Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LB

Thread: April: Beat your stress month

LB
    Credits

April: Beat your stress month

*kinda doubt anyone here may be interested but just in case, I will post this. I'm gonna try my best to follow along and keep my stress levels in check. I dont follow the Paelo Diet business which the site is originally about it has some good info here and there*

In my 9 Steps to Perfect Health series, I argued that stress management may be the most important of all of the steps.

Why? Because no matter what diet you follow, how much you exercise and what supplements you take, if you’re not managing your stress you will still be at risk for modern degenerative conditions like heart disease, diabetes, hypothyroidism and autoimmunity.

Many of you may feel defeated or overwhelmed by stress. I understand this. Stress management is hard. It asks a lot of us. It forces us to slow down, to step back, to disengage (if only for a brief time) from the electric current of modern life. It asks us to prioritize self-care in a culture that does not value it.

While I feel your pain, and still struggle with stress management myself, I’ve got to lay down some tough love here. If you’re not doing some form of regular stress management, you will sabotage all of your best efforts with diet, exercise and supplements. Stress management is absolutely crucial to optimal health and longevity. If most health conscious people spent even half the amount of time they spend focusing on nutrition and exercise on managing their stress, they’d be a lot better off.

Many of you have done a 30-day Paleo diet challenge, whether the Personal Paleo Code, Whole30 or maybe a program through your local gym. You’ve probably done something similar with exercise and fitness. But what about stress reduction? Why doesn’t it get the attention it deserves?

We’re going to change that. This month, let’s dedicate some of our time to taking it easy. April is Best Your Stress Month!

Here’s how it works:

From April 1 to April 30, pick one way you’ll plan on de-stressing your life. This could be something like meditation, yoga, deep breathing, or spending more time in nature. There are many possibilities here. What relaxes and calms you? (If you need some ideas, check out my article on stress management.)

Now make a specific goal.

Goals can be something like “I will start each day with 5 minutes of deep breathing exercises” or “I will turn my phone/computer off for 30 minutes after work.” Make them as specific as possible – you’ll be less likely to back out on your promise later. Write your goal somewhere you’ll see it often – perhaps your fridge, your desk, your car, (your forehead?) – and then leave a comment on this post with your goal so we can share ideas and support each other. Please also post your goal on Facebook and Twitter if you use social media so others can see what you’re up to.

Use your community as a resource:

Having trouble sticking to your goal? Need some other ideas for decreasing your stress? Tackle your issue in the comments section of this post. Ask your peers for advice. What are they doing to de-stress? It’s time to make some friends! A strong community of peers is also very important in maintaining a healthy life.

I truly hope this challenge allows you to let go of some of the stress you may have been hanging on to lately and that you make lots of new friends in the comments!

Link to the site

Best Your Stress Month
    T-MAKAA likes this.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Gladiator
    I read somewhere that people who live very long lives have been good with stress management most of their lives (don't know if its fact)
    Personally I have just accept the embracement of stress as part of life and feel like their is no final solution to remove stress. If you are someone with a career that demands a lot then you can't dodge stress.

LB
    Credits
    Stress is what motivates you out of the bed in the morning to get things done and there is nothing wrong with that. It is how our bodies are made to function with Cortisol , DHEA, etc.

Its when our stress levels cross over into the unhealthy category because we dont find ways to gear down and let our systems re-balance is when too much of it starts to effect your health, including your blood pressure, digestion, hormonal function, etc.

Even with high pressured jobs, finding ways to let the pressures go and balancing yourself is paramount otherwise you wont be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labour either. I dream about work and spreadsheets and there is nothing healthy about that. lol

So I will try to do yoga before going to bed to relax and shut off my mind. Then I will see about doing it first thing in the morning.

Taj
    Credits
    I'm going to try this thanks.

Recently had some wildcards thrown at me.

LB
    Credits

Thumbs up

No problem Taj.

If you dont mind sharing later on what you did to help bring your levels down, that would be nice. :)

LB
    Credits
    so yea....I aint dont so good in this dept

Gonna re-group today though.

LB
    Credits
    Chronic Stress Linked To Inflammation And Disease

Stress wreaks havoc on the mind and body. For example, psychological stress is associated with greater risk for depression, heart disease and infectious diseases. But, until now, it has not been clear exactly how stress influences disease and health.

A research team led by Carnegie Mellon University's Sheldon Cohen has found that chronic psychological stress is associated with the body losing its ability to regulate the inflammatory response. Published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the research shows for the first time that the effects of psychological stress on the body's ability to regulate inflammation can promote the development and progression of disease.

"Inflammation is partly regulated by the hormone cortisol and when cortisol is not allowed to serve this function, inflammation can get out of control," said Cohen, the Robert E. Doherty Professor of Psychology within CMU's Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Cohen argued that prolonged stress alters the effectiveness of cortisol to regulate the inflammatory response because it decreases tissue sensitivity to the hormone. Specifically, immune cells become insensitive to cortisol's regulatory effect. In turn, runaway inflammation is thought to promote the development and progression of many diseases.

Cohen, whose groundbreaking early work showed that people suffering from psychological stress are more susceptible to developing common colds, used the common cold as the model for testing his theory. With the common cold, symptoms are not caused by the virus - they are instead a "side effect" of the inflammatory response that is triggered as part of the body's effort to fight infection. The greater the body's inflammatory response to the virus, the greater is the likelihood of experiencing the symptoms of a cold.

In Cohen's first study, after completing an intensive stress interview, 276 healthy adults were exposed to a virus that causes the common cold and monitored in quarantine for five days for signs of infection and illness. Here, Cohen found that experiencing a prolonged stressful event was associated with the inability of immune cells to respond to hormonal signals that normally regulate inflammation. In turn, those with the inability to regulate the inflammatory response were more likely to develop colds when exposed to the virus.

In the second study, 79 healthy participants were assessed for their ability to regulate the inflammatory response and then exposed to a cold virus and monitored for the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, the chemical messengers that trigger inflammation. He found that those who were less able to regulate the inflammatory response as assessed before being exposed to the virus produced more of these inflammation-inducing chemical messengers when they were infected.

"The immune system's ability to regulate inflammation predicts who will develop a cold, but more importantly it provides an explanation of how stress can promote disease," Cohen said. "When under stress, cells of the immune system are unable to respond to hormonal control, and consequently, produce levels of inflammation that promote disease. Because inflammation plays a role in many diseases such as cardiovascular, asthma and autoimmune disorders, this model suggests why stress impacts them as well."

He added, "Knowing this is important for identifying which diseases may be influenced by stress and for preventing disease in chronically stressed people."

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    No problem Taj.

If you dont mind sharing later on what you did to help bring your levels down, that would be nice. :)
    finding remedies for my allergy distress / purifier and claratin-D (the d makes a big difference)
    knit
    shop local farmer market
    walk more
    @ work just say "sure Ok" forget opposition or spelling out logic to ppl
    calling to keep in touch more

what I really wanted to do was yoga in the mornings but that ain work out
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    finding remedies for my allergy distress / purifier and claratin-D (the d makes a big difference)
    knit
    shop local farmer market
    walk more
    @ work just say "sure Ok" forget opposition or spelling out logic to ppl
    calling to keep in touch more

what I really wanted to do was yoga in the mornings but that ain work out
    cool Taj :-)

Have you tried a neti pot for your allergies. I personally dislike using them cause I have a fear of drowning lol but they work quite well.

I'm not a morning person at all so my goal to do yoga too isnt panning out. gonna substitute walking in the morning and then doing more vigorous activities in the afternoon. I figured I wont stress myself out for not doing things exactly how I want and finding other options. Ah irony. lol

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    cool Taj :-)

Have you tried a neti pot for your allergies. I personally dislike using them cause I have a fear of drowning lol but they work quite well.

I'm not a morning person at all so my goal to do yoga too isnt panning out. gonna substitute walking in the morning and then doing more vigorous activities in the afternoon. I figured I wont stress myself out for not doing things exactly how I want and finding other options. Ah irony. lol
    lol yes lists generally bring stress

I've tried it 1x before but it was a makeshift nettie pot and cos I wan't familiar with it someone was pouring it not me that was ... an experience but it did clear me up.
    actually a dip in some salt water would surely take care of this ish
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    lol yes lists generally bring stress

I've tried it 1x before but it was a makeshift nettie pot and cos I wan't familiar with it someone was pouring it not me that was ... an experience but it did clear me up.
    actually a dip in some salt water would surely take care of this ish
    Yeah I kinda sorta hate the sensation too but it works

Credits
    Read on for to quickly find the best methods...

1-One of the main stress relaxation techniques goes against what almost everyone believes. You see, if you are stressed, you will generally be better off drinking less alcohol. The reason people drink when they are stressed is that the alcohol numbs the bad feelings. This may feel better short term, but in reality they are making things worse by ignoring their symptoms. This will often lead to a whole host of related problems.

2-Sleep! Your body needs sleep. If you aren't getting enough sleep, your stress levels will rise. There's nothing you can do about it. Less sleep equals more anxiety/stress. Relaxation techniques are great, but if your body is not getting the sleep it needs, you're making it struggle just to run the daily processes it needs to complete to keep you healthy. And surprise surprise, this induces stress.

3-Avoid conflict. All the chillout techniques in the world won't help you if you are forever getting into arguments with your colleagues and friends. Conflict in arguments of all types will increase your stress levels, and this is especially common in the workplace. Try to avoid getting drawn into petty arguments, and you'll be a lot happier because of it.
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    You are my best friend
    I'm glad I met you

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jonson View Post
    Read on for to quickly find the best methods...

1-One of the main stress relaxation techniques goes against what almost everyone believes. You see, if you are stressed, you will generally be better off drinking less alcohol. The reason people drink when they are stressed is that the alcohol numbs the bad feelings. This may feel better short term, but in reality they are making things worse by ignoring their symptoms. This will often lead to a whole host of related problems.

2-Sleep! Your body needs sleep. If you aren't getting enough sleep, your stress levels will rise. There's nothing you can do about it. Less sleep equals more anxiety/stress. Relaxation techniques are great, but if your body is not getting the sleep it needs, you're making it struggle just to run the daily processes it needs to complete to keep you healthy. And surprise surprise, this induces stress.

3-Avoid conflict. All the chillout techniques in the world won't help you if you are forever getting into arguments with your colleagues and friends. Conflict in arguments of all types will increase your stress levels, and this is especially common in the workplace. Try to avoid getting drawn into petty arguments, and you'll be a lot happier because of it.
    Well said

especially the sleep part....me without sleep which is a common occurrence, is a very disasterous thing! My tolerance level plunges and then food cravings kick in to compensate for the serotonin levels going off kilter in my head

Credits
    Nice Post...
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    You are my best friend
    I'm glad I met you