Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Working Online

  1. #1
    Big Steupss trinithunda's Avatar trinithunda is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,179
    Credits
    2,690,118

    Working Online

    Does anyone currently or in the past work(ed) at home online? What was your experience like? What (in your opinion) are the pros and cons? What companies would you recommend?
    "Stop talking about it and BE about it"

  2. #2
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by trinithunda View Post
    Does anyone currently or in the past work(ed) at home online? What was your experience like? What (in your opinion) are the pros and cons? What companies would you recommend?
    Hey Miss thunda!

    Well I used to work from home providing technical support. I enjoyed it.

    Pros:
    1) Convenience of not having to deal with the hustle and bustle of the commute.

    2) Ability to utilize RDP (Remote desktop protocol) to connect to machines experiencing issues.


    Cons
    1) If the WAN (wide area network) or LAN (local area network) does not allow you to connect to the clients that pretty much kills your desire to do a honest days work.

    2) You won't be surrounded by your colleagues. Having this means you can get up from your desk in the office and walk over to them when you need certain kind of help or advice. Depending on the technology you have you might have to heavily rely on emailing and calling them to communicate if you need help. Depending on when you are able to reach them you won't get the help needed quickly.

    Recommendations: Dress in work attire (semi business). Work from a desk or table. Don't give in to distractions. All this will keep you focused on the work needed to be completed.
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  3. #3
    Big Steupss trinithunda's Avatar trinithunda is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,179
    Credits
    2,690,118
    TRINI!!!!! How you been girl???

    We'll see how this work from home thing goes.....
    "Stop talking about it and BE about it"

  4. #4
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by trinithunda View Post
    TRINI!!!!! How you been girl???

    We'll see how this work from home thing goes.....
    I have been busy but good thanks. You?

    So are you having second thoughts or you feel you are not prepared to do it (if you don't mind my asking)?
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  5. #5
    Big Steupss trinithunda's Avatar trinithunda is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,179
    Credits
    2,690,118
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    I have been busy but good thanks. You?

    So are you having second thoughts or you feel you are not prepared to do it (if you don't mind my asking)?
    No, I'm doing it! i just wanted some other peoples' advice/experiences to consider. Perhaps the diff companies that are out there. I cant do something that is too time consuming since i have doubled up on school time ( gotta take time off for the wedding) and i just want to graduate early so i can start my REAL job!
    "Stop talking about it and BE about it"

  6. #6
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by trinithunda View Post
    No, I'm doing it! i just wanted some other peoples' advice/experiences to consider. Perhaps the diff companies that are out there. I cant do something that is too time consuming since i have doubled up on school time ( gotta take time off for the wedding) and i just want to graduate early so i can start my REAL job!
    Good for you! If I can find something I can spend a few hours on I would do it on the weekend. I doh care to do any type of WFH involving pyramid schemes though for sure!

    I hope others respond in this thread.
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  7. #7
    Big Steupss trinithunda's Avatar trinithunda is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,179
    Credits
    2,690,118
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    Good for you! If I can find something I can spend a few hours on I would do it on the weekend. I doh care to do any type of WFH involving pyramid schemes though for sure!

    I hope others respond in this thread.
    me too.....gosh...they just peeping.
    "Stop talking about it and BE about it"

  8. #8
    Spranga
    Guest
    i would like to

  9. #9
    Gladiator
    Guest
    I remember 6 , 7 years ago people would say hell no to online careers because the general sentiment back then was the margin to achieve sucess was too slim and it was a big risk. But today most people will actually consider it...alot of people have done well with online careers..times have changed

  10. #10
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sufficient View Post
    I remember 6 , 7 years ago people would say hell no to online careers because the general sentiment back then was the margin to achieve sucess was too slim and it was a big risk. But today most people will actually consider it...alot of people have done well with online careers..times have changed
    Yeah and with a number of advances in technology one can do a lot from home.
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  11. #11
    Searching For Answers Hello BKLYN is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    17,132
    Credits
    51,682,678
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    Yeah and with a number of advances in technology one can do a lot from home.
    can someone provide info on companies looking for people to provid technical support and help desk from home? I have heard of people doing that as a part time gig from home and i am interested
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

    Carl G. Jung

  12. #12
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    can someone provide info on companies looking for people to provid technical support and help desk from home? I have heard of people doing that as a part time gig from home and i am interested
    Let me find out specific information from the two I know and I will let you know.

    Two of them allow you to work from home sometimes but usually it is in the office. But the VNC and remote office websites etc from these two companies will allow you to connect to the intranet and help the employees of the companies.
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  13. #13
    Temporary Suspension Nevergood's Avatar Nevergood is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    cloud 9
    Posts
    2,940
    Credits
    1,628,386
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    Let me find out specific information from the two I know and I will let you know.

    Two of them allow you to work from home sometimes but usually it is in the office. But the VNC and remote office websites etc from these two companies will allow you to connect to the intranet and help the employees of the companies.
    so what are the requirements for these jobs?

  14. #14
    Big Steupss trinithunda's Avatar trinithunda is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,179
    Credits
    2,690,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    can someone provide info on companies looking for people to provid technical support and help desk from home? I have heard of people doing that as a part time gig from home and i am interested
    You still looking to work from home?
    "Stop talking about it and BE about it"

  15. #15
    J
    Undercover J's Avatar J is offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    somewhere trying to give a f*ck
    Posts
    12,070
    Credits
    1,039,442
    Quote Originally Posted by trinithunda View Post
    You still looking to work from home?
    i would love to go back to working from home

    i did it for a while, actually loved it. only con for me was that i could be on the computer all the time, even at 3:00 in the morning.. and i always left my computer on, so from the time i heard the e-mail notification i was up and answering e-mails.

    if you know of any openings holla at me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •