Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for those in IT

T-MAKAA
    I'm doing that same program.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    I'm doing that same program.
    what are your feelings about the program? Is it really worth the investment, or do you feel like you could've hung around your IT friends showing you some new things?
    ya not pullin' my leg are ya?

T-MAKAA
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    what are your feelings about the program? Is it really worth the investment, or do you feel like you could've hung around your IT friends showing you some new things?
    ya not pullin' my leg are ya?

Not pulling your leg at all. It only looks good on paper..I really havent learned that much in school to be honest. Well I'll phrase it better I learned much more among other techs. IT Security classes that I took was really worth it.

To answer you, with that under ya belt plus certifications and experience you are ahead of most people. This is a program that teaches you from a managerial perspective.

Credits
    Not pulling your leg at all. It only looks good on paper..I really havent learned that much in school to be honest. Well I'll phrase it better I learned much more among other techs. IT Security classes that I took was really worth it.

To answer you, with that under ya belt plus certifications and experience you are ahead of most people. This is a program that teaches you from a managerial perspective.
    ooooooooh okay, good to hear...the way it was describe to me by my "advisor" was that it was good for those who didn't have the basic experience in the IT field (but should have thought managerial *duh*).

Spranga

This is true. you really don't learn much field work in school. You're better off sticking ur head in those books on ur own in addition to class...and volunteering/intern. As much hands on experience and reading as possible.

Credits
    It is agreed that industry standard focus on certification and experience. A masters degree is a step above the certification level. A masters degree put you in the driver seat in administration where you are not involved in getting your hands dirty but primarily with directing. If you want to be a director or C level management by all means go for your masters, however if you are interested in doing the work the certification is the way to go. Also if you going for the masters you will need to have some experience.

Credits
    For those who exist in non traditional tech industries, for example firms that their business is not software development or IT consulting such as finance, law, etc did you find it advantageous to develop skills outside of your sphere of influence, a situation could be if you worked at an insurance firm did some underwriting course.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    For those who exist in non traditional tech industries, for example firms that their business is not software development or IT consulting such as finance, law, etc did you find it advantageous to develop skills outside of your sphere of influence, a situation could be if you worked at an insurance firm did some underwriting course.
    Well, when I was in human resources, I did take a few classes/HR training. While I did not go through everything, it did help me get a better view of the business. It helped me create better software for them because of it.

Credits
    yeah i find dis is what i do a lot. I used to work for Singer as their M.I.S rep and most times when i had free time i used to find myself on the floor talking to customers and trying to understand what they were looking. I had a real hard headed boss though suh making suggestions to him jus fell on deaf ears. When i used to unlock phones, yeah i guess in a way the different departments makes u want to at least understand whassup.
    joie de vivre

carpe diem

I can tell you a story bout my dyck but
    it would be way too long

Credits
    Right now the gap has been bridged in the IT World. I remember looking for jobs and seeing hospitals looking for IT personel with experience in SQL and Crytsal reports and reading further down the requirements the candidtate had to be an RN. To me I really did not see how the two relate to each other but roles are expanding and it is worth it to get all the experience you possibly can. Just imagine you have a degree in an IT related field and satisfy all the requirements but one which the employer considers to be the most important which is that of being an RN. Funny isn't it?

Credits
    whats an rn? Real Nerd??
    joie de vivre

carpe diem

it would be way too long

Credits
    Registered Nurse.... I was doing some research also and found out that quite a few of them were getting qualified in the health information systems field.

Spranga
    see... i don't like that one bit

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by broaman View Post
    Registered Nurse.... I was doing some research also and found out that quite a few of them were getting qualified in the health information systems field.
    oh NICE
    joie de vivre

carpe diem

it would be way too long

Links30
    Sorry i now seeing this darling. These are dealing with mostly network security. As for the certification vs degree, it depends, both would pay just as good if you have either, but usually the degree along with the certification sets you above the bar than the rest.

Security +

CompTIA Security+

MCSE

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...tion/mcse.aspx

MCSA

Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)

CCENT

CCENT - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

CCNA Security

CCNA Security - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast