Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soraya and all Haitians and Kompas lovers

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits

Soraya and all Haitians and Kompas lovers

What happened to the band Phantom or Phantoms I liked their music when I was yonger are there any links to their songs?

Credits
    They're working on a new album now.....

Credits
    Do you have a link to their old stuff and who is this chick I like this song

Credits
    she's MISTY JEAN , album released in 2005,song called " sé wou man vlé " (u're the one i want). She 's just released a new album this summer

Credits
    she also won Miss Haiti pageant some years ago.I must admit she's really pretty...sorry i don't have her phone number

Credits
    Wow thanks Peepers for all the information. But no one has sent me a link to Phantom or some old songs they had. I think they sang the song Ou La La.

Credits
    i don't think they still perform. here's an artical to read. yes they sang "oh la la" but i can't remember the exact title of the song , when i find the song i'll let you know

The Haitian konpa group Phantoms

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by anakonda View Post
    i don't think they still perform. here's an artical to read. yes they sang "oh la la" but i can't remember the exact title of the song , when i find the song i'll let you know

The Haitian konpa group Phantoms
    thank you so much .

Credits
    Ou La La is Sweet Micky. They are performing this weekend at a Haitian Music Gala at JFK/Hilton and like I said they are coming out with a new album.

Credits
    In FAct Misty JEan will be Hosting the same gala. It's really quite sad how little my CArribean Brethren adn Blacks in GEneral know about Compas. Its evident in teh fact that "Zouk La se sel Medikamen pou li" a 20 Year Old song by Kassav is considered a Compas song and Haitian...whenit's neither. But there is a more universal Compas on the Horizon.

ms_socadiva
    Quote Originally Posted by EPROPS View Post
    Ou La La is Sweet Micky. They are performing this weekend at a Haitian Music Gala at JFK/Hilton and like I said they are coming out with a new album.
    really..i didnt hear bout that!! are the tickets already sold out?

Credits
    Here's a review of Misty's latest. It's pretty accurate, i think. I've had the disc for about a month. Actually, I like Izly's latest Cd better. Here's a video from her 1st CD Poze.

CD Review: Misty Jean - Li Pa Two Ta
    July 16, 2008 – 12:02 am
    CD Review: Misty Jean - Li Pa Two Ta | Haitian Music and Entertainment.

1. Ne Touche Pas A Mon Homme [4m30s]
    If Ralph Condé’s gut feeling told him to start this song off with a “solo kibòd”, that’s fine with me; I only wish his brain would have talked him out of using the same sound he had already sprinkled all over Cleo’s CD. Arrrrgh! Even amidst his keyboard madness during the initial 1m47s, I was able to quickly latch on to Misty’s voice and didn’t let go until she sang the last note. The double tracking on some of her lead adds a delightful touch. She warns the ladies out there, “Pa tchéké nonm mwen; pa vlé’w gadé li… Sa ka fè’m fè jalouzi.” Hmm, I’m sure Misty pa janm bay flannè lòt fi yon ti tchèk. Right! Condé’s guitar work in the closing minute would make Steve Stevens smile with joy - if he listened to Konpa.

2. Rev Mwen [5m30s]
    First two verses lead up to a magnificent build-up at 1m43s. Since this is a Nickenson Prud’Homme contribution, I suppose no one dared denying him his one minute of siwel fame? Dismissing that annoyance, ["mmm, an réyalité"] this is a decent Konpa love track. Drums, acoustic guitar, and gorgeous background vocals, all deserve special mention. That said, there are a couple of technical issues that are too flagrant to ignore. What the hell is that “THUMP” noise at 3m40s? I seriously doubt it’s part of the music. Also, there have been various audio spikes on these first two tracks, but the distortion on the syllable “pra’l” on the backing vocals [yon lanmou k'pra'l diré, starting at 4m02s] is simply atrocious. It is this lack of attention to detail from diz HMI professionals that’s making me go grey at a much too young age.

3. Li Pa Two Ta [5m02s]
    Misty’s delivery in the first two minutes doesn’t impress me “ah-tall”. Manmzel drésé kò li in the remaining three minutes when she kicks it into a higher gear. Still, her voice isn’t enough to carry a tune, which has nothing remotely immersing or thrilling going on in it. Even the thirty second guitar solo at 2m58s sounds somewhat forced. Her “pou’n sispann goumen, pou’n mét tèt ansanm, pou’n ka gen yon demen” might get a rise out of kèlke haïtien, but frankly, I find such lyrics tiring already. The lack of another brutal keyboard solo is probably the only saving grace for this track. Halleluyah!!!

4. Pa Jijé [4m37s]
    “Men ou pa jam bay fanm valè; nan lan la vi sa fok ou aprann respekté fanm”.
    [I'll be right back with the rest of the review. I must run to Brasserie Creole and play this track for Isnard Douby.]

[All right, I'm back; where were we?]
    Live drums and horns [the two pan-yol from Nu Look] nudge this offering into the semi-heavy Konpa corner. As I’ve said before, Misty should avoid singing these types of songs, no matter how many more pairs of shoes her beau promises to buy her. She’s rarely at her best when confronted with them in the past, and it’s no different this time around. On this one, she’s a little flat, a little feeble, and appears to be a little “auto-tuned”. The fact that the music is as exciting as a Saturday morning visit from a Jehovah’s Witness doesn’t help her cause either. Something as simple as dropping a short piano solo could have injected a little “chaleur”.

5. Vini’m Bo’w [5m01s]
    How did I recognise this as a Ralph Condé composition? Well, it has a guitar intro redolent of two-thirds of the tracks on his Akoustique Kréyol CD. The beginning 1m24s [vocals, guitars, keys/strings] made for a sublime ballad, but he wasted no time descending into neo-konpa abyss. Things don’t necessarily fall apart entirely [thanks to Misty and her girls], but Mr. Condé’s unrelenting onslaught on the darn keyboard forces me to listen to most of this song with gnashing teeth. Suddenly, having to listen to a thousand horny cicadas doesn’t seem so annoying after all.

6. Tu Pleures [5m57s]
    With a trumpet & trombone intro, laid-back feel, and [mostly] French vocals, this is the sort of track one would probably hear on a “Soft Konpa” “Lite-FM” radio station [if de HMI could afford to buy one]. This is also the sort of material I usually frown upon. But, I was finally sold on this one by the acoustic guitar solo, the brass section [men pan-yol yo!], and especially some great George Benson-style guitar vocalisation. Should I shout “viktwa”? Um, not so fast! You know, any producer with a bit of music sense would have chosen to leave well enough alone; but no, not Mr. Jeff Wainwright-Jean. He had to call in a certain Harold St. Louis to ruin the last minute with [what else?] another swell siwel, using the most strident of keyboard sounds you could imagine. How can our Konpa people continue to defy good taste with such rubbish? Should I blame this on poverty and lack of education as well? Un-bloody-believable! [In with the good air... Out with the bad...]
    7. Kijan Lari Ya Yé [4m36s]
    How do I know this is a Ralph Condé compo… Oh wait… I think I already used that intro. Scratch that… Anyway, this uptempo “konpa dijital” tune is more suitable for hyping little girls at one of the twenty Florida Konpa festivals than for a grouchy reviewer to enjoy at home. Al “tchoup tchoup” in somebody else’s audio system! Oh yeah, this would be a good song for Misty to roll down istèn pakwé on Labor Day. Maybe OpaMizik can sponsor her float?
    8. Valè Fanm - Featuring Symphoni, Martine Marseille [1m41s]
    Three girls in less than two minutes! Sweeeet! Now, that’s what I call yon “valè fanm!” Let’s move on; shall we? “K”?
    9. Hommage A Ti Manno [7m35s]
    The songs included on this medley are “Ansanm Ansanm”, “Corige” [starting at 1m50s], “Canter” [at 2m55s], “L’argent” [4m09s], “David” [4m55s], “Marriage d’Interet” [@ 6m11s]. Medleys are a waste of my listening time; covering only one of the aforementioned songs would still be considered “Hommage a Ti Manno”. What’s worth noting about this particular medley is the fact that the original version of “Ansanm Ansanm” is, itself, part of a medley. In any event, Misty did all right on some of the segments ["Corigé", "David"] and not so hot on others ["L'argent"]. The instrumentation on this potpourri will not make you forget the originals any time soon. And people, please, it’s not “kòd fanmi”; and it’s not “kòt fanmi” either.
    10. Tam Tam [Latino Mix - Featuring Shino] [4m37s]
    Reggaetón version of a song with already two other mixes on this artist’s previous release. How many more remixes of “Tam Tam” must we endure in our short lifetime? Recycling aluminium cans is good for the planet; recycling old tunes for a new CD is very bad for my blood pressure.
    11. Lanmou Tounen Prizon [5m09s]
    Richard Rouzeau came really close to giving us a terrific song. It has the big attention grabbing intro, respectable drums, good melody, decent lyrics, catchy hooks, and one of the better performances from Misty Jean. Why, then, did he fall short? Well, problem is, the accompanying music is devoid of any variation; everything - verses, chorus, keyboard solo - is played atop of a short guitars+piano+sample sequence. As a result, beyond 2m15s, things start sounding like a bal sound check when setting instrument levels. A few breaks are thrown in at opportune times, but we always come back to the same short sequence loop. I don’t believe in following any strict formula when composing, but I do think this is one instance where a good bridge section would have done wonders for this potentially great tune.
    12. Lonely Lover [Featuring Ed Calle] [3m54s]
    This is a rework of a Skandal tune from their “Nouvelle Génération” LP/CD. I never fancied the original since Haitian pop isn’t quite my cup of tea. This rendition is more along the lines of Easy Listening/Jazz instrumental. The lead vocals are replaced entirely by Ed Calle’s saxophone, which makes this version more palatable. This would make great music for a dentist’s waiting room.
    The Puppet Master
    Listening to this disc, it was tough to tell if it was Misty Jean’s voice being put on display or those keyboard players from mayami. Look, if our musicians want to insert a synth solo on every tune, that’s their prerogative; but, what I simply do not get is their proclivity for using the same silly [substitute appropriate profanity] sounds that are already heard on 95% of Konpa songs. What will it take to make these guys understand the true essence of the genre? The fact that they continue to repeat these mistakes, over and over, tells me they’re nothing but a bunch of unoriginal copycats and pretenders who haven’t a clue about the music they’re playing and producing. Is this how they intend “pou fè konpa monté pli ho”?
    As with Konpa a Gogo, there are no instant classics amongst these songs. What you do get is a collection that the average Konpa lover should find more than acceptable; it’s just not of the calibre that’ll gratify the pernickety listener. Even with a greater reliance on live drums and real brass instruments, as well as participation from practically every mizisyen haïtien living south of Georgia, don’t expect a “full band” sound; this disc has a too familiar “djaz dijital” feel to it. It also lacks the polishing touch of other French Caribbean material coming out of France. Maybe Misty should take a long look in that direction for her next project?
    Last edited by ken_yatta; 08-26-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Credits
    And what other songs does this girl sing? I love her voice.

Credits
    If this girl don't stop postin' these ole' as dirt videos....

Someone show her the Light....
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    If this girl don't stop postin' these ole' as dirt videos....

Someone show her the Light....
    You have all the talk post sumtin den

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast