Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for those in IT

Credits

A question for those in IT

I am thinking about going into grad school for IMAT at umuc ( Master of Science in Information Technology - Graduate School of Management & Technology - UMUC ).
    I wanted to know before I even go through with registering, should I get the certificate or the masters? Just want to know if it is even worth the time and effort.

Credits
    So nobody has any advice? lol

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    I am thinking about going into grad school for IMAT at umuc ( Master of Science in Information Technology - Graduate School of Management & Technology - UMUC ).
    I wanted to know before I even go through with registering, should I get the certificate or the masters? Just want to know if it is even worth the time and effort.
    It depends, in all honesty, on what direction you want to go in and what do you want to do. What is your ultimate goal? What type of work do you want to do?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle View Post
    It depends, in all honesty, on what direction you want to go in and what do you want to do. What is your ultimate goal? What type of work do you want to do?
    I'm interested in network security AND web design (always had an interest in it).

Credits
    I'm interested in network security AND web design (always had an interest in it).
    In that case, programs like that are good especially if they guarantee placement. If you want to go into network security, get familiar with everything you possibly can and most importantly get a security clearance. That will make you very marketable. Experience really helps as well. Some places have programs where you can get hands on experience. The degree is more marketable as well and it's good if you eventually want to teach. Good luck in your endeavors.

Credits
    In that case, programs like that are good especially if they guarantee placement. If you want to go into network security, get familiar with everything you possibly can and most importantly get a security clearance. That will make you very marketable. Experience really helps as well. Some places have programs where you can get hands on experience. The degree is more marketable as well and it's good if you eventually want to teach. Good luck in your endeavors.
    thank ya!

Credits
    thank ya!
    No prob

Spranga
    sorry but I didn't see this till now. stupid imix w/ no tech section.

Anyway, in IT in this day and age it's all about certs and have been for some time. you can get as much certs as you prepare for before getting your masters in one. Jobs are out there that look for certs and pay well. Not saying don't go to college for a degree, but in some instances you won't need to logically. it may not make sense. I started going to school for my associates in networkinig. I already had my A+ since high school. Didnt look for work after high school. Halfway through my credits i took my Network+ and passed. applied for for a job, got hired @ nice pay, stopped going to school because I was all set. I've been out for 2 semesters but I plan on finishing this fall. I don't plan on getting my masters although i do plan on teaching at a community college sometime in my future(i'm lazy). Point is... in this economy(especially where certs are widley accepred), jump on the money asap. worry bout the rest later.

cassette_craig
    Yeah sorry im late refer to the first part of what Bean said.

Also like nerd said its all about what you seeking, if you plan to do web design i think getting the degree would be better dan getting certs but for networking et al, get the cert. I am doing network and pc repairs right now and i only have certs and lots of experience on my side.

Got A+ like since 2003 and i have been looking forward ever since, didn't go to uni, don't think i need to since what they are gonna teach me i already know and they don't do practicals (so i heard) suh wha sense dat mek.

Good Luck with whichever one you choose doh

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bean View Post
    sorry but I didn't see this till now. stupid imix w/ no tech section.

Anyway, in IT in this day and age it's all about certs and have been for some time. you can get as much certs as you prepare for before getting your masters in one. Jobs are out there that look for certs and pay well. Not saying don't go to college for a degree, but in some instances you won't need to logically. it may not make sense. I started going to school for my associates in networkinig. I already had my A+ since high school. Didnt look for work after high school. Halfway through my credits i took my Network+ and passed. applied for for a job, got hired @ nice pay, stopped going to school because I was all set. I've been out for 2 semesters but I plan on finishing this fall. I don't plan on getting my masters although i do plan on teaching at a community college sometime in my future(i'm lazy). Point is... in this economy(especially where certs are widley accepred), jump on the money asap. worry bout the rest later.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassette_craig View Post
    Yeah sorry im late refer to the first part of what Bean said.

Also like nerd said its all about what you seeking, if you plan to do web design i think getting the degree would be better dan getting certs but for networking et al, get the cert. I am doing network and pc repairs right now and i only have certs and lots of experience on my side.

Got A+ like since 2003 and i have been looking forward ever since, didn't go to uni, don't think i need to since what they are gonna teach me i already know and they don't do practicals (so i heard) suh wha sense dat mek.

Good Luck with whichever one you choose doh
    well here's my plan, and I even worked out it with my advisor. I'll start off taking courses on the certification path, but I do want the masters. I wouldn't mind having the certification, get some form of career started, and continue to work on my masters. I do know web design is where I want to start because my husband and I have been talking for the past two years about starting a web design business. Thanks again fellas!
    Last edited by mz_JazE; 03-26-2009 at 02:12 PM.

cassette_craig
    well here's my plan, and I even worked out it with my advisor. I'll start off taking courses on the certification path, but I do want the masters. I wouldn't mind having the certification, get some form of career started, and continue to work on my masters. I do know web design is where I want to start because my husband and I have been talking for the past two years about starting a web design business. Thanks again fellas!
    yuh welcome

Credits
    your degree is only as good as the program though. esp with network security see what research areas the professors are exploring, and if they match your goals.. yep.. and security clearance is key for sure.. the safest gigs are in defense related industries, then comes financial firms (cause fewer of dem can hire H1-B's since they received the government bailout).

Dont worry about web design you can pick up a book or do it on the weekend when you are bored.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    your degree is only as good as the program though. esp with network security see what research areas the professors are exploring, and if they match your goals.. yep.. and security clearance is key for sure.. the safest gigs are in defense related industries, then comes financial firms (cause fewer of dem can hire H1-B's since they received the government bailout).

Dont worry about web design you can pick up a book or do it on the weekend when you are bored.
    Did that before, still have the book, but I'm not a good self learner. I need some type of lesson plan for me. So far, UMUC's prof. are up to date since they're working in the companies you just named.

All of the advice is very helpful, and I thank you all!

Credits

Thumbs up

Well Said!
    get the degree

Credits
    Damn...

I agree with all post in this thread.....

as far as getting hired,

"Certs & Experience" are what Employers value the the most. Like Bean' said, there are peeps who get PAID well with no degree at all and few certs' under their belt.

With your Cert & Masters aspirations...once you get 2+years experience under ur belt, your income potential will sky rocket. Especially, if your interested in relocating or capable of traveling.....also, being a consultant.
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast