Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Zouk & Kompas: What are the main distinguishing differences between these two genres?

Credits
    Many of the newer artists mix zouk and konpa love, as Tikreyol mentioned above.

The roll of the Haitian congas is hard to forget, as is the sax.

Kassav took the Haitian percussion out of cadence and added the gwo ka and chouval bwa from Gwada and Matinik. Of course, there were many more chances, but I'm tired and have to work tomorrow. It's easy for me the differentiate, bu I have been at it for over 20 years.

A favorite by Typical Combo, a group that went back to the cadence era.

Another great zouk group from the cadence era.

Classic cadence from Gwada.

old zouk love. This was the Natasha Wilson of her day. She's still singing, but she never really broke out. Still doing a lot of back up work.

"Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    Some traditional elements that set zouk apart.

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    Finally someone willing to contribute something positive to this thread based upon what I requested.

Many thanks Seawall.

As I said before this thread is not just for my benefit but for anyone else who would like to be able to tell the difference between Zouk & Kompas music when they hear it.

PS: I did not create this thread to ego trip but to use as a quick educational tool in Zouk and Kompas not just for myself but for anyone else who might be interested.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Finally someone willing to contribute something positive to this thread based upon what I requested.

Many thanks Seawall.

As I said before this thread is not just for my benefit but for anyone else who would like to be able to tell the difference between Zouk & Kompas music when they hear it.

PS: I did not create this thread to ego trip but to use as a quick educational tool in Zouk and Kompas not just for myself but for anyone else who might be interested.
    And anyone that is SERIOUSLY interested in a genre of music needs to learn about the music from A-Z. You would NEVER just post some tunes to define Soca music. That's disrespectful. And if you would you are just as dumb as I thought. Good luck differentiating the genres of those videos
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    And anyone that is SERIOUSLY interested in a genre of music needs to learn about the music from A-Z. You would NEVER just post some tunes to define Soca music. That's disrespectful. And if you would you are just as dumb as I thought. Good luck differentiating the genres of those videos
    Again thanks for being totally useless, trying to waste my time and proving your worth.
    At least I know in the future not to take anything you say seriously and not to allow you to waste my time.

This thread has achieved its goal because anyone new to Zouk and Kompas can come into this thread and at least learn the basics and that is all I was interested in achieving.

In fact I think I am going to save this thread to my favourites and reference it in the future if anyone else needs a quick Zouk & Kompas crash course lesson.

Other more useful posters are welcomed to contribute more Zouk and Kompas recordings to this thread if you think it would be helpful to the uninitiated.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    Another prominent feature of the konpa direk is the accordion. The instrument is real in the old classic below, but it is usually synthesized in present day konpa recordings.

Cubano and Shah Skah live. Laid back konpa with a Cuban flavor.

Contrast the above with a very uptempo live performance by Kassav. Note the lone sax player in the konpa performance and kassav's full horn section.

Now here's Tabou Combo live. Classic Konpa leaves room for solos much like Cuban music and jazz. A comparison would be between the 70's Congolese rumba and 80's soukous. Soukous jettisoned the two part song structure of the rumba and jumped immediately into the fast paced, dance oriented sebene.

Two kassav classics. Zouk uses strings rather than accordions (synthesized or real). Female singers (back up and lead) are also more prominent in zouk (Again, I'm making generalizations).

Note the Antillean percussion.

Socapro likes this.

Credits
    A slow konpa love song. Note the synthesized accordion at the 2:50 mark.

I would classify this as Afro zouk, or just zouk love, though Daan Jr. is Haitian and Teeyah is Ivorian (I believe). You have many of the younger Haitian artists recording zouk love songs, and many of older zouk artists from the cadence era will record 1 or 2 konpa/cadence tunes on their albums.

Here's Simon Jurad, a Martiniquan artist who started during the cadence era, then flourished recording zouk, and is again recording konpa/cadence.

Here's a studio version of the konpa above. It's the original zouk version.

Socapro likes this.

Credits
    Typical konpa and zouk drumming. The first example is better.

Maruka likes this.

Credits
    Is this tune here Zouk or Kompa or an equal fusion of both? Anyway I like it!

Benz aka Mr Gwada - Pa Lage' Mwen [2013 DA Zouk Love/Kompa]

Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence

The Uprising bouyon artist of Dominica is doing it big again ...but this time he doing it differently with such sweet zouk (compa) love music .To all the zouk and compa fans out there i know you will love this one.
    This song was Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence at Cotton Groove Studio Dominica.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Is this tune here Zouk or Kompa or an equal fusion of both? Anyway I like it!

Benz aka Mr Gwada - Pa Lage' Mwen [2013 DA Zouk Love/Kompa]

Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence

The Uprising bouyon artist of Dominica is doing it big again ...but this time he doing it differently with a such sweet zouk (compa) love music .To all the zouk and compa fans out there i know you will love this one.
    This song was Produce by Krishna 'DadaMuzic' Lawrence at Cotton Groove Studio Dominica.
    that is cadencelpyso with a little zouk

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappo View Post
    that is cadencelpyso with a little zouk
    Not doubting you but why do you think the folks who posted the song to YouTube who are supposed to know about the music described it as sweet zouk (compa) love music in the description section?
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Just realized that Lappo never answered my question in above post #26 and it is now over 4 months since I posed my simple question.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Challenge to Lappo: Post to this thread 10 compas tracks and 10 zouk tracks all mixed-up and without any labels to identify whether they are compa or zouk tracks and lets see if I can correctly label/identify them.

If I can't get MOST of the labelling correct then you have proven that I can't tell the difference between both styles but if I get MOST or ALL correct then I've proven that I am now knowledgeable enough in this area just as any of you so-called zouk and compa lovers.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Just realized that Lappo never answered my question in above post #26 and it is now over 4 months since I posed my simple question.
    the way the organ is played gives it the cadencelypso swing

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappo View Post
    the way the organ is played gives it the cadencelypso swing
    That still does not answer my question though. Here it is again.

Why do you think the folks who posted the song to YouTube who are supposed to know about the music described it as sweet zouk (compa) love music in the description section?

Also answer me this, which music came before which, compa or cadence-lypso?
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast