Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

Credits

12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

By NBC News staff

Updated at 8:15 a.m. ET: Twelve people were killed and at least 50 others wounded early Friday when a gunman opened fire at a midnight screening of the summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight Rises" near Denver, authorities and witnesses said.

Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters that 10 people died at the scene and four others died after being taken to local hospitals. However, a police officer later told MSNBC TV that the death toll had been revised to 12. A three-month-old and a six-year-old girl were among those treated, according to reports.

Police said the gunman had appeared at the front of the theater during the movie and released a canister which let out a hissing sound, which is believed to be tear gas. Witnesses told reporters that gunfire erupted during a shootout scene in the film.

Jennifer Seeger, who was inside the Aurora, Colo., movie theater where a gunman opened fire early Friday, describes the scene of the shooting as "mass chaos."

"It was mass chaos," witness Jennifer Seeger told TODAY. "He was five feet away from me."

The gunman shot the ceiling and then "he threw in the gas can, and then I knew it was real," Seeger added.

"Everyone's going for the door and then everyone starts saying, 'no, he's going to shoot people going for the door, and he did," she recalled. "They're trying to escape, and he shot those people as well."

A suspect was apprehended in the shopping center's parking lot, Oates said. He was named as 24-year-old James Holmes, two federal officials from different agencies told NBC News.

The incident occurred in the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center, police told NBC News. Aurora is a suburb less than 10 miles east of downtown Denver.

NBC station KUSA-Denver cited a witness as seeing a black-clad 6-foot-tall man wearing a riot helmet, goggles and bullet-proof vest.

However, many people attended the film dressed in Batman-related costumes.

12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado - U.S. News

Credits
    Oh so they released his name now...lemme go look to see this person.

Credits
    Sadness!!
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    that is wild... people go to enjoy a movie and get cut down..

Mental illness is a serious thing
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    The young man who is in custody after allegedly gunning down 12 people in a mass shooting spree overnight in Aurora, Colorado has been identified as local resident James Holmes, according to federal authorities.

Law enforcement officials and witnesses told ABC News Holmes, 24, wore what appeared to be a bullet-proof vest and riot-type mask as he opened fire in a movie theater with three weapons at a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises." In addition to the 12 deaths, at least 50 people were injured, according to police.

A San Diego woman who identified herself as James Holmes' mother told ABC News she had awoken unaware of the shooting and had not yet been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

"You have the right person," she said, apparently speaking on gut instinct. "I need to call the police... I need to fly out to Colorado."

Local news reports showed aerial video of police cautiously searching Holmes' apartment, some five miles from the Century Aurora 16 theater, as the suspect reportedly told police he had explosives inside.

Witnesses said that the man appeared at the front of the theater about 20 minutes into the movie with a rifle, handgun and gas mask. He then threw a canister that released some kind of gas, after which a hissing sound ensued, and he then opened fire on the crowd packed into the early-morning screening of the film.

"We were maybe 20 or 30 minutes into the movie and all you hear, first you smell smoke, everybody thought it was fireworks or something like that, and then you just see people dropping and the gunshots are constant," witness Christ Jones told ABC's Denver affiliate KMGH. "I heard at least 20 to 30 rounds within that minute or two."

A man who talked to a couple who was inside the theater told ABC News, "They got up and they started to run through the emergency exit, and that when she turned around, she said all she saw was the guy slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing at people, just picking random people."

"The gunshot continued to go on and on and then after we didn't hear anything," the couple told the man. "We finally got up and there was people bleeding, there was people obviously may have been actually dead or anything, and we just ran up out of there, there was chaos everywhere."

The FBI said approximately 100 of its agents are on the scene assisting with the ongoing investigation.

Aurora 'Dark Knight' Shooting Suspect Identified: James Holmes - ABC News

Credits
    This is nuts! in a movie theater??? jeez
    ~~When your character is built on spiritual and moral foundations, your contagious way of life will influence millions.~~

Real Eyes
    Realize
    Real Lies

Credits
    My questions is, where is the safest place to sit in the cinema?

I think it is near the exit, probably secound row closest to the wall.
    Toppa_Toppa likes this.

Credits
    Wow I was at the premiere last night. This could have easily been anybody anywhere. Scary stuff. Pray for the families that have to go through this. All from going to see a movie. Sad thing
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

LB
    Credits
    this movie seems to have some "dark energy" with it.

Last night on the news they were saying certain movie critics received death threats for the bad reviews they gave the movie. One is under police guard right now cause the threats were no joke from fans. So when I saw this headline, I thought for a moment, the two things were tied together.

you think you are doing something safe and then a mad man comes and does this.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

T-MAKAA
    Was the movie good??

Credits
    'BATMAN' MASSACRE
    1st Photo of Shooter
    James Holmes

Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Can't get a hold of my ex-husband...he is in Colorado...hope he didn't take my son to this movie theatre last night. smh. I think my heart stopped beating for 2 seconds when I read this.
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Toppa_Toppa

Yuh talk bout bad-lucky!!

Aspiring sportscaster Jessica Ghawi, killed in Colorado shooting, narrowly missed Toronto Eaton Centre gunfire

One of the victims of a mass shooting inside a movie theatre near Denver, Colorado, was an aspiring sportscaster who last month narrowly missed a shooting at Toronto’s Eaton Centre shopping mall.

Jessica Ghawi, 25, is among at least 12 people who died when a gunman wearing a gas mark released an unknown gas and fired into a crowded movie theatre during the midnight showing of the new Batman movie.

Ghawi, described by friends as a bubbly and ambitious redhead, recently moved to Denver from Texas, according to TV station Kens5.

The young woman wrote about her experience missing the shooting in Toronto by only a few minutes. A man sprayed bullets in a crowded food court, killing one man instantly and injuring another who would later die in hospital.

In a blog post, Ghawi explains how she “felt funny” while sitting in the food court at Eaton Centre and decided to step outside to get some fresh air. Minutes later, shots rang out and shoppers started “funneling out of every exit,” she wrote.

“I’m not an EMT or a police officer. I’m not trained to handle crime and murder,” Ghawi wrote in a blog post on June 5.

“Gun crimes are fairly common where I grew up in Texas, but I never imagined I’d experience a violent crime first hand. I’m on vacation and wanted to eat and go shopping. Everyone else at the mall probably wanted the same thing. I doubt anyone left for the mall imagined they witness [sic] a shooting.”

Reached in Helotes, Texas, on Friday morning, Ghawi’s father Nick said his son flew out to Denver as soon as the family heard about the shooting.

Initially, authorities had not confirmed his daughter had died, he said.

“That’s why our son flew right away, he’s an EMT and a firefighter and he should be able to get through and confirm,” Nick said.

Tributes to the young woman began pouring out online and on Twitter. Condolences came from the You Can Play Project, an organization founded by the son of Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke.

Patrick Burke started to the organization to provide support for LGBT athletes. Ghawi, who also used the last name Redfield, was working for the Denver-based organization as an intern.

“Our staff is despondent today over the loss of our intern Jessica Redfield,” the organization tweeted. “We will miss her intelligence, kindness, and work ethic greatly.”

Denver Post columnist Adrian Dater said he exchanged a few messages with Ghawi on Twitter yesterday. The two also chatted a few weeks ago about internship programs and the journalism business.

“I’m in total disbelief,” he said.

“She was just moving into a new apartment and excited about that. She had a boyfriend, and was excited about that. We also talked about her being right there in the food court at the Eaton Centre when that random shooting happened, and how much it was still affecting her. Now this. She was a very smart, funny and ambitious person who wanted to make a go of it in the sports journalism business. It’s a tragedy.”

Ghawi’s boyfriend is Jay Meloff, a hockey player from Markham, Ont., who is training to attend the Denver Cutthroats’ free agent camp in a few weeks, said Denver sports writer Cheryl Bradley.

Ghawi was in Toronto last month to visit Meloff.

“I just got off the phone with him. As you can imagine, he’s not doing to well,” Bradley said in an interview. “He’s supposed to come out for training camp. At this point, not sure what’s going to happen… I really hope he continues to play.”

A career in journalism is an uphill and often disheartening pursuit but Ghawi had the spark and wit to do it, Bradley said.

“She had her whole life ahead of her.”

Jessica Ghawi, Aurora Colorado shooting victim, narrowly missed Toronto Eaton Centre gunfire | News | National Post

Credits
    that is truly sad.. smh
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    very sad indeed...RIP to all those that died and speedy recovery to those that were injured!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast