Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hospitality folks identify yourselves

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Amoretti View Post
    I'm doing an internship in the Radisson, not for credits, for experience (I'm a psych major).

I love that it's only Mon-Fri (I'm in HR right not) but I wouldn't mind the weekend work, I'm trying to obtain as much knowledge about hotels (at least this 1) as I can while I'm there.

More details please ladies
    what exactly would you want details on?
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Very good thread. I will be going off next year to start studies in Hospitality and Tourism Manangement. The industry sounds very exciting and I've always has a keen interest in anything related to travel. Will be doing two years at New Brunswick Community College in Canada and hope to transfer into University of New Brunswick to finish up a degree in the field. I know its a bit late to begin training in this field. I've just gathered enough money to go off to college so better late than never.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandtyme View Post
    Very good thread. I will be going off next year to start studies in Hospitality and Tourism Manangement. The industry sounds very exciting and I've always has a keen interest in anything related to travel. Will be doing two years at New Brunswick Community College in Canada and hope to transfer into University of New Brunswick to finish up a degree in the field. I know its a bit late to begin training in this field. I've just gathered enough money to go off to college so better late than never.
    It's never too late....I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself..(in my late 20's) and I'm just wrapping up my Bsc in Hotel and Restaurant Management.

At first my concentration was in Meetings, Conventions and Event, then I switched to Food and Beverage. Now I'm in lodging.

I like both lodging and F&B but F&B requires very long hours...... and lots of time on the feet. I did a management internship at Friday's last yr and though it was fun....it's just so darn tiring.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandtyme View Post
    Girl it's never too late. Some people don't even bother, at least you making an attempt. I wish you all the best. But the field is great, one of the best ways to advance in the field is networking. I am always collecting business cards and keeping in touch with people. What I love about hospitality is, you can work anywhere in the world in this business and it's not just sitting behind a desk there will always be something going on.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    Girl it's never too late. Some people don't even bother, at least you making an attempt. I wish you all the best. But the field is great, one of the best ways to advance in the field is networking. I am always collecting business cards and keeping in touch with people. What I love about hospitality is, you can work anywhere in the world in this business and it's not just sitting behind a desk there will always be something going on.
    That's one major reason why I chose the field.

Wah mek yuh brazen so? sapodilla brownin's Avatar sapodilla brownin is offline
    Credits
    Yup one day in a hotel is never the same ...I like that too..im always on my feet ..not to mention running up stairs when service elevator bruk down
    Ive had to deal wid drunk irate big unruly guys coming back from the St Patrick days parade ...lawd it was scary

Credits
    That's my plan, but I'm with a Hospitality Management company instead of a hotel. I don't think I could go work at a hotel after this company spoil me with holidays and weekends off lol.

I like it because it's still giving me the opportunity to learn and help me get the skills and knowledge needed to start up on my own when I'm ready and qualified.
    Val... it looks like I may wind up in F&B afterall....I was running from it but it's beckoning again.

Your company is party of Compass Group right. I met and with and spoke at length to a couple people in Compass over the weekend. I also met with people from Sodexo, Aramark Brinker and Darden. Brinker and Darden deals with restaurants so I'm more leaning towards the other food service orgs specifically compass. There is so much room for growth; especially all the different companies within the group. I'm looking at Eurest, Restaurant Associates and Levy Restaurants.

I haven't bailed on lodging yet..... I start training for the assistant GM position next week but it will be temporary since the current assistant GM is going on maternity leave soon. I am seizing the opportunity as it will be good experience for me.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    Val... it looks like I may wind up in F&B afterall....I was running from it but it's beckoning again.

Your company is party of Compass Group right. I met and with and spoke at length to a couple people in Compass over the weekend. I also met with people from Sodexo, Aramark Brinker and Darden. Brinker and Darden deals with restaurants so I'm more leaning towards the other food service orgs specifically compass. There is so much room for growth; especially all the different companies within the group. I'm looking at Eurest, Restaurant Associates and Levy Restaurants.

I haven't bailed on lodging yet..... I start training for the assistant GM position next week but it will be temporary since the current assistant GM is going on maternity leave soon. I am seizing the opportunity as it will be good experience for me.
    That Assist. GM training will be great!! Congrats and good luck. Compass is a great company and you're right there is a lot of room for growth within the company. I'm thinking about trying another segment Eurest or Flik, we'll see though. With the way the economy is going, everyone is cutting back on hiring, but i'll still try. F&B is great though, i done give up on lodging, but i shouldn't esp. since i hope to have my own eventually.

Credits
    got a call from Red Lobster.... the number showed up as unknown so I didn't answer. The rep did leave a message and number so I will be calling back shortly
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    got a call from Red Lobster.... the number showed up as unknown so I didn't answer. The rep did leave a message and number so I will be calling back shortly
    Nice! Good luck!!

Credits
    Nice! Good luck!!
    yea.... but I don't necessarily want to be in a restaurant setting but these days you can't be choosy
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits

job at the Gaylord at the National Harbor

GAYLORD HOTELS

Gaylord Hotels is a pioneer in the hotel and convention industry with a collection of four upscale, meetings-focused resorts found near Nashville, Tennessee; Orlando, Florida; Dallas, Texas; and Washington, D.C. Each of our Gaylord properties celebrates the geographical heritage of the destination in which it is located with regional themes and attractions designed exclusively for that resort. Our hallmark – “everything in one place” – provides meeting attendees and leisure travelers with convenient onsite access to award-winning dining options, quality spa and fitness facilities, top-notch entertainment, on-site shopping and resort activities, and much more. Gaylord Hotels is owned and operated by Gaylord Entertainment (NYSE: GET), a leading hospitality and entertainment company based in Nashville, Tennessee. For more information, visit Gaylord Hotels - Meeting Hotels - Convention Hotels - Vacation Hotels.

Report It

JOB DESCRIPTION

What do we do? We have Fun!!
    Gaylord National Resort features 2,000 rooms, 470,000 square feet of meeting and convention space and a soaring 18-story glass atrium that crowns the hotel. Ideally located on the banks of the Potomac River, on 41 acres overlooking the monuments of our nation's capital. Resort guests can enjoy signature restaurants, a night club on the top floor and a 20,000-square-foot world-class spa, salon and fitness facility. Other activities include walking, jogging and biking paths, a unique indoor/outdoor pool, elegant retail shopping, family entertainment arcade and boating and other water activities.

Gaylord Entertainment (NYSE:GET) is a leading hospitality and entertainment company based in Nashville, Tenn. which owns and operates industry-leading brands - Gaylord Hotels (Gaylord Hotels - Meeting Hotels - Convention Hotels - Vacation Hotels), a growing number of upscale, meetings-focused resorts, and the Grand Ole Opry (Grand Ole Opry : Home), the weekly showcase of country music. For more information about the company, visit Gaylord Entertainment:: Home.

Job Summary:
    This position will assist with the coordination of group reservation operation to ensure that group reservations are accurately entered into the property management system according to contractual agreements and group specifications.

Job Responsibilities:
    Coordinate group reservation activities including group bookings, room blocks and rate implementations.
    Enter all group rates and coding in the property management system. Ensure that all group reservations have been coded and entered correctly for the appropriate group block.
    Communicate group specifications, billing requirements, deadlines and client no-shows to the appropriate operational departments.
    Monitor group arrivals for coding and billing.
    Update the group booking rate calendar.
    Serve as the primary group housing contact for clients.
    Document all client conversations regarding group specifications and change requests.
    Notify client of scheduled deadlines for cut-off dates and room block adjustments. Ensure that client adheres to deadlines for change requests.
    Coordinate weekly, bi-weekly and monthly pick-up reports for the client.
    Calculate group attrition rates.
    Perform other duties as assigned.
    Job Qualifications:
    Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
    Experience: Minimum one-year hospitality experience required. Reservations experience preferred. Strong communications skills required. Must be fluent in verbal and written English. Strong computer skills required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications required. Working knowledge of Property Management, Daylight sales systems and Passkey preferred.

Gaylord Entertainment promotes a Drug-Free Workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).

JOB REQUIREMENTS

see job description

Find Jobs - Group Housing Coordinator Jobs in (position located in National Harbor, MD at Gaylord National), Virginia - Gaylord Hotels

just for anyone interested

Credits
    good looking out JaZe
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    anytime

Credits
    when i stay at a hotel