Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brenda Berrian on Music and Culture in the French Caribbean- PART 2

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Influence View Post
    who was/is the target audience of this piece?
    It was posted on the AfroPopWorldwide site, which is hosted by NPR, so the target audience would be Americans.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Poca
    why does it matter? If you are spreading knowledge about something, just be truthful no matter your audience.

who was/is the target audience of this piece?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    why does it matter? If you are spreading knowledge about something, just be truthful no matter your audience.
    What wasn't truthful?

I asked because I have read other literature from the same person with another delivery as seawall pointed out later in this thread.

Credits
    What wasn't truthful?

I asked because I have read other literature from the same person with another delivery as seawall pointed out later in this thread.
    Go back to page 1 and read.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    Go back to page 1 and read.
    You could make it easier if you wish to have a discussion... what are the lies?

Credits
    not really lies but more like neglect...similar to when st lucians and others speak about their musical influences, mentioning trinidad soca music, zouk, jamaican reggae, and doh say 1 ting bout dominica; when it clearly has bouyon influence. so i get what de haitians are sayen, all those influenced them yes, but dey jus left out 1 very important influence, its not nice when u put effort into something, someone comes along and took what u started and they dont credit you for it.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.BOOMBASTIC View Post
    not really lies but more like neglect...similar to when st lucians and others speak about their musical influences, mentioning trinidad soca music, zouk, jamaican reggae, and doh say 1 ting bout dominica; when it clearly has bouyon influence. so i get what de haitians are sayen, all those influenced them yes, but dey jus left out 1 very important influence, its not nice when u put effort into something, someone comes along and took what u started and they dont credit you for it.
    Thats a different agrument totally it was based on that I asked what was the target audience when he told me I understood perfectly why she went this road for blog he pasted.

Credits
    Thats a different agrument totally it was based on that I asked what was the target audience when he told me I understood perfectly why she went this road for blog he pasted.
    soooo what does de audience have to do wit them neglectin haitian influence?

Poca
    I asked the same thing too.

Credits
    The interview isn't about what laid the foundations for zouk (Haitian cadence rampa/compas & Dominican cadence-lypso) but about the French Antillean imput, namely, the gwo ka and bele. Will continue....
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Poca
    Sure!

The other decision was because they wanted to have the latest technical support; because mixing zouk is not easy, having sat in those studios I can tell you, it’s not easy trying to figure out how to fuse all those different musical genres into the sound called zouk. Because zouk is a mixture of African music, Caribbean music, American music, Jamaican music, Brazilian music, and they blend it all to make this sound called zouk, which is very pulsating music, very loud.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    Sure!

The other decision was because they wanted to have the latest technical support; because mixing zouk is not easy, having sat in those studios I can tell you, it’s not easy trying to figure out how to fuse all those different musical genres into the sound called zouk. Because zouk is a mixture of African music, Caribbean music, American music, Jamaican music, Brazilian music, and they blend it all to make this sound called zouk, which is very pulsating music, very loud.
    Only one type of music all them other countries have?

My only grip with that statement is she set jamica aside from the rest of the caribbean and for that the guilty verdict is vast throughout many aspects where caribbean is mentioned there is jamaica then there is the rest of the caribbean.

Credits
    How did I miss this?

Yeah they guilty for setting aside Jamaican music from Caribbean music when mentioning what types of music was needed to create zouk. That Jamaican part was a bit much. Why put aside the two most clearly distinctive genres from Haiti and Dominica? They placed them in Caribbean music and pulled Jamaica aside as something special. I understand that part much. But as Seawall was saying they were not focused on the creation but more on structure of lyrics and sound. So it would be understandable how they the author presented this on lyrics and structure of the band. So the article would be on just that.. However they are guilty for setting aside Jamaica music. Should have just left it as Caribbean music.

Good read. They need to create a good documentary DVD..Any suggestions out there?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataka View Post
    How did I miss this?

Yeah they guilty for setting aside Jamaican music from Caribbean music when mentioning what types of music was needed to create zouk. That Jamaican part was a bit much. Why put aside the two most clearly distinctive genres from Haiti and Dominica? They placed them in Caribbean music and pulled Jamaica aside as something special. I understand that part much. But as Seawall was saying they were not focused on the creation but more on structure of lyrics and sound. So it would be understandable how they the author presented this on lyrics and structure of the band. So the article would be on just that.. However they are guilty for setting aside Jamaica music. Should have just left it as Caribbean music.

Good read. They need to create a good documentary DVD..Any suggestions out there?
    Kassav has one and so does a few of the Konpa bands. There needs to be one that bridges everything together though.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12