Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anglophone ZOUK

Credits

Anglophone ZOUK

discuss.....

Credits
    1 of the biggest tracks for vincy mass....more zouk artist should start sing in english....opens de market

Credits
    dis is not zouk....its cadence....but u get the idea....which track you think make it bigger?

Last edited by Daddy V.; 10-10-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Credits
    None of the Anglophone Zouk tracks have come even remotely close to the Francophone and Creolephone tracks in terms of success. There is no economic or cultural incentive for Creole artists to start making Zouk music in English.

Nobody says that Salsa, Merengue and Reggaeton should feature more English, so why should we start singing anglophone Zouk? If English-speaking countries want to make Zouk in English that is their perogative, but don't expect the Creole-speaking nations to follow suit, its retarded.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    people from every country and genre of music sing in english, obviously the majorityof what they sing may not be english but they make the effort....i will let ya'll make an educated guess why.

Credits
    I'm surprised you didn't post this. Its probably the most successful Zouk song in English. I have to note that the singer is from Cape Verde not the West Indies.

Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

The greatest city in the world come 2012!!
    Credits
    Oh yes please! Zouk is oozes sex appeal whether it be Spanish, Portuguese (Kizomba), or French. I just hope that the English-singing ones refrain from cheesy/cliche lyrics.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymaca View Post
    Oh yes please! Zouk is oozes sex appeal whether it be Spanish, Portuguese (Kizomba), or French. I just hope that the English-singing ones refrain from cheesy/cliche lyrics.
    Unfortunately...they do lol.

IDK something just aint right when people talking about "swagger" in a Zouk song..makes me wanna vomit

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    people from every country and genre of music sing in english, obviously the majorityof what they sing may not be english but they make the effort....i will let ya'll make an educated guess why.
    Might it be because English is the "dominant language" lol

Dude, Nobody is saying English isn't the largest second language, but most people in the world (including most Zouk fans) do not speak English to any appreciable degree. Zouk artists already make a killing in the Francophone and Lusophone markets, so why would they risk alienating their own market to speak English?

Furthermore, what makes you think that Anglophone Zouk would do any better than Soca or Dancehall in the international market? Those artists generally struggle and they're ALREADY in English, so what really makes you think Zouk would do any better. You'd get a couple Kevin Lyttles yes, but on a greater scale Zouk probably wouldn't do much better.
    Last edited by SKBai1991; 10-10-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymaca View Post
    Trust me it sounds 10000x better in Creole. After that French than Cape Verdean Criolo. I don't know about Spanish. As for them singing in cheesy cliche lyrics that's what generally always happens. They're trying to sound hip and almost always comes across corny. It's not their native language. Kind of the way Shakira sounds better in Spanish than English.
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    Trust me it sounds 10000x better in Creole. After that French than Cape Verdean Criolo. I don't know about Spanish. As for them singing in cheesy cliche lyrics that's what generally always happens. They're trying to sound hip and almost always comes across corny. It's not their native language. Kind of the way Shakira sounds better in Spanish than English.
    Or like how kompa artists will try and throw in a nonsensical english word and it sounds ridiculous to english speaking people lol

Credits
    I'm surprised you didn't post this. Its probably the most successful Zouk song in English. I have to note that the singer is from Cape Verde not the West Indies.

well thats kizomba not zouk....but ye good post and most of his songs are in english....nuff of kaysha song in english also

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Unfortunately...they do lol.

IDK something just aint right when people talking about "swagger" in a Zouk song..makes me wanna vomit

Might it be because English is the "dominant language" lol

Dude, Nobody is saying English isn't the largest second language, but most people in the world (including most Zouk fans) do not speak English to any appreciable degree. Zouk artists already make a killing in the Francophone and Lusophone markets, so why would they risk alienating their own market to speak English?

Furthermore, what makes you think that Anglophone Zouk would do any better than Soca or Dancehall in the international market? Those artists generally struggle and they're ALREADY in English, so what really makes you think Zouk would do any better. You'd get a couple Kevin Lyttles yes, but on a greater scale Zouk probably wouldn't do much better.
    tell me how you're alienating your own market if they choose to sing in english? if anything they are making the zouk market bigger and more appealing, im not saying for them to stop singin in french or creole or whatever and switch to english, im just saying it would be nice and beneficial economical wise to sing in english....like i said a lot more anglo people listen to zouk than you think just for the beat alone...imagine if they could understand

Credits
    well thats kizomba not zouk....but ye good post and most of his songs are in english....nuff of kaysha song in english also
    As if there's any real difference. Don't believe the hype. The Cape Verdeans and Angolans themselves can't even tell you the difference. It's Zouk.
    Bwa m kale tou wouj

Credits
    As if there's any real difference. Don't believe the hype. The Cape Verdeans and Angolans themselves can't even tell you the difference. It's Zouk.
    i can tell the difference....jus listen closely you can tell kizomba uses less live instruments and more electronic and synths, listen to how simple the guitar is being played.....the man probably played that on the computer and looped that shit....listen to the lead guitar and bass in instrument variation in this zouk song for example ...

Credits
    tell me how you're alienating your own market if they choose to sing in english? if anything they are making the zouk market bigger and more appealing, im not saying for them to stop singin in french or creole or whatever and switch to english, im just saying it would be nice and beneficial economical wise to sing in english....like i said a lot more anglo people listen to zouk than you think just for the beat alone...imagine if they could understand
    And I'm asking you what makes you think that Zouk outside of the Caribbean market will fare any better than Soca or Dancehall has? English-Caribbean genres have followings internationally but they aint exactly superstars either, so what really makes you think that Zouk will be any different?

Anyway, if there was as big a Zouk following as you claim then there would already be a large number of Zouk artists from Anglophone countries. The Portuguese liked Zouk so they started producing and singing in their own language, same like how Spanish people who enjoyed dancehall invented reggaeton for their own market.

Cape Verde has a population of only 500 thousand and they've already released more Zouk/Kizomba music than the entire Anglophone world combined. If Zouk was big in the English speaking world then the same would have happened, yet it hasn't, so clearly the demand is nowhere near as great as you're making it out to be.

+1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast