Thread: How many Credit Cards

Credits

How many Credit Cards

Are too many?

Im considering getting a third to accrue more frequent flyer miles. My first one is more or less dormant (parked it aside) My primary spending card is 0% for 12 months and gives points at my grocers.

Credits
    I'd say no more than two

Gladiator
    for some two, and for others three..depends on your financial status and how discipline you are when paying your bills. I would always recommend that a teenager start off with just one..

Ent
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by analyzethis View Post
    I'd say no more than two
    I understand good reasons for just 2 credit cards BUT Here it the problem the that. These days they are lowering your credit limits and canceling your cards like crazy EVEN WHEN YOU ALWAYS PAY ON TIME like me. So if you just ave 2 cards and that happens then what?

Ent
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ent View Post
    I understand good reasons for just 2 credit cards BUT Here it the problem the that. These days they are lowering your credit limits and canceling your cards like crazy EVEN WHEN YOU ALWAYS PAY ON TIME like me. So if you just ave 2 cards and that happens then what?
    I got every card I could while credit cards were given away like crazy BUT I dindn't use them.

Thats what you need -Discipline!

Now that I need the cards and they are canceling cards (even when you alwasy pay on time) and lowering limits while hiking rates - I have much more choice than the average person.

Also, credit rating is based on the credit amount you have available to you. You cant build credit with no outstanding balances or available credit.

So Unless you have a serious discipline problem - get every card you can.

Last edited by Ent; 07-19-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Spoogie
    I have one.

Credits
    I've never had one, I'm fraid ah dem. However, I do know someone who has just about every credit card ever made. She says when she maxes one out, she uses another to pay it off.
    "There is nothing more dangerous than to build a society with a large segment of people in that society who feel they have no stake in it; who feel they have nothing to lose. People who have stake in their society, protect that society, but when they don't have it, they unconsciously want to destroy it." M.L.K, Jr.

"It grew on me that we black men especially, were expected to be subservient even in groups where ostensibly everyone is equal." Shirley Chisholm