View Poll Results: which country you rate the most?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • haiti

5 50.00%
  • dominica

1 10.00%
  • st lucia

2 20.00%
  • guadeloupe

1 10.00%
  • martinique

0 0%
  • guyane

0 0%
  • other

1 10.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Country Has Made The Greatest Impact?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    i want you all to look very carefully at the flags that tabou combo placed in there album cover.....what does that say?

Those flags have to do with where they've toured and where their music has enjoyed popularity.

But I'd love to hear your 'interpretation' of it.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    simply all those countries are relevant in the french caribbean music scene in some way

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataka View Post
    As I was stressing out in the cadence-lypso thread.. The musicians know the deal the fans that only grew up on one sound don't know jack...Hear it from the artist him self cadencelypso made a movement that can't be looked over.. Cadence made that shift for zouk and other genres to take place. There are so many other interviews over the radio that they the Haitians artists and bands state their love and importance of dominica music to Haitian and creole music community. Take that and smoke it to the guy who was dissing the pioneers in the other thread..
    LOL..u can make up whatever u want..as long as it makes u sleep easier at night..I'm not gonna judge u..anyone who read that thread knows the deal...fall back...the only thing u were stressing was your heart rate...

For the MILLIONTH TIME(lol)..from day 1..I have done nothing but gave praise to bands like Grammacks for their role in french creole caribbean music..I never denied their influence...

What I QUESTIONED...was the story of that influence...there's a BIG difference between playing an important role...and claiming revolution or saying that kompa/zouk are offshoots of cadence-lypso...or that kompa had little influence on laying the foundations of zouk(lol)...one would think u guys launched the mini jazz era...which is what set the true foundation of today's french kreyol carribean music...

The true source of the problem is your ear ...not mines...anyone wit a decent musical ear can easily hear the differences between kadans(kreyol) and calypso(kokonot)...u would have ppl believe that zouk was a "baby" of those Maestro tracks you posted up...to prove how calypso was indeed the game changer..for konpa to be where it is at...LOL

The only kadans-lypso bands that matter in this discussion are exile one, grammacks, and midnight groovers...DA's kadans pioneers...despite the name of the genre...u can pretend all u want...that those three bands music were 50% kadans, 50% calypso, or "some brand NEW concoction"...the fact is...it was mainly the same kadans from haiti...just improvised...

You and others like you have most likely never listened to a full album from haitian bands before DA entered the scene...so you know nothing of the music from les gypsies, les difficiles, shleu shleu, les loup noir, les fantaistes, bossa combo, magnum band, tabou..or the music from guadaloupean kadans bands before DA entered the scene...your knowledge of konpa is most likely limited to the 80's and beyond...so when you hear kadans-lypso...then u go back to konpa/zouk...u give more credit to DA laying the foundations due simply to ignorance...

That is why ppl like you think konpa before DA entered the scene sounded like cuban music or as u said afro-spanish music...before your ppl put the kreyol in it...

In case you didn't know...musicians giving accolades to one another on stage is nothing new...it is simply an experience of cultural exchange..and showing humility/civility when present on world stage...it doesn't mean differences in perspectives regarding the evolution of their music don't exist...

Musicians since day 1 have been arguing about the extent of influences each other had...whether one influence was downplayed or another exxagerated...it's been like that in ALL music genres..it certainly won't changed for konpa/french creole caribbean music....

HENCE, why those same musicians that u spoke about giving praise to DA in interviews...are the same musicians who gave their PERSPECTIVE on the evolution of french creole caribbean music in this book.....

Zouk: world music in the West Indies - Jocelyne Guilbault - Google Books

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ushawishi View Post
    Is not ancient history we talking about the musicians are alive and most of them are good for a conversation.

Stop downplay what dem man saying about their own thing.Doh wait for time to catch up then say discussions were never taking place when they were alive.
    Are these the same musicians that were conversing in this book???

Credits
    but even when the facts are presented people still remain ignorant
    I agree, especially when the facts CLEARLY present there is no market for zouk in the anglophone carribean...or ppl remaining ignorant to the fact that kizomba/zouk love are the same EXACT thing.

Credits

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ayisyen View Post
    LOL..u can make up whatever u want..as long as it makes u sleep easier at night..I'm not gonna judge u..anyone who read that thread knows the deal...fall back...the only thing u were stressing was your heart rate...

For the MILLIONTH TIME(lol)..from day 1..I have done nothing but gave praise to bands like Grammacks for their role in french creole caribbean music..I never denied their influence...
    If you think i stressing on this u an arse

I don't take nun on imix serious boss who de Cyap fit let dem wear it.

Another ting .. The maestro tracks i embeded were only to give you a sonus on the rythem of calypso. BUT your head so far up your arse you look way beyond this. I wanted you to hear the correlation of Clypso swing with cadence but gosh man you refuse to even pause your one sided mind. I used songs that were popular and anyone can ID as calypso.. I even gave you one calypso song that was dubed soca that really sounded like cadence with a calypso swing.. Then took the same song that was performed by a cadencelypso band..No big diff cause it is Cadencelypso.. I never said we started mini jazz you on some real dotish one sided bull shit.. I acknowledge Cadence-rampa is a foundation so how da hall can i claim we started mini jazz? Large up to you in the same breath.. cause you have an extended knowledge on your country side of the music and I respect that..but with all respect yuh aint know shit about some of the outer musical influences.

AS I STATED:

Cadence-Lypso shares aspects of Cadence-Rampa But the Calypso made the distinctive drive.. CALYPSO IS THE GAME CHANGER YOU DOSH. You can't even tell the difference of Calypso to Soca..How da hell can you say I don't have an ear? you a TRIP!!!

You obviously have the ear problem since you NEVER ADDRESSED THE CALYPSO present in the genre..You your self claim you don't listen to or know how a typical calypso riddim goes...I played some examples for yuh you never bothered with the thread. The artist them know the deal you don't that's fine. That case close. People like You don't see it as innovation many many others do. Just as I had an open mind in the last threat and was having an open debate you stuck on your one sided bull crap...What you can't answer you refuse to acknowledged..asking me the same questions other answered for you .. You don't think D/a bands made anything ground breaking nor created a distinctive genre..Many ppl think otherwise.. even ppl who don't listen to french west indian music can hear the differences in cadence-lypso but you and a few others who were never exposed to other afro Caribbean music and riddims including calypso... You don't know shit saying I don't have an ear .. You can't rewrite history gum flapper TALK DUN!
    Last edited by Maruka; 11-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Credits
    I agree, especially when the facts CLEARLY present there is no market for zouk in the anglophone carribean...or ppl remaining ignorant to the fact that kizomba/zouk love are the same EXACT thing.
    woooy gadon edikasyon. They'll never learn.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Anyways answering the thread question.. No doubt Haiti has the greatest impact.

To the other thread it was already answered buh sum pp juss one sided.

What about the Rastafari and Black Power movements that was introduced in cadence at some point. Did that bring anything to the table?

Credits
    you listen to zouk? what la nguage are you speaking right now, and who said it was onlxy for the anglophone caribbean? i said the anglophone world, learn how to read

Credits
    you listen to zouk? what la nguage are you speaking right now, and who said it was onlxy for the anglophone caribbean? i said the anglophone world, learn how to read
    You would have done better to say anglophone caribbean tbh...there is even LESS of a market for zouk in the anglophone world lol
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    You would have done better to say anglophone caribbean tbh...there is even LESS of a market for zouk in the anglophone world lol
    is the anglophones caribbean not apart of the anglophone world, and vice versa?

Credits
    Are these the same musicians that were conversing in this book???

I have never read that book, You mind giving couple quotes from different musicians relating to this topic?

Please do not tie your argument with the rest of the guys with our discussion.I only seeking knowledge.

Dunno if it will help our rapport but I too think haiti had the greatest impact...
    I also think we might agree that Dominica has the biggest stage currently.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123