Thread: 3 DJs fired after deadly water-drinking contest

Credits

3 DJs fired after deadly water-drinking contest

Updated: 3:58 p.m. ET Jan 17, 2007

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A radio station fired 10 employees, including its three morning disc jockeys, after a woman died following an on-air water-drinking contest last week.

The hosts of KDND-FM's "Morning Rave" were fired Tuesday, a day after the station said it was suspending the show and investigating the death of Jennifer Lea Strange.

Strange, 28, was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console by seeing how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom. The show's DJs called the contest "Hold your Wee for a Wii."

During the contest, participants were given two minutes to drink an 8-ounce bottle of water and then given another bottle to drink after a 10-minute break.

Strange may have drunk nearly two gallons, witnesses said. She appeared ill, one contestant said.

After the contest, Strange called in sick to work. She was found dead at her home about five hours later.

The Sacramento County coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicated she died of water intoxication.

Credits
    oh god u could die for holding uh pee for long
    STATUS UPDATE: (6/11/11)
    Nigerians are great people

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Deionjones2 View Post
    oh god u could die for holding uh pee for long
    drinking too much water...

I hear the DJ's on the news when people were questioning them when the contest was taking place. A nurse called in & told them it could be dangerous & they blew her off. They had every right to be fired for that crap.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
    drinking too much water...

I hear the DJ's on the news when people were questioning them when the contest was taking place. A nurse called in & told them it could be dangerous & they blew her off. They had every right to be fired for that crap.

I agree with that.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Water intoxication's a known issue, especially with runners whose instinct is to drink as much water as they can since they feel dehydrated after a big event.
    West Indian T-shirts & More: www.wiCulture.com
    Like it on Facebook: facebook.com/wiculturetees

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by n00ner View Post
    Water intoxication's a known issue, especially with runners whose instinct is to drink as much water as they can since they feel dehydrated after a big event.
    this was such a stupid and sad way for a mom to die. 28 yrs old and mother of three. i understand she was trying to win her kids a wii and all....but obviously this was not worth it. and about the nurse calling in, they told her "we had them sign releases and stuff so we not responsible for their it [their death]" or something to that effect.

i hope they never get another job in radio again.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    I agree with that.
    lets see if anyone gets sued