Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cadence Lypso and Kompa

Credits

Cadence Lypso and Kompa

Funny how the line is very thin

Ayisyen likes this.

Credits
    Which one of those tracks above is meant to be Cadence-lypso?
    I believe the first one is clearly regarded as a Kompa.

Does anyone know the year the 2nd song was recorded & released and also if the artist is from Dominica or Haiti?

If either song was recorded before 1974 then it can't be a Cadence-lypso because 1974 was the year that Exile One did their first recording promoting the "Cadence-lypso" concept and Cadence-lypso music was clearly still in its infancy at that point based upon the early Exile One recordings that I have heard.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Which one of those tracks above is meant to be Cadence-lypso?
    I believe the first one is clearly regarded as a Kompa.

Does anyone know the year the 2nd song was recorded & released and also if the artist is from Dominica or Haiti?

If either song was recorded before 1974 then it can't be a Cadence-lypso because 1974 was the year that Exile One did their first recording promoting the "Cadence-lypso" concept and Cadence-lypso music was clearly still in its infancy at that point based upon the early Exile One recordings that I have heard.
    The second video is the original version, recorded by Black Affairs Ca ou di mouin ou fè

The first video is a cover made by Toto Necessite!

My point is add a little bit of guitar and basically It would be very hard to tell wether its Kompa or Cadence

Credits
    they will be close cus they are both french creole music. but im glad that some haitians and certain members can see that dominicans influenced their music also, and it wasnt as 1 sided as some claim.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T.BaZ View Post
    The second video is the original version, recorded by Black Affairs Ca ou di mouin ou fè

The first video is a cover made by Toto Necessite!

My point is add a little bit of guitar and basically It would be very hard to tell wether its Kompa or Cadence
    Do you know what year each song came out?

I believe that Haitian musicians were also influenced by Calypso as can be clearly seen in this thread that Seawall created (Calypo Influenced French Antillean oldies) and not just the Dominicans so when the Dominicans copied Haitian Kompa music and put their own twist by basically doing what the Haitians were already doing but infusing it with more guitars and harder horns as found in Trinidad Calypso they were not doing anything that was so revolutionary.
    I believe the eureka moment for Dominicans in realising the potential of their own distinctive Cadence-lypso music genre was when Gordon Henderson heard the final Trinidadian production of this track by Lord Shorty.

Lord Shorty - E Pete (Recorded late 1975 & released early 1976)

Produced & arranged by Lord Shorty, Ed Watson & Earl Rodney at KH Recording Studio, Trinidad 1975.

This track was referred to by Gordon Henderson in his book "Zouk Land" as a revolutionary new fusion of Calypso, Cadence & Patios and was recorded long after Lord Shorty had launched out with his fully developed Soca formula with "Endless Vibrations" which came as a result of his many musical experiments between 1971 and 1974 fusing American funk/soul and East Indian rhythms with Calypso.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    ahh yes i remember this song. T-Vice had used it as well.

Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Do you know what year each song came out?

I believe that Haitian musicians were also influenced by Calypso as can be clearly seen in this thread that Seawall created (Calypo Influenced French Antillean oldies) and not just the Dominicans so when the Dominicans copied Haitian Kompa music and put their own twist by basically doing what the Haitians were already doing but infusing it with more guitars and harder horns as found in Trinidad Calypso they were not doing anything that was so revolutionary.
    I believe the eureka moment for Dominicans in realising the potential of their own distinctive Cadence-lypso music genre was when Gordon Henderson heard the final Trinidadian production of this track by Lord Shorty.

Lord Shorty - E Pete (Recorded late 1975 & released early 1976)

Produced & arranged by Lord Shorty, Ed Watson & Earl Rodney at KH Recording Studio, Trinidad 1975.

This track was referred to by Gordon Henderson in his book "Zouk Land" as a revolutionary new fusion of Calypso, Cadence & Patios and was recorded long after Lord Shorty had launched out with his fully developed Soca formula with "Endless Vibrations" which came as a result of his many musical experiments between 1971 and 1974 fusing American funk/soul and East Indian rhythms with Calypso.
    That thread is about the Calypso influence in the French Antilles NOT Haiti.
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    That thread is about the Calypso influence in the French Antilles NOT Haiti.
    Okay cool but Kompa was compared with Cadence-lypso in the title of this thread followed by this comment "Funny how the line is very thin" so to me that means we are comparing the music of the French Antilles with the music of Haiti in this thread.
    Is this your way of trying to avoid the valid points I raised?
    Are you trying to say that Haitian musicians did not play and were not influenced by Calypso during the Golden Era of Calypso in the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's?

My point was that Kompa already had elements of Calypso when it was developed and that the Dominicans simply added stronger Calypso elements hence why early Cadence-lypso and Kompa sounds almost identical.

The Mighty Sparrow was pointing out historical facts about the development of the various Caribbean music genres in this interview.

Mighty Sparrow - Calypso as Mother music

Go to 4:50 to hear exactly what Sparrow had to say
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Okay cool but Kompa was compared with Cadence-lypso in the title of this thread followed by this comment "Funny how the line is very thin" so to me that means we are comparing the music of the French Antilles with the music of Haiti in this thread.
    Is this your way of trying to avoid the valid points I raised?
    Are you trying to say that Haitian musicians did not play and were not influenced by Calypso during the Golden Era of Calypso in the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's?

My point was that Kompa already had elements of Calypso when it was developed and that the Dominicans simply added stronger Calypso elements hence why early Cadence-lypso and Kompa sounds almost identical.

The Mighty Sparrow was pointing out historical facts about the development of the various Caribbean music genres in this interview.

Mighty Sparrow - Calypso as Mother music

Go to 4:50 to hear exactly what Sparrow had to say
    I knew there was an ulterior motive to your presence. At least you have finally owned up to the real reason you have been lurking in the Konpa/Zouk section. After validation podyab! Of course we’d be comparing music of the French Antilles with Haiti. It is Haitian music that had the largest influence. And what were those valid points that you have raised because maybe I’ve missed them? Where is your evidence that Nemours Jean Baptiste was influenced by Calypso when he developed the Haitian Méringue into Konpa Direk? Calypso wasn't dominating the airwaves in Haiti, Cuban and Dominican music was SMH

You and that damn video. You talk about VP but you are just as bad with this video. It serves as proof for nothing
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    I knew there was an ulterior motive to your presence. At least you have finally owned up to the real reason you have been lurking in the Konpa/Zouk section. After validation podyab! Of course we’d be comparing music of the French Antilles with Haiti. It is Haitian music that had the largest influence. And what were those valid points that you have raised because maybe I’ve missed them? Where is your evidence that Nemours Jean Baptiste was influenced by Calypso when he developed the Haitian Méringue into Konpa Direk? Calypso wasn't dominating the airwaves in Haiti, Cuban and Dominican music was SMH

You and that damn video. You talk about VP but you are just as bad with this video. It serves as proof for nothing
    Let's see, who should I listen to regards Calypso's influence on the development of other Caribbean music genres during the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's? Someone like the great Mighty Sparrow who was alive during that period, listening to and singing music from all over the world and who toured the Caribbean and the world and would have seen and heard the music evolution first hand for himself or someone like you who I don't know from Adam and who possibly never sang any of the Caribbean music genres professionally in their life? Hummh... difficult choice!!
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Conscious influence? I don't know but after all, we are all part of a great family.

It reminds me Coupé Cloué, he was playing a type of Kompa called, Kompa Manba.In his youth, he never heard any type of African music...

When he landed to Africa to perform the first time, he was surprised to see that the locals were playing music that was essentially the same than his!

Soukouss was a bit faster but Coupe's music was sounded almost the same.
    Socapro likes this.

Credits
    everything is about trinidad for this man
    tikreyol likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappo View Post
    everything is about trinidad for this man
    No everything is about getting to the facts about various musical influences on various Caribbean music genres as they evolved and accurately giving credit where it is due and putting aside blind patriotism in the process.

I could easily argue that everything is about Dominica for you but that does not bother me much.
    What bothers me is when folks like you are prepared to make up stuff that cannot be backed by any chronological music recordings while trying to dismiss music influences and recordings in other islands because you were not that familiar with them.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    No everything is about getting to the facts about various musical influences on various Caribbean music genres as they evolved and accurately giving credit where it is due and putting aside blind patriotism in the process.

I could easily argue that everything is about Dominica for you but that does not bother me much.
    What bothers me is when folks like you are prepared to make up stuff that cannot be backed by any chronological music recordings while trying to dismiss music influences and recordings in other islands because you were not that familiar with them.
    You are the only fool in here making stuff up.You come in here with no facts at all but some stale video claiming Calypso to be a contributing factor to Konpa music when you yourself has admitted to not knowing the story behind Konpa, Zouk or Cadence-lypso.

BTW we are still patiently waiting on your evidence or recordings from Nemours Jean Baptiste or Sicot.
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    You are the only fool in here making stuff up.You come in here with no facts at all but some stale video claiming Calypso to be a contributing factor to Konpa music when you yourself has admitted to not knowing the story behind Konpa, Zouk or Cadence-lypso.

BTW we are still patiently waiting on your evidence or recordings from Nemours Jean Baptiste or Sicot.
    I know the story behind cadence-lypso and zouk better than most.
    Regards Kompa I am gaining more facts and knowledge which is why I came here in the first place and why I have been asking some critical questions most of which you have ignored and failed to answer; like what year those two tracks that were posted in the 1st post of this thread came out and which one is supposed to be Cadance-lypso for example. They both sound more like Kompa to my novice ears so if I got it correct then my knowledge of Kompa is probably now better than most.

You see the problem with you folks is that you love to pigeon-hole others because of your insecurities and don't accept that just like you have gained knowledge on a subject over the years others can also gain that knowledge and sometimes much faster than you did because of their interest and keenness to learn.

I have no reason to doubt what the Mighty Sparrow said as it is totally logical and only blind patriotism will have you deny that Calypso had an Influence on Haitian musicians. It may not have been as strong an influence as in other parts of the Caribbean but the influence definitely was there which is the reason why early Cadence-lypso sounds very close to Kompa, totally logical.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast