Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: Anglophone ZOUK

  1. #46
    Registered User SKBai1991's Avatar SKBai1991 is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,780
    Credits
    11,324,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    straight outta the leeward islands

    i heard somebody say that only english lucians and domincans listen to zouk...
    You do know there are NUFF kreyol speaking people in the Leeward Islands right? It's not the native language in most places but there's been alot of upmigration from Dominica and St Lucia, as well as Haiti, so it isn't surprising.

    Considering that Spectrum Band comes from the V.I. and it have nuff Lucians, Haitians, Dominicans and Frenchies (people from St Maarten and St Barths) I'm not surprised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    the machel is sung in french and english and has heavy gwo ka, the ricky t is sung in english and is on a straight cadence-lypso beat, the party by the sea is sung in creole and english and on a straight kompas beat
    All by artists who either live in English speaking countries or immigrated there.
    Last edited by SKBai1991; 11-06-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "


    Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

  2. #47
    Banned Daddy V. is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    nuh watch dat
    Posts
    1,700
    Credits
    1,041,722
    you continue to prove me right again, you say urself there are nuff french people in those english islands, enough to make an impact on the countries for their bands to sing creole songs

  3. #48
    Registered User SKBai1991's Avatar SKBai1991 is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,780
    Credits
    11,324,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    you continue to prove me right again, you say urself there are nuff french people in those english islands, enough to make an impact on the countries for their bands to sing creole songs
    You don't get it...nuff ah dem probably of French Caribbean origin themselves (ESPECIALLY those bands you put up from the VI). They're just singing the music they probably grew up with for years.

    If I decide to put out a Kompa record right now it means nothing as to whether or not there is a market for it in St Kitts because I'm of Haitian descent on my mother's side already, and doing so I'm just following tradition. When entirely NEW people with no links to the French Caribbean whatsoever start to play Zouk music en masse and have standalone hits without featuring any Creole artists, THEN you can say you have a point.

    Hell, the fact that 90% of the people on this site were surprised I can speak creole and give a fxck about creole culture is proof enough that the market for Creole music in the English-speaking countries is very limited. It may be there, but it's tiny. Look who is even on this thread discussing this topic right now, everyone here except for Seawall is of Creole origin. So how yuh talkin so?
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "


    Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

  4. #49
    Qualified Mixologist Maruka is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn , Ny
    Posts
    6,602
    Credits
    1,732,914
    My uncle used to be part of flames crew when they were on tour back in the day.. They got their creole influence from the years they lived in Dominica. Like most other bands and artist that came n got influenced and made it big..I always wonder why no one ever questioned how this Antiguan band speaking n singing a french based creole and it doesn't totally reflect their island native tongue. Even the way they jamed has that feel because they used to practice n jam with a bunch of Dominican musicians..The creole that is in some point uniquely antiguan is the English based creole with words like pickney.. That's why some ppl think they sound jamaican.. But yah that tune is a classcik well malad.. pong de saucepan!
    Last edited by Maruka; 11-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.

  5. #50
    Banned Daddy V. is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    nuh watch dat
    Posts
    1,700
    Credits
    1,041,722





  6. #51
    Banned Daddy V. is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    nuh watch dat
    Posts
    1,700
    Credits
    1,041,722
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    You don't get it...nuff ah dem probably of French Caribbean origin themselves (ESPECIALLY those bands you put up from the VI). They're just singing the music they probably grew up with for years.

    If I decide to put out a Kompa record right now it means nothing as to whether or not there is a market for it in St Kitts because I'm of Haitian descent on my mother's side already, and doing so I'm just following tradition. When entirely NEW people with no links to the French Caribbean whatsoever start to play Zouk music en masse and have standalone hits without featuring any Creole artists, THEN you can say you have a point.

    Hell, the fact that 90% of the people on this site were surprised I can speak creole and give a fxck about creole culture is proof enough that the market for Creole music in the English-speaking countries is very limited. It may be there, but it's tiny. Look who is even on this thread discussing this topic right now, everyone here except for Seawall is of Creole origin. So how yuh talkin so?
    prove it....cus like bataka stated and its a known fact when burning flames came to dominica thats when they started the creole stuff, and you can ask the burning flames that themselves also.


  7. #52
    Registered User SKBai1991's Avatar SKBai1991 is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,780
    Credits
    11,324,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    prove it....cus like bataka stated and its a known fact when burning flames came to dominica thats when they started the creole stuff, and you can ask the burning flames that themselves also.


    Prove it? You ever been VI? U ever wonder why some ah dem say Gasso so much when they referring to foreigners? There's a MASSIVE amount of people who immigrated to the USVI and to St Maarten from Dominica and St Lucia in the 70's and 80's, even now probably 10% of the VI still speaks Creole, its even been studied academically. 3 of my 5 uncles who moved to the VI are married to women from Dominica. In fact, much of the reason why I know how to speak Creole is because I was around them and they was the ones who taught me the language. Leeward Islands full up of Creole people, so if anything the presence of any type of market for Zouk music could be attributed to them.

    St. Lucian Kwéyòl on St. Croix: How gender and education affect language choice and attitudes in a multilingual context | Érudit####| Arborescences n1 2011####|

    Burning Flames is one example but like Bataka said, they got their Creole influence from actually BEING in Dominica for an extended period of time, they weren't just sitting in Antigua and absorbing Creole vibes that way, it was part of the culture that they lived in.
    Last edited by SKBai1991; 11-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "


    Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

  8. #53
    Earth Angel dollbabi's Avatar dollbabi is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    36,627
    Credits
    74,804,093
    I personally prefer Zouk in Creole or French.

    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Prove it? You ever been VI? U ever wonder why some ah dem say Gasso so much when they referring to foreigners? There's a MASSIVE amount of people who immigrated to the USVI and to St Maarten from Dominica and St Lucia in the 70's and 80's, even now probably 10% of the VI still speaks Creole, its even been studied academically. 3 of my 5 uncles who moved to the VI are married to women from Dominica. In fact, much of the reason why I know how to speak Creole is because I was around them and they was the ones who taught me the language. Leeward Islands full up of Creole people, so if anything the presence of any type of market for Zouk music could be attributed to them.
    Truth...and I might even say that up to 20% of people here speak Creole. There are one set of Dominicans in the VI. The Lucians just had a festival the other day. There are also Haitians as well. I don't go one day without hearing Creole spoken here.

  9. #54
    Banned Daddy V. is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    nuh watch dat
    Posts
    1,700
    Credits
    1,041,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Vega View Post
    I personally prefer Zouk in Creole or French.



    Truth...and I might even say that up to 20% of people here speak Creole. There are one set of Dominicans in the VI. The Lucians just had a festival the other day. There are also Haitians as well. I don't go one day without hearing Creole spoken here.
    all this does is say there is a greater market for zouk in these regions than you think

  10. #55
    Qualified Mixologist Maruka is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn , Ny
    Posts
    6,602
    Credits
    1,732,914
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Prove it? You ever been VI? U ever wonder why some ah dem say Gasso so much when they referring to foreigners? There's a MASSIVE amount of people who immigrated to the USVI and to St Maarten from Dominica and St Lucia in the 70's and 80's, even now probably 10% of the VI still speaks Creole, its even been studied academically. 3 of my 5 uncles who moved to the VI are married to women from Dominica. In fact, much of the reason why I know how to speak Creole is because I was around them and they was the ones who taught me the language. Leeward Islands full up of Creole people, so if anything the presence of any type of market for Zouk music could be attributed to them.

    St. Lucian Kwéyòl on St. Croix: How gender and education affect language choice and attitudes in a multilingual context | Érudit####| Arborescences n1 2011####|

    Burning Flames is one example but like Bataka said, they got their Creole influence from actually BEING in Dominica for an extended period of time, they weren't just sitting in Antigua and absorbing Creole vibes that way, it was part of the culture that they lived in.
    dis ting here is absolutly true.. Nuff dominican and St.Lucians live there and mix the creole vibes down there. I remember my aunt telling us how ppl would call them gasso but it would be used as an insult to the creole speaking population. They would call them (Dominican and Lusicans) Gassos.

    The band DV posted with that creole song self that song have a set of creole words but some of it not making sense but even if it remain a classic tune in my book.

    I guess what DV was saying is that there is a population out there that always hearing the creole music but never could understand the words. so creating zouk love in English n all that would have an audience who always like the music but never officially connected because of the language.. I feel perilously the language (lang) is part of the song that makes it what it is. I can give a pass to a few English based songs but many have failed.

  11. #56
    Qualified Mixologist Maruka is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn , Ny
    Posts
    6,602
    Credits
    1,732,914
    I'm seeing more and more R&B and also pop tracks being remixed into zouk mixes..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •