Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Golda-Dansé Hero (Produced by Dada)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    LMAO you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Outside of major West Indian communities/cities dancehall does NOT get all that much play, if at all. I spent a summer in a programme in Chicago and the only people who knew ANYTHING about dancehall music were either of West Indian descent or from New York or Miami.

And Patois is drastically different from English, so much so its essentially a separate language in the same sense that Creole is a separate language from French. Most Americans have absolutely no idea what Jamaicans speaking patois (or any West Indian speaking in vernacular really) is saying in regular context, never mind when Dancehall artists throw in all the slang that younger generations use. I know Jamaican-Americans who don't understand patois, never mind Americans in general.

Once again, by how much? Because Soca has more or less always been in English and yet how much of that industry's income comes from outside of the Caribbean and the Caribbean diaspora? Studio time costs money, so if you're only gonna increase your market 2% or 5% then why bother making tracks in English at all. You might as well make Mandarin-Zouk or Hindi Zouk, you'd basically get the same effect.

Zouk has been around for 30 years, if the English market had any significant potential worth exploiting they would have done it by now. The fact that there is more Kizomba than Anglophone Zouk speaks volumes, the market just isn't there.
    dancehall is global from jamaica to japan and is even bigger in europe. anywhere in the world you can find jamaicans therefore anywhere you can find dancehall and reggae music...u said it yourself u were in chicago, it dont matter where those people were from but the bottom line is you were in chicago and people there knew about dancehall...and u can say whatever you want but thats bullshit bout only a couple people knew.. so many jamaicans and west indians live in chicago nowadays. EVERY major city in the u.s alone has a significant population of jamaicans/west indians and therefore the music spreads and is played there... i thought everybody knows this. Chicago Carifete... 35 NATIONS: 32 Islands... 3 countries... 1 LOVE!!!

as for jamaican patois being so different from english, well as i said thats your opinion. to me real rednecks who dont live around a really diverse group of people can still understand most patois...linguists say jamaican patois only have 5-10% non english words, and even then i would have think that has decreased with the Americanization in the island.

I cannot tell you bout by how much it would increase i am not an accountant. but i can tell you based on the large interest the anglophone world has shown in the past for zouk, a good zouk song sung in english could easily buss....that last part you typed dont make any sense btw....cus historically the lusophone music from brazil and africa and what not has always been closer to tied to afro french and afro spanish music music in terms of rhythm and vibe than calypso or reggae...so of course zouk would be like 2nd nature to them
    Last edited by Daddy V.; 10-13-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    dancehall is global from jamaica to japan and is even bigger in europe. anywhere in the world you can find jamaicans therefore anywhere you can find dancehall and reggae music...u said it yourself u were in chicago, it dont matter where those people were from but the bottom line is you were in chicago and people there knew about dancehall...and u can say whatever you want but thats bullshit bout only a couple people knew.. so many jamaicans and west indians live in chicago nowadays. EVERY major city in the u.s alone has a significant population of jamaicans/west indians and therefore the music spreads and is played there... i thought everybody knows this. Chicago Carifete... 35 NATIONS: 32 Islands... 3 countries... 1 LOVE!!!

as for jamaican patois being so different from english, well as i said thats your opinion. to me real rednecks who dont live around a really diverse group of people can still understand most patois...linguists say jamaican patois only have 5-10% non english words, and even then i would have think that has decreased with the Americanization in the island.

I cannot tell you bout by how much it would increase i am not an accountant. but i can tell you based on the large interest the anglophone world has shown in the past for zouk, a good zouk song sung in english could easily buss....that last part you typed dont make any sense btw....cus historically the lusophone music from brazil and africa and what not has always been closer to tied to afro french and afro spanish music music in terms of rhythm and vibe than calypso or reggae...so of course zouk would be like 2nd nature to them

SMH I don't know whats sadder...that you type sh!t or that you actually believe it. How much have you REALLY travelled the world to say ANY of the sh!t you're saying? I'm telling you off of experience living in the US (not the VI) that most Americans ain studying dancehall and most Americans can't understand patois for shit. My dialect isn't nearly as thick as most Jamaicans and people still struggle to understand me sometimes, never mind you playing a slang-ridden track in Patois by Kartel or Munga or even Beenie Man. Patois is English-based but it's essentially a different language because of pronunciation, differences in grammar and differences in vocabulary. No linguist in the world would argue that Patois and English are inter-comprehensible, so IDK what lie yuh tellin bout White Americans understanding patois.

When last was there a string of consistent Dancehall hits in the US charts? Most cities don't even have a significant Caribbean radio programme so how the fxck you talking bout dancehall being big? It has fans everywhere, yes, but for the most part it is not in the mainstream and most of its fans are people from the Caribbean or of Caribbean descent.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post

SMH I don't know whats sadder...that you type sh!t or that you actually believe it. How much have you REALLY travelled the world to say ANY of the sh!t you're saying? I'm telling you off of experience living in the US (not the VI) that most Americans ain studying dancehall and most Americans can't understand patois for shit. My dialect isn't nearly as thick as most Jamaicans and people still struggle to understand me sometimes, never mind you playing a slang-ridden track in Patois by Kartel or Munga or even Beenie Man. Patois is English-based but it's essentially a different language because of pronunciation, differences in grammar and differences in vocabulary. No linguist in the world would argue that Patois and English are inter-comprehensible, so IDK what lie yuh tellin bout White Americans understanding patois.

When last was there a string of consistent Dancehall hits in the US charts? Most cities don't even have a significant Caribbean radio programme so how the fxck you talking bout dancehall being big? It has fans everywhere, yes, but for the most part it is not in the mainstream and most of its fans are people from the Caribbean or of Caribbean descent.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    damn y'all going in on this.. The song still boss though

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123