnation milk.

Credits
    LOL. Dey should knight you St. Lucia's cape Defender or something... LOL
    Money Haffi Make!

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits
    i myself was outraged and thought dem people must be mad with that research....
    Live life in concert with your values!
    Never be paralyzed!
    Don't wait for people to change! - Dr. Robert Brooks

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness4Life View Post
    i myself was outraged and thought dem people must be mad with that research....
    Gyel i was so mad...

dem people need to knock some sense into their head.

Credits
    St. Lucia GNI per capita: US $5,530 (World Bank, 2007)
    Dominica GNI per capita: US$4,250 (World Bank, 2007)
    St. Vincent GNI per capita: US $4,210 (World Bank, 2007)
    Grenada GNI per capita: US $4,670 (World Bank, 2007)
    Guyana GNI per capita: US$1,300 (World Bank, 2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast