Thread: Interview tips

Credits

Interview tips

I recognize their are some young ones on the mix or at least some less experienced ones so I thought giving some interview tips may be a good idea.

DOs

DO learn to pronounce the name of the company you are interviewing with. Nothing is more of a turn off for an interviewer than hearing someone pronounce the name incorrectly. Then you say it once to let them know the correct pronunciation then next time they say it they pronounce it wrong again

DO know your exact route to get to the interview location. This can be achieved by either doing a driveby the day before or using google maps...under no circumstances should you be late.

DO build in time for traffic. Do not plan to get there exactly on time....again do not be late.

DO practice your handshake with family and friends....a limp handshake drives me crazy.

DO ask questions about the job even if it is one. Makes you seem interested. In business school they say to learn facts about the company but I think this is overused and not as useful in larger companies because you would find facts about the entire company and not necessarily the segment/subsidiary the job is in.

DON'Ts

DON'T be late. I am sure by now this is clear but there is nothing more irritating than this..at least to me

DON'T badtalk your previous boss or company

DON't put stuff on your resume which you cannot speak to. So do not say you did a budget presentation when all you did was help put in into a binder. It comes off as misleading.

DON'T insist that you get your parking validated.

DON'T use notes in the interview. Even if you prepared some standard business school answers beforehand, memorize them and rattle them off in the interview, do not read from a notepad.

Credits
    5 Things you MUST do in an interview!

5 Things you MUST do in an interview! - HeadofTheBoard.Com

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by trinidarkie View Post
    DOs

DO learn to pronounce the name of the company you are interviewing with. Nothing is more of a turn off for an interviewer than hearing someone pronounce the name incorrectly.

DO practice your handshake with family and friends....a limp handshake drives me crazy.

DO ask questions about the job even if it is one. Makes you seem interested. In business school they say to learn facts about the company but I think this is overused and not as useful in larger companies because you would find facts about the entire company and not necessarily the segment/subsidiary the job is in.

DON'Ts

DON'T be late. I am sure by now this is clear but there is nothing more irritating than this..at least to me

DON'T badtalk your previous boss or company

Yeh I strongly emphasise the above

Ent
    Credits
    Great points!
    Helpful reminders in these guava season when it eh have much wuk available