Thread: Zoukla!!

Credits

Zoukla!!

I always liked Xouk but never knew any names. And i don't speak Creole (unfortunately).

Can anybody recommend names/songs they like? I really just need a spark up.
    I already have

Zoukla se sel Medikaman Nou Ni - Kassav'

Lesser Parler Les Gens - Justine, Cheela, Passi, & Jacob(of Kassav')

But i want more.

Credits
    ey boy, i feel ya. i love zouk but dunno much artistes cept for kassav. and as for soukous, i LOOOOVE sakis.

but here, discover this thread, it still comes by from time to time: http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f6...kompas-146914/

Credits

Soukous

Awilo is big in d Soukous world. these men can wine yes!!! not too sure bout dem wardrobe..!!

Credits

Boukman Eksperyans - Ke'm Pa Sote

tuuuuuuunnnnnne....my favorite...10 minutes of chaos when dis on de road on at a haitian club...no need for wheeling.

2:00 minutes into the video always gives me chills

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soka junkie View Post
    Awilo is big in d Soukous world. these men can wine yes!!! not too sure bout dem wardrobe..!!

I love the Karolina song
    "If they were appreciated for their personality in the first place, she would not have been told to get extensions or weave when she started out as a reporter. This whole thing would not have been an issue to begin with if these women were appreciated for what was in their heads and on on top it." - Hello BKLYN

Credits
    Soukous was a dance from the 1970's, it's more of a western marketing term than a genre of music. The correct term in Congolese rumba or rumba Congalese. I stay away from the type of noisy Congolese musik that artists like Awilo are known for. i liken them to the throwaway soca, dancehall and rap that have been polluting the airwaves lately. As for zouk, some good names for zouk love are; Sonia Dersion, Jocelyn labelle?, Soumia, etc, Check out Luc leandry, Experience 7, Sartana, Eric Virgal & Tanya st. Val(both lovers and hard zouk) fore more uptempo stuff. Though smaller in population, the music coming out of Marti nique and Guadeloupe is much more varied than what is released from Jamaica or Trinidad. There are also artists such as Dede st prix, Akiyo, Marce & Toumpak, Kali, Malavoi that release more traditional, roots and carnival recordings. I would try emusic.com for some zouk compilations. Section zouk is a good label for contemporary zouk, which has been heavily influenced by rap and r&b. The creole speakers on the forumn would be able to help you more. I left out Dominica(though it's said to be the birthplace of zouk) because I'n not sure that artists like Ophelia, jeff joseph and Exile one are considered mainstream zouk artists(correct me if I'm wrong) There's a whole wave of zouk coming out of Cape Verde and some of former Portuguese African colonies.
    Last edited by ken_yatta; 03-22-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Credits
    Alright NeXT Question, Whats the diff. b/w Zouk and Soukous? And what about Bouyon? Is that comparable to any of them?

Credits
    Soukous was a popular Congolese dance that started in the 1970's. The genre of music is really Congolese rumba, which was heavily influenced by Afro Cuban music. Congolese vocalists sing in Lingala and other Central African languages. Zouk vocals are in French and Creole. One you hear the sweet vocals and bell like guitars, then its easier to identify Congolese music. Congolese music is also more complex and polyrhythmic.

sebas4920
    the congolese music is dope

there is one where a congolese musician and a cuban musician teamed up (the music has similar roots)

its a beautiful album called "bana congo" and it is by papa noel and papi oviedo

for zouk I like vikings de guadaloupe too, who didnt really do zouk (they did cadance), but members from that band formed kassav

also

luc leandry
    malavoi
    zouk machine
    francky vincent
    eric brouta
    tanya st val

there are some ladies i like too that I cant remember

I dont really know much about the stuff from the 2000 on up...

Credits
    Bouyon is Dominican soca with a French twist.
    "If they were appreciated for their personality in the first place, she would not have been told to get extensions or weave when she started out as a reporter. This whole thing would not have been an issue to begin with if these women were appreciated for what was in their heads and on on top it." - Hello BKLYN