Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saving for Retirement - 401k....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    unless you can correct me, target date funds, mutual funds would operate on the same principles of MMF towards the age of retirement, that is investing in commercial paper, sovereign debt, and cash
    Nope. Most invest in stock, bonds and some cash. It reallocates as you get closer to retirement age (ie less risky).

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
    Nope. Most invest in stock, bonds and some cash. It reallocates as you get closer to retirement age (ie less risky).
    a money market fund investing in stock? come on now.. that is B.S.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
    401K's weren't originally designed for the average person. It was actually designed for the very well to do to defer or avoid paying taxes. Unfortunately, the average person making 40K-70K really won't save as much money as you might think by the time retirement comes around. Sadly... its reduces your disposable income..granted, saving is great but there is 2 sides to all of this. people only hear one side..the one designed to sell you the advantages. U never hear the disadvantages..and u dont know how much the 401K administrators are really making off of you.
    But its not like its a shadowy underground thing. You can look up the fees involved and you will know how much the administrators make. I couldn't be happier with my 401k. If i'm going to have a million dollars in savings that is where i'll get there first. I've been averaging 15 to 20% year over year except for 2008 - 2009. I do understand the other side of the coin but no way i can be as discipline with that money if i took it in hand to invest on my own.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    a money market fund investing in stock? come on now.. that is B.S.
    If you read correctly I stated target date funds invest in stock. It does not solely invest in debt and cash.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
    If you read correctly I stated target date funds invest in stock. It does not solely invest in debt and cash.
    where did i say that? i think you misread me

Credits
    dont pull out of the market now. and do not go overweight in fixed income products.

(edit)
    munis,
    EU, US longterm sovereign debt,
    (/edit)

haircuts are looming on the horizon.

(edit)
    try to diversify to companies that serve global needs (for example Coco Cola, Mcdonalds, Colgate, Philips Morris), and sectors serving increasing Asian demand (for food, energy)..
    (/edit)
    Last edited by Oneshot; 08-21-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Credits
    There are several resources that let you get financial services cheap. A lot of people can get their budget in order and pay their own debt.

My VoiceTv Financial Planning on a Limited Budget

Credits
    A study says that more than a quarter of Americans with 401(k)s and other retirement accounts are getting into those accounts before retirement to pay bills. About a third of U.S. households contribute to 401(k)s or other kinds of retirement savings accounts, amounting to about $3.5 trillion all told. Experts recommend that consumers save at least eight years worth of their salary before retirement. Article Source: Retirement Savings.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymeE View Post
    A study says that more than a quarter of Americans with 401(k)s and other retirement accounts are getting into those accounts before retirement to pay bills. About a third of U.S. households contribute to 401(k)s or other kinds of retirement savings accounts, amounting to about $3.5 trillion all told. Experts recommend that consumers save at least eight years worth of their salary before retirement. Article Source: Retirement Savings.
    eight years of current salary or targeted salary?

Credits
    I save 20% of my income and I have a Roth 401k, and some stocks and bonds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12