Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2012 Haiti among safest destinations in Americas

Credits

2012 Haiti among safest destinations in Americas

Jan 04, 2013
    PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Haiti is one of the safest destinations; not just in the Caribbean, but throughout all the Americas. This is the general finding of recent studies on crime in the region which show that Haiti has the lowest rate of violent deaths in comparison to previous years.

In 2012 according to the UNODC, Haiti's violent death rate of 6.9 out of every hundred thousand Haitians is among the lowest rates in the Americas, and the same as Long Beach, California. This is mainly attributable to a strong focus on the strengthening and modernization of its security forces.

Among other high impact measures, the government of Haiti kept its pledge to increase the size of its National Police by 50%, allowing them to fight crime more effectively. Besides increasing the size of its force, the Haitian National Police (HNP) is counting on innovative technologies to track down criminals. For example, they were able to dismantle the largest kidnapping ring in the country with the help of advanced software designed by a Haitian official trained at Westpoint --a program so effective, it has sparked the interest of the HNP's foreign advisers.

A report by Vanderbilt University's Latin American public opinion project noted the Haitian National Police's positive image compared to security institutions throughout Latin America, which are seen as weak, corrupt or inefficient. A recent poll conducted locally for an international agency notes that Haitian citizens are generally more concerned with economic issues such as the cost of living, than with crime.

And, according to the most recent report for the American Consular Services, which keeps statistics of crimes involving American citizens, in 2012 murders dropped by two thirds – from 6 to 2 - the lowest rate since 2006. The same report notes that kidnappings of U.S. citizens also dropped in 2012 from 9 to 11.

The notice issued by the U.S. State Department warning US citizens about the persistent danger of violent crime does not take into account these significant improvements in Haiti. "The kidnapping and murder of U.S. citizens is extremely rare in our country; we work diligently and closely with the United States, Canada and the international community to fight the proliferation of criminal activities," said Laurent Lamothe, the Prime Minister of Haiti.

The State Department warning comes as Haiti is experiencing a dramatic increase in the number of foreign visitors. Pointing to statistics compiled by her office, Minister of Tourism Stephanie Villedrouin notes that "in 2011, we welcomed 46% more US tourists than in 2010."

While the rest of the region experiences difficulty in containing violent crime rates, Haiti shows positive trends largely as a result of the strengthening of the Haitian National Police, the incorporation of human resources and new technologies into its anti-crime strategies, and, the establishment of a welcoming political and economic climate.

Credits
    tikreyol and SKBai1991 like this.

Credits

Thumbs up

ok

Credits
    let em know!
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    nice

Credits
    Some of you don't to hear this shit any positive about Haiti most of them Haitian haters in this website don't want to comments about it.

Credits
    i plan to go to haiti.. but seeing as i'm not familiar with it.. i am going to make sure that is indeed safe for travel.. no cholera, no nothing and then i'm in there like swimwear.. i should have gone last year but it wasnt feasible plus the person i was staying with had an overseas mission durin the time i was goin
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Glad to hear. Hope to make it there someday.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinhaiti4ever View Post
    Some of you don't to hear this shit any positive about Haiti most of them Haitian haters in this website don't want to comments about it.
    Haitian haters? I can't say that I fit into this category. I've always wanted to go there. While in Jamaica I tried to see if I could see the tip of Haiti in the distance so that I could swim there. Unfortunately this did not happen.

Credits
    Ms Rastafarian you can't even get airline ticket to Haiti right almost 80% people in them planes are whites if they can go to Haiti without worrying about security why can't we black people?

Credits
    Go Go Go people. I'd recommend you go with someone Haitian though that way they can show you around. Stay at Karibe, Ritz Kinam, or Oasis if you are in Port-au-Prince.
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    Oasis minimum $200 a night not anybody can afford it

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinhaiti4ever View Post
    Oasis minimum $200 a night not anybody can afford it
    And? Where have you vacationed? Most nice hotels are about that. It's not for the locals.
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    I'm just saying because people who never been in Haiti they think everything cheap Them hotels are expansive just let this little $200 check won't buy too in Haiti

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Teatre View Post
    Haitian haters? I can't say that I fit into this category. I've always wanted to go there. While in Jamaica I tried to see if I could see the tip of Haiti in the distance so that I could swim there. Unfortunately this did not happen.
    u mightna come back, dey mighta work voodoo on yuh and bury u alive.

Thank god u didnt go
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast