Thread: 2006 School Supplies campaign for Haitian schools

Credits

2006 School Supplies campaign for Haitian schools

Some of you helped me collect school supplies for Haiti in 2006.

I was finally able to get the boxes to someone there for distribution. It took some doing and expense and almost a year to get it done! Getting things into Haiti is like pulling teeth. But we did it!

Got an email from Reverend Miradeu Estinvil recently to say he finally got it and will be sending me photos and updates. He said the children were so tickled. Some of you even sent me stickers and gold stars in your donation. I remember in my childhood how that gold star used to be a big thing.

Anywho, thank you SO much! I've sent out cards to those who gave me return addresses. To the anonymous folks, please accept my thanks on behalf of those children. You made a positive difference.

Walk Good
    QM

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Macoomeh View Post
    Some of you helped me collect school supplies for Haiti in 2006.

I was finally able to get the boxes to someone there for distribution. It took some doing and expense and almost a year to get it done! Getting things into Haiti is like pulling teeth. But we did it!

Got an email from Reverend Miradeu Estinvil recently to say he finally got it and will be sending me photos and updates. He said the children were so tickled. Some of you even sent me stickers and gold stars in your donation. I remember in my childhood how that gold star used to be a big thing.

Anywho, thank you SO much! I've sent out cards to those who gave me return addresses. To the anonymous folks, please accept my thanks on behalf of those children. You made a positive difference.

Walk Good
    QM
    how did you go about doing that? The haitian organization at my school is trying to do something similar to that.

Credits
    I put out a webpage and a call for donations. I called in a few favours with some media folks I know to get the word out.

I can't say donations poured it, they trickled in but the stuff I got was wonderful for children. Lots of blank note books, pencils, erasers and so on. I boxed them up and had a gruelling time finding a person to collect them in Haiti.

An acquaintance of mine who has written extensively on Haiti was able to help me find Reverend Estinvil who travels from Haiti to Florida periodically. It was tough getting the items to him at the depot there. And he had a tough time collecting them. But we got through.

If you have people in Haiti or people who can ferry the items into the country then that's great. It was frustrating. So when I got the Reverend's email acknowledging receipt I was happy. Hopefully he will send me photos soon and I can post them.