Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kassav...The Originators

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    ofcourse she knows what last means......so many bands say that but if the crowd is hype they give a couple more tracks. Usually vocalists in a band will say this the last for the night know full well that there is at least 15 - 20 mins left. It's just to set up the crowd.
    I figured as much - They were a huge hit with the St. Martiners who usually come for Carnival, except there were even more of them. Perhaps I would have enjoyed them a bit more if I understood what they were saying...

Speaking of St. Martiners, MarcNY do you speak/understand French? Or are you a St. Maartener?

m
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by AxAeo View Post
    I figured as much - They were a huge hit with the St. Martiners who usually come for Carnival, except there were even more of them. Perhaps I would have enjoyed them a bit more if I understood what they were saying...

Speaking of St. Martiners, MarcNY do you speak/understand French? Or are you a St. Maartener?
    I'm from the Dutch side so I speak Dutch, but you done know how it stay awready. My grandmothers both lived on the French Side, and when my parents first moved to SM when I was 1 we lived there for a couple years, on the French Side, not in grand's house. Is one people.

Credits
    hmm I contend Anguilla threw a beach party for St. Martin

Honestly I'm sure they were good for their kinda audience but most Anguillians will dance to Zouk for 2 to 3 songs after that we want a change.

I couldnt understand a word of what they were saying so I gave up and just enjoyed the company i had on the boat.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcNY View Post
    I'm from the Dutch side so I speak Dutch, but you done know how it stay awready. My grandmothers both lived on the French Side, and when my parents first moved to SM when I was 1 we lived there for a couple years, on the French Side, not in grand's house. Is one people.
    Yeah it's always seemed pretty well blended to me, I find it silly that it's two separate governments. I find it funny that even though it's such a small island with two mostly homogeneous cultures, the majority of the people there would reject a merging of the two into a unified free state.

m
    Credits
    Yeah it's always seemed pretty well blended to me, I find it silly that it's two separate governments. I find it funny that even though it's such a small island with two mostly homogeneous cultures, the majority of the people there would reject a merging of the two into a unified free state.
    It's really 2 different countries, that to the common observer SEEMS like one island.

It's a great source of pride to have it that way, the smallest place in the world to have 2 separate nationals WITHOUT border.

We united in cultural ways, it's good the way it is. French and Dutch don't mix, that's why there is a France and that's why there is a Holland. However, black people always mix well. Currently, the French side is under Guadelope and The Dutch Side under Curacao.

Credits
    I don't think its that welll blended; you can actually tell the difference between them even if you dont always know exactly where the border starts teh architecture, food, racial mixture, music, vibes and other things are just different from each other

Credits
    AxAeo.....you're about 17 right? You still have time to grow into certain things. I didn't always like zouk/cadence/kompas/soukous.......it was always around me but I developped the passion for it at about age 16/17

As for SXM.....I like it the way it is. A taste of Holland and France in one lil island. That is sweet. I prefer the french side though.
    Last edited by Nica; 08-07-2007 at 07:10 PM.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

m
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by AXA_Princess View Post
    I don't think its that welll blended; you can actually tell the difference between them even if you dont always know exactly where the border starts teh architecture, food, racial mixture, music, vibes and other things are just different from each other
    Well the 2 sides look vastly different architecturally (sp) since the Dutch Side is and always has been more developed and Americanized and the French Side is like lil Paris.

The people, well on the French Side the locals don't take no shit, just like the French in France don't take no shit from they government same ting in St. Martin, but in St. Maarten, the locals kinda backwards in many ways...unfortunately, letting every Tom, Di.ck & Harry come een and mek money on dem/we. The Dutch Side is way more corrupt too.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    AxAeo.....you're about 1 right? You still have time to grow into certain things. I didn't always like zouk/cadence/kompas/soukous.......it was always around me but I developped the passion for it at about age 16/17

As for SXM.....I like it the way it is. A taste of Holland and France in one lil island. That is sweet. I prefer the french side though.
    1? I think you're a couple years off there sweetie. :P I get what you're saying though. I did like certain things about the performance but at the moment it just isn't all that to me. I think my music taste is plenty varied at this point anyway...

Credits
    1? I think you're a couple years off there sweetie. :P I get what you're saying though. I did like certain things about the performance but at the moment it just isn't all that to me. I think my music taste is plenty varied at this point anyway...
    I meant to type 17

see edit
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12