Thread: Man from Gwada:Dominik Coco

Credits

Man from Gwada:Dominik Coco

CARIB CREOLE ONE - D. Coco: "Kako music is a militant act"

D. Coco: "Kako music is a militant act"

By Carib Creole Jun 04, 2008 l 19:00

Dominik Coco, the unruly child of the kako music made in Gwada will release his new album, "Lespri Kaskod", on June 9th. In artistic residence in Artchipel, Dominique Coco had received Carib Creole on October 25th, 2007, while he worked on "Lespri Kaskod tour" and presented, for the first time, in live, the concept of this new album.

Carib Creole:strong> Domininik Coco, after "Lakou zaboka", you are back with a new album " Lespri Kaskod ". Kaskod is an expression which was very used in the Guadeloupean independentist…

Dominik Coco : (laughs) Each makes what he has to make. Music represents people. We like making laugh, speak about daring things, it is not disturbing to see that there are engaged artists. The important for me, it is to make beautiful song. It is not compulsory to treat the same subjects. Everybody cannot be engaged, we cannot pretend: either we are, or we are not! For me, the art it is already a synonym for commitment.

CC1:Is it important for you that an artist to be engaged?

D.C. : Each makes what he has to make. Music represents people. We like making laugh, speak about daring things, it is not disturbing to see that there are engaged artists. The important for me, it is to make beautiful song. It is not compulsory to treat the same subjects. Everybody cannot be engaged, we cannot pretend: either we are, or we are not! For me, the art it is already a synonym for commitment.

CC1: How have you changed since "Lakou Zaboka"?

D.C. :Take another project is something quite delicate. Do not be afraid of collaborations, or be reduced to keep the same ingredients. Do not be afraid to take risks in order to bring other things. There is like a little logic, I can not do less well so I am obliged to go ahead. This is an album more open to the world, but the Creole identity is always present. I am talking about the world, but through the vision of a Guadeloupean.

CC1: What about the kako music concept ?

D.C. :In this album, I also spoke of "kako music", it’s this mixture between tradition and modernity. It is a music that you can not really determine, it is not Gwo Ka, or Zouk, nor Hip-Hop and Dance Hall. It is a mixture of several influences, but it has a strong Creole identity. The kako-music is also a state of mind. On this album, I still do something I love: tap into Guadeloupe musical heritage that I accommodate "to my sauce." I had already done it with "Fierté Savanne". I continue because I believe it is a way to live our heritage. The kako spirit is an act militancy. Especially now, when youth is very open to things of the world and tends to imitate, take and forget what we really are. Kako exists to channel it a little, to show the different possibilities. But it must be said that there are several kako person, several people who work in this sense. Young people are trying increasingly to customize the influence Dance Hall. They are moving towards something more local, they are confronted with the "What is yours ?".

Credits
    Thx for posting about him
    HTTP://QUEEN-DESTRA.COM - COMiNG SOON