Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kassav...The Originators

Credits

Thumbs up Kassav...The Originators

A Wide Range of Sounds, From Antillean to Zouk
    By JON PARELES
    Published: August 2, 2007

Jocelyne Beroard, left, and Jean-Philippe Marthely of Kassav’ on Tuesday night at S.O.B.’s, the band’s
    first New York show in more than a decade.

It has been more than a decade between New York City shows for Kassav’, the band from
    Martinique and Guadeloupe that has brought French Antillean music to an international
    audience since the 1980s and regularly sells out large theaters in Europe. On Tuesday night,
    with a sold-out audience at S.O.B.’s, Kassav’ had obviously not been forgotten.
    Audience members shouted along on nearly every song, singing not only the words but also
    the zigzagging horn-section lines. And Kassav’ has had so many hits it had to
    pack them into medleys.

Kassav’ was a pioneer of a musical style called zouk — it rhymes with juke, and means
    party — that defines cultural survival via assimilation. The band records in Paris, but at
    the core of its songs is a jovial midtempo beat from Antillean carnival music — originally
    played on a log drum — that’s kin to Haitian compas and Trinidadian calypso. Back in the
    1980s Kassav’ put the log drum at the center of its stage setup; now that drum is absent
    but the beat persists. The lyrics are in Kreyol, the Africanized French still used in the
    islands, and they revolve around love, dancing, the Caribbean sun and the healing power
    of zouk itself.

The core members of the band — Jacob Desvarieux on guitar, Georges Decimus on bass
    and Jean-Claude Naimro on keyboards — play electric instruments. And the songs cheerfull
    borrow from French pop, salsa, fusion jazz or electronica, all of which Kassav’ dovetails
    with its Antillean beat. In one song two of the band’s singers, Jean-Philippe Marthely and
    Jocelyne Beroard, hooked elbows and swung their partner as if they were at a square dance.

On albums Kassav’ can sound a little too slick, conforming to French pop tastes. But
    onstage it concentrated on dance tunes and shed some layers of unnecessary gloss.
    The band had three contrasting lead singers: Mr. Desvarieux, who was gruff and smoky;
    Mr. Marthely, a buoyant tenor; and Ms. Beroard, whose voice can be bright and poppy
    or sweetly affectionate.

Mr. Naimro’s keyboards could sound like zinging dance-club synthesizers, an accordion, a
    steel drum or the clarinet used in old Martinican biguine music. Mr. Desvarieux’s
    guitar sometimes hinted at blues-rock or the intertwining lines of African rock before slipping
    back into the rhythm section. Slower tunes had an easygoing lilt and upbeat ones galloped,
    while somewhere in the mix, echoes of carnival beats carried them all.

Kassav’ will perform on Saturday night at the Prospect Park Band Shell as part of Celebrate
    Brooklyn; (718) 855-7882.

source

Credits
    Just getting back from going out to that performance in BK's Prospect Park.

2 words.

Pure...Niceness!

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    getting pure goosebumps...

Credits

Thumbs up

Best damn frigging show ah seen in a long time. Kassav is the greatest!!! This band has been around over 25 years and they stilll have IT!

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits

Thumbs up

the best gaudeloupe band ever
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MuSiQuE View Post
    Best damn frigging show ah seen in a long time. Kassav is the greatest!!! This band has been around over 25 years and they stilll have IT!
    Jocelyne Beroard looks good eh eh...

Credits

Thumbs up

KASSAV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dat show was boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Credits
    They played really well...the notes and everything were on point just as if I was listening to them on my mp3 player....now that's talent!!! I swear Kassav is the best damn band EVER!!!!
    "If they were appreciated for their personality in the first place, she would not have been told to get extensions or weave when she started out as a reporter. This whole thing would not have been an issue to begin with if these women were appreciated for what was in their heads and on on top it." - Hello BKLYN

Credits
    yup.......

Credits
    Eh, they were here in Anguilla last night for August Monday Beach Party and I wasn't that impressed. Their sound is interesting but it's not my thing, I had an OK time but I wouldn't have paid money to see them.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by AxAeo View Post
    Eh, they were here in Anguilla last night for August Monday Beach Party and I wasn't that impressed. Their sound is interesting but it's not my thing, I had an OK time but I wouldn't have paid money to see them.

De dark skin ole man wid de raspy voice de SICKEST in de group.

De man put on a piece a guitar playin dere boy...WoW!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcNY View Post

De dark skin ole man wid de raspy voice de SICKEST in de group.

De man put on a piece a guitar playin dere boy...WoW!
    I'll tell no lies, the man was sick. I was watching him hard when he was doing his solos and he was just damn good. The other dude I liked was their keyboardist/the dude with locks... I have a thing for trumpets/saxes so I enjoyed that part as well.

However, their lead female doesn't know that "last" in English means "done after this".

"This is our last song for tonight!" (The show didn't finish for another hour.)

Credits
    I'll tell no lies, the man was sick. I was watching him hard when he was doing his solos and he was just damn good. The other dude I liked was their keyboardist/the dude with locks... I have a thing for trumpets/saxes so I enjoyed that part as well.

However, their lead female doesn't know that "last" in English means "done after this".

You wanted it to end that bad!? lol... If they want to continue I would let the show go on!! lol... especially if they're singin' some vintage chunes...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Empressdududahlin View Post
    You wanted it to end that bad!? lol... If they want to continue I would let the show go on!! lol... especially if they're singin' some vintage chunes...
    Like I said, it didn't excite me that much, but I just found that funny.

Credits

ofcourse she knows what last means......so many bands say that but if the crowd is hype they give a couple more tracks. Usually vocalists in a band will say this the last for the night know full well that there is at least 15 - 20 mins left. It's just to set up the crowd.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast