Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Creole MuZik Trivia---La

Credits

Talking Creole MuZik Trivia---La

Ever notice ppl always put la at the back of something to pass it off as creole?

ok ok

Let's have a lil fun shall we?

This an EZ one let's see who can get this 1st.

What is Brazilian Zouk and does it have any links with French Caribbean Zouk?
    With your answer post up a video or insight about Brazilian Zouk.
    Last edited by Maruka; 07-28-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Credits
    Trying make the Creole corner of Imix more alive instead of the occasional 1 comment about a new video every other week. Come on ppl let's make this live

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataka View Post
    Ever notice ppl always put la at the back of something to pass it off as creole?

ok ok

Let's have a lil fun shall we?

This an EZ one let's see who can get this 1st.

What is Brazilian Zouk and does it have any links with French Caribbean Zouk?
    With your answer post up a video or insight about Brazilian Zouk.
    kizomba** (typo: zikomba)

and it's from angola

Credits
    You must be talking about either Kizomba or Cabo Love. Both those are from Angola and Cape Verde.

This is a big tune! If any of you been to parties in Boston (where people of Cape Verde and Haiti party together) you'd know this tune run the place.

Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Good job guys

A lot of people don't know anything about this but most French West Indians do.

This week I was playing some Carimi extra loud like most days nothing out of the ordinary me playing zouk or cadence, and Brazilian neighbors were like oh we didn't know you were Brazilian.... .... Yeah like y'all invited this sound just like y'all invented the name Zouk lol had to educate them on something I thought most of them knew. Surprisingly they did not know anything about Angola n cape Verde starting the dance craze. they did know Kizomba Love though.. Still kinda nudge on how the Name Brazilian Zouk came about... I think the info must have slip pass dem or sumn at some point lol

I was lil surprised they knew Bouyon..Told me they like the New WCK song I was playing earlier that day. I even burn a Cd for them..

Large up the Cape Verde massive one time..

tikreyol I've only heard about such parties never been to one. Next time I go Boston Imma have a look see
    Last edited by Maruka; 07-30-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Credits

Next one

Is Dezil' an artist band or both?

List some videos

Credits
    Good job guys

A lot of people don't know anything about this but most French West Indians do.

This week I was playing some Carimi extra loud like most days nothing out of the ordinary me playing zouk or cadence, and Brazilian neighbors were like oh we didn't know you were Brazilian.... .... Yeah like y'all invited this sound just like y'all invented the name Zouk lol had to educate them on something I thought most of them knew. Surprisingly they did not know anything about Angola n cape Verde starting the dance craze. they did know Kizomba Love though.. Still kinda nudge on how the Name Brazilian Zouk came about... I think the info must have slip pass dem or sumn at some point lol

I was lil surprised they knew Bouyon..Told me they like the New WCK song I was playing earlier that day. I even burn a Cd for them..

Large up the Cape Verde massive one time..

tikreyol I've only heard about such parties never been to one. Next time I go Boston Imma have a look see
    That's because it's mostly a dance thing. Most have no clue of the Konpa direct-->Cadence-Lypso---->Zouk----->Cabo Love--->Kizomba history. They even dance "Zouk" on their version of dancing witht he stars.

them dancing to Perle Lama

listen how the background singers try to sing en Kreyol
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    Is Dezil' an artist band or both?

List some videos
    Were they known in Dominica? My younger cousins in Haiti used to enjoy them. Didn't they kind of disappear?

Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    The Brasillian fascination with Afro Caribbean creole music goes back before the creation of Angolan kizomba. Remember, Guyane is right above Brasil and the music from the Cayanne radio stations influenced the development of lambada years ago. Below are some cadence songs from decades ago that were released in Brasil on lambada compilations. An African Dj friend showed me several of the LPs, but I didn't feel like going through the trouble of digitizing them. However, I did find a few of the 10 or more volumes on the web as downloads. The Colombians are into cadence/kompa/zouk also. Usually, its just english speaking people who are the most narrow minded.

Last edited by Seawall; 07-30-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    Some more lambada vids. you can see the link between the genre and cadence.

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    Were they known in Dominica? My younger cousins in Haiti used to enjoy them. Didn't they kind of disappear?

Heard them a few times back in Da but they not widly known..Just a few people bumped some of their songs now and then. Yeh I was wondering where they went.

Seawall;4043400]The Brasillian fascination with Afro Caribbean creole music goes back before the creation of Angolan kizomba. Remember, Guyane is right above Brasil and the music from the Cayanne radio stations influenced the development of lambada years ago. Below are some cadence songs from decades ago that were released in Brasil on lambada compilations. An African Dj friend showed me several of the LPs, but I didn't feel like going through the trouble of digitizing them. However, I did find a few of the 10 or more volumes on the web as downloads. The Colombians are into cadence/kompa/zouk also. Usually, its just english speaking people who are the most narrow minded.
    Who are these English speaking narrow minded people you speak of?

The Brazilian neighbors I have don't know about the french west indies. This is what I'm saying..It seems some of them grew up on the stuff but somehow the info and background behind it must have slip past them. Me playing zouk automatically linked me to being Brazilian was kinda silly. Never mentioned I did not know they played it or knew about the music obviously I do know they dance to it. The trivia ting is just to talk about creole music I wasn't shocked that Brazilians play zouk Just trying have some convos in here that's all bossman.
    I know Colombians and Panamanians rock Cadence and Zouk.. Actually got family in Panama like some West Indians do. Panama ppl come to the World Creole fest in Dominica and all that so yah. Thanks for the video contribution and info though. Now the reason i was a lil surprised the knew about WCK is that fact many West Indians living right next door to Dominica don't even know about Bouyon Music. So it was a lil surprising these neighbors knew them. Most parties in Brooklyn The spanish and or Portuguese people sit down when soca comes on a few get up for dancehall all get up for slasa or REGGAETON music. Same goes for Zouk ..So yah again it was a lil surprising they knew Bouyon music when many West Indians who live in the West Indies don't.
    Last edited by Maruka; 07-30-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    Some more lambada vids. you can see the link between the genre and cadence.

Heard some of the ones you posted back on the island. I Like the last one

Credits
    Heard them a few times back in Da but they not widly known..Just a few people bumped some of their songs now and then. Yeh I was wondering where they went.

Seawall;4043400]The Brasillian fascination with Afro Caribbean creole music goes back before the creation of Angolan kizomba. Remember, Guyane is right above Brasil and the music from the Cayanne radio stations influenced the development of lambada years ago. Below are some cadence songs from decades ago that were released in Brasil on lambada compilations. An African Dj friend showed me several of the LPs, but I didn't feel like going through the trouble of digitizing them. However, I did find a few of the 10 or more volumes on the web as downloads. The Colombians are into cadence/kompa/zouk also. Usually, its just english speaking people who are the most narrow minded.
    Who are these English speaking narrow minded people you speak of?

The Brazilian neighbors I have don't know about the french west indies. This is what I'm saying..It seems some of them grew up on the stuff but somehow the info and background behind it must have slip past them. Me playing zouk automatically linked me to being Brazilian was kinda silly. Never mentioned I did not know they played it or knew about the music obviously I do know they dance to it. The trivia ting is just to talk about creole music I wasn't shocked that Brazilians play zouk Just trying have some convos in here that's all bossman.
    I know Colombians and Panamanians rock Cadence and Zouk.. Actually got family in Panama like some West Indians do. Panama ppl come to the World Creole fest in Dominica and all that so yah. Thanks for the video contribution and info though. Now the reason i was a lil surprised the knew about WCK is that fact many West Indians living right next door to Dominica don't even know about Bouyon Music. So it was a lil surprising these neighbors knew them. Most parties in Brooklyn The spanish and or Portuguese people sit down when soca comes on a few get up for dancehall all get up for slasa or REGGAETON music. Same goes for Zouk ..So yah again it was a lil surprising they knew Bouyon music when many West Indians who live in the West Indies don't.
    The north eastern part of Brasil (Bahia and other areas) were able to pick up the radio signals from Cayanne. I didn't mean to imply that all Brasillians were into creole music.

Credits

Banda Calypso

They play some creole like music alot. I know a few songs. They are highly ranked zouk and Lambada..

Most People growing up on West Indian zouk will not think this is zouk though but yah

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    The north eastern part of Brasil (Bahia and other areas) were able to pick up the radio signals from Cayanne. I didn't mean to imply that all Brasillians were into creole music.
    Yeh it's kinda cool some of them know about the lil islands and their music. Their knowledge of some of our (Cribbean ppl) music better than most West Indians. Some Djs boast about their music history and when asked ok kool play this and that they have no idea.. its a shame man. There is this one song from Martinique or Guadalupe I forgot which one but every time they play that song on any West Indian station they always and I mean ALWAYS shout out Haiti and not the original nation where the song they playing came from lol. I trying remember it's name i'll post a link. But every time that song get spin Gwada nah get hype only Haiti just cause it's a creole song .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast