Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went to my first support group last night

CocoErotika

I went to my first support group last night

The tears, the victories. the "little" things that means so much. I learned so much about what to expect.

What people appreciated most is the improvement in the quality of life. I mean there was people who for the first could get shoes with laces. a 60 yr old man in tears crying he not read to die yet and he wants to save his life. he wants more time.... heartbreaking... just heart breaking

there was girls smaller than me there too.

they had a clothing trade. people bring in their own old clothes so everybody can purchase for their different stages of weight loss at $1 an item.

the tremendous support. members visiting each other in the hospital. I exchanged info with a few people (well just the black people...lol) there was 5 of us only.

Lots of complaints about the Lap Band. and 2 of the girls had them removed and just had the sleeve gastrectomy done.

I got so much info...I am grateful.

mostly everyone was family people who wanted to be able to keep up with kids. there was some couples that did the surgery too for each other.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoErotika View Post
    The tears, the victories. the "little" things that means so much. I learned so much about what to expect.

What people appreciated most is the improvement in the quality of life. I mean there was people who for the first could get shoes with laces. a 60 yr old man in tears crying he not read to die yet and he wants to save his life. he wants more time.... heartbreaking... just heart breaking

there was girls smaller than me there too.

they had a clothing trade. people bring in their own old clothes so everybody can purchase for their different stages of weight loss at $1 an item.

the tremendous support. members visiting each other in the hospital. I exchanged info with a few people (well just the black people...lol) there was 5 of us only.

Lots of complaints about the Lap Band. and 2 of the girls had them removed and just had the sleeve gastrectomy done.

I got so much info...I am grateful.

mostly everyone was family people who wanted to be able to keep up with kids. there was some couples that did the surgery too for each other.
    Is this a weight loss support group?

Credits
    Sounds intense and possibly a bit emotionally draining. Things for ppl to keep in mind when they're moaning about not losing that last 3 lbs in time for carnival lol. So you're already post surgery? Wow, I thought you were still in the contemplating it stage.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

CocoErotika
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    Is this a weight loss support group?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Sounds intense and possibly a bit emotionally draining. Things for ppl to keep in mind when they're moaning about not losing that last 3 lbs in time for carnival lol. So you're already post surgery? Wow, I thought you were still in the contemplating it stage.
    long past contemplating it. already started the process. it's a long process ranging from 2-6 months. I am about 2 months in

Credits
    yes

long past contemplating it. already started the process. it's a long process ranging from 2-6 months. I am about 2 months in
    what are you trying to have done?

Credits
    this is the most interesting thread i've read in a while.........

good luck coco....you seem to be taking all the right steps....big decision....equally big commitment

CocoErotika
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    what are you trying to have done?
    sleeve gastrectomy. I already went over this

Credits
    yes

Oh wow, CONGRATS! Feel free to bombard us w/ ten million sexy before/after pics in a couple months..everybody else does why can't you

Question, are the majority of the ppl significantly obese..like unhealthy or are there a lot of vanity types?
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

CocoErotika
    Oh wow, CONGRATS! Feel free to bombard us w/ ten million sexy before/after pics in a couple months..everybody else does why can't you

Question, are the majority of the ppl significantly obese..like unhealthy or are there a lot of vanity types?
    I am glad you asked me that. Unhealthy obese people. these are people who were hooked up to CPAP machines for sleep apnea (I have to do a sleep study too). a guy had to use a cane and was happy to announce he "retired" his cane

people who have all kinds of health issue and on medications. one woman had to take 20 pills a day and now she is off ALL of her meds.

the 2 girls that was smaller than me. I dont know if it is vanity. they will be having theirs in the next couple of weeks. they didnt give their stories, they just listened. I exchanged FB and contact info with them though so we can support each other.

I think you can contemplate it for vanity reasons, but those people wouldnt go through with it once they see what it entails. it is a life altering surgery that affects everything. If it's just vanity you would be better off getting plastic surgery where it's all cosmetic. and you have to have a BMI of 40 or more and be at least 100lbs overweight. you cant just be looking to get rid of 50lbs to wear a bikini and do this.

you have to be on liquids for a month.. then pureed foods for at least a month after. you can no longer eat what you want, etc, et and you have to be committed to exercise and the new lifestyle. this is not a quick fix because you can gain the weight back.

you should come to the support groups to help maintain. there were people there that did the surgery 5 yrs ago that never miss a meeting (once a month) It's like weight watchers. going to the meetings helps make it successful.

these are people whose weight got in the way of their lives. extra weigh is very uncomfortable and affects many things. many people are in denial about how weight affects the quality of their lives.

people found convincing ways to "trick" themselves. like the guy with the shoes who had to wear slip ons and was proud to finally be able to buy shoes with laces.

one woman who worked with cancer patients for over 20yrs was finally able to do the cancer walk this year. a man for the first time could get on the rides with his son at Universal Studios and had his son say "dad, this is the most fun I have had" he was so happy. fitting into airplane seats comfortably and other seats without having to ask for an extender belt. this is all what people were talking about. not one thing about looks.

except when one female was speaking and she passed around her before pic. a guy said "you look good....you look really good"

it's the quality of life people want. these people are dedicated. they are collecting recipes for a book. they had a rep from Trader joes to teach you how to shop for food.

it was phenomenal.

CocoErotika
    oh and regarding vanity. there is temporary hair loss that everyone suffers because of the lack of protein. this lasts several months. so if a person is vain, they may not want to deal with that.

Credits
    yeah. i had a girlfreind that went thu the surgury..she did lose her hair...it was awful!

She really like to eat her food and all..so she wasnt really committed. I would catch her eating things she had no business eating and she would defend it saying "every once ina while she can do this and that"...

to make a long story short, she gained her weight back..not all of it but about 100 lbs of it. She never spoke of a support group.

seems like u r on the right path. good luck
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

CocoErotika
    Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    yeah. i had a girlfreind that went thu the surgury..she did lose her hair...it was awful!

She really like to eat her food and all..so she wasnt really committed. I would catch her eating things she had no business eating and she would defend it saying "every once ina while she can do this and that"...

to make a long story short, she gained her weight back..not all of it but about 100 lbs of it. She never spoke of a support group.

seems like u r on the right path. good luck
    thanks

what did she have done? was it a lap band? lot of people there complained about that and the success rate was not that good. so they had to have it removed and opt for the sleeve gastrectomy afterwards.

the lap does give you a more leeway but you have that foreign matter in your body and you hve to keep going to the doctor for band adjustments, people will just have it adjusted to suit their bad habits.

Credits
    While no surgery is really "minor" I never knew it was all that to go through. Is this the same procedure that Star Jones, Al Roker et all had?

Its obvious you made up your mind to go 100% before even bothering to start on this path so I'm sure you'll do fine.

You know, I know a lot of very obese ppl, more than 1/2 of them have the typical health problems associated w/ obesity yet almost all of them seem comfortable and happy with their weight. They're all friendly, happy, extroverted types too. Your post makes me wonder if that's all an act.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

CocoErotika
    While no surgery is really "minor" I never knew it was all that to go through. Is this the same procedure that Star Jones, Al Roker et all had?

Its obvious you made up your mind to go 100% before even bothering to start on this path so I'm sure you'll do fine.

You know, I know a lot of very obese ppl, more than 1/2 of them have the typical health problems associated w/ obesity yet almost all of them seem comfortable and happy with their weight. They're all friendly, happy, extroverted types too. Your post makes me wonder if that's all an act.
    they had the bypass (which includes rerouting of the intestines) I am not saying a persona cant be extroverted. there is a stereotype of the "fat jolly" person.

but it does affect the quality of life and anybody who says otherwise is in denial.

of course there is ways around it and most big people are savvy in finding ways around things.

and that is what we do. find coping techniques and ways around it.

Credits
    thanks

what did she have done? was it a lap band? lot of people there complained about that and the success rate was not that good. so they had to have it removed and opt for the sleeve gastrectomy afterwards.

the lap does give you a more leeway but you have that foreign matter in your body and you hve to keep going to the doctor for band adjustments, people will just have it adjusted to suit their bad habits.
    that is exactly what happened..she had the lap band. she was on target with her weight loss at first and was evenin the talking stages of having hte excess skin removed..I thought she was losing at a much slower rate than another of our aquantences who had gastro, but i chalked that up to her cheating and eating stuff she had no biz...
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast