Quinoa salad

3-4 leaves chopped kale,
    1/3-1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    1/3-1/2 yellow pepper, finely chopped
    1 medium/large carrot, grated
    1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    Somewhere around a tsp of finely chopped ginger
    1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic

Sometimes, I throw in a few tiny florets of broccoli (torn down to only 2-3 buds each), or a little bit of chopped celery

I dress it with 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil, blended with 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice, with a pinch each of ground coriander and curry powder

Quesadilla: Saute together lots of onion, some garlic, bell peppers, other veggies (I often add mushrooms because they have a meaty texture and I'll sneak in other things I need to use up before they go bad, such as zucchini). Once the veggies start to get soft, dump in some salsa. Then add in some cut up chicken (could also use left over beef or sub in black beans and not use meat at all). When the chicken and salsa are heated through, spread some of the mixture on a flour tortilla. Top with grated chedder cheese, and then another tortilla. Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven until the cheese is melted and the tortillas crisp up. Cut into pieces and serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole. Serve with a green salad.

Fried Rice: Saute together your choice of veggies (cabbage, bell pepers, blanched brocolli, snow peas, carrots, etc.). Add home made or store bought stirfry sauce and fish sauce, some soy sauce. Cut up pieces of left over meat into small bits, Cook your choice of rice (brown, black, regular). Fry the rice in with the veggies and meat. A few mins before it is all done, crack in an egg or two and mix it into the rice/veggie/meat mixture.

Thai Rice Bowls: Super easy to make-ahead by cutting up your veggies the night before. Thinly slice up veggies of your choice (red onion, green onion, bell peppers, carrot, cabbage, etc.). Cook your choice of rice. Prepare thai curry sauce by taking approx 1 - 2 tbsp of curry paste (red or green, your choice) and "blooming" it in a heated pan. Add some stock (chix or veg) if you have it (I make stock with chicken carcasses after I've used up the meat, then freeze some of it in ice cube trays so I have "cubes" of stock to use) and stir in with the paste. Once incorporated, stir in a can of coconut milk. Simmer for a few mins to thicken. Then, spoon rice into bowls, allow everyone to choose their own veggies, and spoon sauce over top. Optional: top with chopped up peanuts or cashews. Optional: Saute veggies instead of serving raw. Optional: Serve with meat such as prawns or chicken.

Other cheap, healthy favorites:

Borcht - Borscht Recipe : Food Network Kitchens : Recipes : Food Network
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

LB
    Credits
    Oh gosh man!!1 I bought some lump crabmeat on Sunday and was wondering what to do with it! Question answered
    just need to pick up some mangoes this evening!

the rainbow link was clever! lol Gives u a good visual to remember to eat "your colours"

@BD - You gonna make JazE cuss u for posting yet another quinoa recipe

Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post

can substitute the mayonnaise with w/e you want (sour cream, greek yogurt, etc). I usually buy my crab meat already picked from a local store, and I wouldn't get the canned/jarred variety unless that's only available.
    Ingredients
    1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat
    2 tablespoons lemon zest
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
    1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
    1/4 cup finely diced celery
    2 green onions, finely chopped
    Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
    5 to 6 medium peaches (about 1 3/4 lb.), unpeeled and coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon honey
    3 medium avocados, diced
    Arugula

Preparation
    1. Pick crabmeat, removing any bits of shell. Whisk together lemon zest, next 2 ingredients, and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Fold in jalapeño pepper, next 2 ingredients, and crabmeat, using a rubber spatula. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste.

2. Stir together peaches and remaining 4 Tbsp. lemon juice. Reserve 3 cups peach mixture. Pulse honey and remaining peach mixture in a food processor 8 to 10 times or until smooth. Season pureed peach mixture with kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste.

3. Spoon 1/4 cup pureed peach mixture onto a chilled plate. Place a 3 1/2-inch round cutter in center of peach mixture on plate. (A clean, empty tuna can with both ends removed may be used instead.) Spoon one-sixth of diced avocados and 1/2 cup reserved chopped peach mixture into cutter, packing each layer firmly and sprinkling with kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste. Top with about 1/2 cup crab mixture. Carefully remove cutter from plate. Repeat procedure with remaining pureed peach mixture, avocado, chopped peach mixture, and crab mixture. Arrange desired amount of arugula around each layered salad; serve immediately.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Healthy, quick, easy to make and easy on the food budget

Quinoa salad

3-4 leaves chopped kale,
    1/3-1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    1/3-1/2 yellow pepper, finely chopped
    1 medium/large carrot, grated
    1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    Somewhere around a tsp of finely chopped ginger
    1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic

Sometimes, I throw in a few tiny florets of broccoli (torn down to only 2-3 buds each), or a little bit of chopped celery

I dress it with 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil, blended with 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice, with a pinch each of ground coriander and curry powder

Quesadilla: Saute together lots of onion, some garlic, bell peppers, other veggies (I often add mushrooms because they have a meaty texture and I'll sneak in other things I need to use up before they go bad, such as zucchini). Once the veggies start to get soft, dump in some salsa. Then add in some cut up chicken (could also use left over beef or sub in black beans and not use meat at all). When the chicken and salsa are heated through, spread some of the mixture on a flour tortilla. Top with grated chedder cheese, and then another tortilla. Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven until the cheese is melted and the tortillas crisp up. Cut into pieces and serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole. Serve with a green salad.

Fried Rice: Saute together your choice of veggies (cabbage, bell pepers, blanched brocolli, snow peas, carrots, etc.). Add home made or store bought stirfry sauce and fish sauce, some soy sauce. Cut up pieces of left over meat into small bits, Cook your choice of rice (brown, black, regular). Fry the rice in with the veggies and meat. A few mins before it is all done, crack in an egg or two and mix it into the rice/veggie/meat mixture.

Thai Rice Bowls: Super easy to make-ahead by cutting up your veggies the night before. Thinly slice up veggies of your choice (red onion, green onion, bell peppers, carrot, cabbage, etc.). Cook your choice of rice. Prepare thai curry sauce by taking approx 1 - 2 tbsp of curry paste (red or green, your choice) and "blooming" it in a heated pan. Add some stock (chix or veg) if you have it (I make stock with chicken carcasses after I've used up the meat, then freeze some of it in ice cube trays so I have "cubes" of stock to use) and stir in with the paste. Once incorporated, stir in a can of coconut milk. Simmer for a few mins to thicken. Then, spoon rice into bowls, allow everyone to choose their own veggies, and spoon sauce over top. Optional: top with chopped up peanuts or cashews. Optional: Saute veggies instead of serving raw. Optional: Serve with meat such as prawns or chicken.

Other cheap, healthy favorites:

Borcht - Borscht Recipe : Food Network Kitchens : Recipes : Food Network
    Grrrr @ quinoa

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    Oh gosh man!!1 I bought some lump crabmeat on Sunday and was wondering what to do with it! Question answered
    just need to pick up some mangoes this evening!

the rainbow link was clever! lol Gives u a good visual to remember to eat "your colours"

@BD - You gonna make JazE cuss u for posting yet another quinoa recipe
    I didn't even see this fiyah bun quinoa

LB
    Credits
    I made fruit popsicles over the weekend which turned out great!

I just winged the recipe:

blended up kiwis and mangos with a:

simple syrup: 1 cup boiling water, 1/4 cup Xyla (sugar substitute)
    -mix and let sit for a bit and then stir again
    -fling in mint leaves as it steeps if u like
    -juice of 1/2 a lemon

whirl it all up together in a blender and pour into molds.

Freeze
    And La Voila! Lovely low cal snack on hot days

I did make a "grown up" batch with strawberries/mangos and dark rum. Gonna try this with Southern Comfort this weekend.

Credits
    Mango Noodles

What you need:

1 package whole wheat spaghetti

2 mangoes, sliced

2 green onions, chopped

2 carrots, grated (no need to peel – keep those nutrients!)

2 generous handfuls of kale or chard, finely chopped (about 2 leaves)

1 package extra firm tofu, cubed

1 generous drizzle canola or vegetable oil, for cooking

a handful of sesame seeds and peanuts, to garnish

For the sauce:

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 rice vinegar

2 tsp Dijon mustard

2 tbsp sesame oil

1 big, dripping tbsp of honey

2 tbsp peanut butter

What you do:

Cover cubed tofu with a few splashes of soy sauce and set aside to marinate (preferably for 30 minutes or more, but if you don’t have the time no worries). Cook noodles. In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients (soy sauce, rice vinegar, dijon mustard, sesame oil, honey and peanut butter). Drain tofu and fry in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. Drain cooked noodles, add sauce, green onions, mangoes, fried tofu, kale and carrot and toss to coat. Garnish with sesame seeds and peanuts, if desired. May the noodles be so good you receive copious offers from thankful children to help clean up after dinner!

Stay tuned for more yummy recipes from the $100/week menu.

Mango Noodles: from the $100/week Menu « All Things Mothering
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Mango Noodles

What you need:

1 package whole wheat spaghetti

2 mangoes, sliced

2 green onions, chopped

2 carrots, grated (no need to peel – keep those nutrients!)

2 generous handfuls of kale or chard, finely chopped (about 2 leaves)

1 package extra firm tofu, cubed

1 generous drizzle canola or vegetable oil, for cooking

a handful of sesame seeds and peanuts, to garnish

For the sauce:

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 rice vinegar

2 tsp Dijon mustard

2 tbsp sesame oil

1 big, dripping tbsp of honey

2 tbsp peanut butter

What you do:

Cover cubed tofu with a few splashes of soy sauce and set aside to marinate (preferably for 30 minutes or more, but if you don’t have the time no worries). Cook noodles. In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients (soy sauce, rice vinegar, dijon mustard, sesame oil, honey and peanut butter). Drain tofu and fry in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. Drain cooked noodles, add sauce, green onions, mangoes, fried tofu, kale and carrot and toss to coat. Garnish with sesame seeds and peanuts, if desired. May the noodles be so good you receive copious offers from thankful children to help clean up after dinner!

Stay tuned for more yummy recipes from the $100/week menu.

Mango Noodles: from the $100/week Menu « All Things Mothering
    sounds good, might have to replace that tofu with actual chicken since I don't like tofu fried (in a soup yes, fried nope). I would do chik'n, but he seems to notice the difference.

Credits
    I made fruit popsicles over the weekend which turned out great!

I just winged the recipe:

blended up kiwis and mangos with a:

simple syrup: 1 cup boiling water, 1/4 cup Xyla (sugar substitute)
    -mix and let sit for a bit and then stir again
    -fling in mint leaves as it steeps if u like
    -juice of 1/2 a lemon

whirl it all up together in a blender and pour into molds.

Freeze
    And La Voila! Lovely low cal snack on hot days

I did make a "grown up" batch with strawberries/mangos and dark rum. Gonna try this with Southern Comfort this weekend.

LB
    Credits
    whappen? you looking to teef one from me? lol

just make ur way up here and u can chill on my deck with me and we'll nyam alla dem off!

Credits
    whappen? you looking to teef one from me? lol

just make ur way up here and u can chill on my deck with me and we'll nyam alla dem off!
    girl if you weren't so far away, I would sure enough come up there.

LB
    Credits
    girl if you weren't so far away, I would sure enough come up there.
    cha, I aint that far

Having a bit of a sweet tooth week, so I've been looking for "safe" alternatives. lol Gonna give this cookie recipe a go over the weekend except I will have to find an alternative to the soy flour cause I dont believe in eating soy.

Crunchy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup organic virgin unrefined coconut oil, very soft and slightly melted
    1/3 cup organic dark brown sugar, firmly packed
    3 Tbsp plain, unsweetened soy milk or milk substitute
    2 Tbsp whole-grain soy flour
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1 tsp whole wheat pastry flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    Pinch sea salt
    2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    3/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C)

Directions:
    In a mixer with paddle attachment or in a large bowl using an electric handheld mixer, mix together coconut oil and brown sugar on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add soy milk, soy flour and vanilla, and mix together on low speed.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, and add to mixer bowl. Mix ingredients together on low speed until well combined. Mix in oats and raisins.

Scoop rounded tablespoons into the palm of your hand and press dough together. Place on baking sheets and press top down to partially flatten cookies. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 1 minute on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will get crunchy as they cool. Store in an airtight container up to two weeks.

Crunchy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies | Fat Fighter TV
    Last edited by LB; 06-21-2012 at 08:52 PM.

LB
    Credits
    Super simple fruit salad. Pretty much a standard for me.

Watermelon Feta Salad

Yield: Serves 6-8
    ingredients:
    6 cups cubed watermelon
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1/2 cup feta cheese
    1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
    Balsamic vinegar-optional

directions:
    1. In a large bowl combine watermelon, red onion, feta, and mint. Stir until ingredients are well combined.

2. Serve chilled.

Inspired by Real Simple

LB
    Credits
    My kale plants are growing like wild now so I'm going to make some Kale Chips tomorrow:

Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips

From The Cleaner Plate Club by Beth Bader & Ali Benjamin
    1 bunch kale, 6 to 8 stems or 12 ounces
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp balsamic vinegar (*I used regular white vinegar because I was going for a salt & vinegar chips flavour from my childhood thing – it was subtle, but nice!)
    kosher salt
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Wash the kale, dry thoroughly in a salad spinner, and tear into bite-size pieces. Toss in a large bowl with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, if desired. Rub the leaves to make sure each gets a coating of oil so they crisp up well. Oil a baking sheet. (*I forgot this step, and there was plenty of oil to prevent sticking without it).
    3. Place the kale in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt to taste. Bake for 6 minutes, then stir and turn kale, and bake for 6-9 minutes longer. Remove crisp pieces as they are done to prevent burning and allow remaining kale chips to get even heat. (*in order to do a single layer, I needed two baking sheets. A single layer is important for crispy results, rather than steaming them. By using 2 sheets I avoided the need to remove crisp pieces as they were done, and the kale was crisp after about 9 minutes total).

mz_JazE likes this.

LB
    Credits
    This is breakfast tomorrow. Chia seeds are so helpful at umm...keeping your insides moving plus they have a lot of Omega 3 and 6s

Raspberry Yogurt Parfait!

Reposting this recipe because I think it looks a lot better this
    Ingredients:

All the amounts in this recipe really vary depending on the container you’re putting it in but all you really need is:

- a few cups of raspberries

- some greek or regular yogurt

- honey

- chia seeds (optional)

I actually subbed out greek yogurt for regular yogurt about halfway through this recipe because I thought it would make it way too rich if I used greek yogurt for the whole thing so yeah. Not pictured here though!

Directions:

First of all, toss your raspberries into a blender or processor and if they’re as tart as mine were, they needed a bit of honey (and because the greek yogurt/yogurt is unsweetened, you need this!) and process until you’ve got raspberry “crumble” that will thaw out nicely later!

Then you just keep layering!! Raspberry -> Yogurt -> Chia and repeat! I garnished with a few mint leaves just because I’m that picky about presentation :) and there you go!

LB
    Credits
    I dont as a rule, eat dairy but I will have greek yogurt and cheese on ocassion and I was craving some bad this week. I figured this a a good alternative and a bit of a "treat"

simple and really nice to eat sitting outside on the deck this morning :bigup:

I mashed the raspberries with a bit of coconut milk and honey and added just 2 tablespoons of granola along with the chia seeds for crunch.

This is breakfast tomorrow. Chia seeds are so helpful at umm...keeping your insides moving plus they have a lot of Omega 3 and 6s

Raspberry Yogurt Parfait!

Reposting this recipe because I think it looks a lot better this
    Ingredients:

All the amounts in this recipe really vary depending on the container you’re putting it in but all you really need is:

- a few cups of raspberries

- some greek or regular yogurt

- honey

- chia seeds (optional)

I actually subbed out greek yogurt for regular yogurt about halfway through this recipe because I thought it would make it way too rich if I used greek yogurt for the whole thing so yeah. Not pictured here though!

Directions:

First of all, toss your raspberries into a blender or processor and if they’re as tart as mine were, they needed a bit of honey (and because the greek yogurt/yogurt is unsweetened, you need this!) and process until you’ve got raspberry “crumble” that will thaw out nicely later!

Then you just keep layering!! Raspberry -> Yogurt -> Chia and repeat! I garnished with a few mint leaves just because I’m that picky about presentation :) and there you go!

triniameri likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast