Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hospitality folks identify yourselves

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    medicine huh??
    well there will always be demand there

it's not for me though
    i always knew i wanted to be in medicine but i just didnt know where and it sorta found me... (I think musicians tend to push themselfs wid stressfull 9-5 work)

Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    Destination management, event planning and institution F&B/catering is great for folks who have creative minds. There are many opportunities to show off your creative skills and it doesn't go un-noticed. Networking in this industry pays off a lot.

My company does a lot of catering events for a bunch of different people. They did one of the Sopranos premier at the Museum of Natural History, then a celebrity's birthday party there as well. They also do events at Lincoln Center etc.

One of my reasons for choosing Hospitality is, you can never get bored in this industry. There is always something new and you can always move on to another segment if you feel stagnant in one position.

Good for you gyul. I don't mix too well with blood and sick people lol...wuss yet for death! I commend the folks who are nurses and doctors. Medicine is not for me. I'm more for using my friendly and outgoing personality to make money.
    Valid but medicine is so much bigger than that believe it or not. like im training in cardiovascular ultrasound. then going in to pediactrics and fetal. so no blood (even though what i do now i see more than enough blood etc.) eventually I want to teach on behalf of companies like HP & phillips on how to use the machines correctly cause that is half the battle. and im still very much in medcine but not in the arena you would think of.

and trust for what i do and am training for you need to have a friendly and outgoing personality (and being a bit of a science geek doh hurt lol)

If I rattled off a list of positions in medicine you would be shocked at what people get paid to do. that dont deal wid blood and gore. and we are all equally important.

but i think i want to keep u where yuh iz oui! so I can organize meh trips and ting gotta have the inside track
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sapodilla brownin View Post
    nah... but should be going back ...when i interned, I interned in housekeeping then PBX/room service. When i go back ..ill be in housekeeping working as a supervisor
    OK

Like you said, one doesn't necessarily have to go to school to work in the field and one CAN work their way up. However having the degree makes you more marketable and upward mobility is quicker. Also With the degree you make enter at management level whereas without it you may have to start off at a lower level.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Wah mek yuh brazen so? sapodilla brownin's Avatar sapodilla brownin is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    OK

Like you said, one doesn't necessarily have to go to school to work in the field and one CAN work their way up. However having the degree makes you more marketable and upward mobility is quicker. Also With the degree you make enter at management level whereas without it you may have to start off at a lower level.
    yeah that is true ..really does depend on the company ure working with. Seems the better thing to do for graduates is to apply for those management trainee programs, then they place you directly into a management position. Oh what does the GSR at Marriott mean?

What yall think of the use of illegal immigrant labor in the industry?
    Last edited by sapodilla brownin; 08-09-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Credits
    yeah that is true ..really does depend on the company ure working with. Seems the better thing to do for graduates is to apply for those management trainee programs, then they place you directly into a management position. Oh what does the GSR at Marriott mean?

You can apply for the management trainee programs and there are companies like mine who offer you a paid internship (usually your last year in school) and based on your performance there they usually offer you an entry level management position as soon as you graduate.

They hired me a few months shy of my graduation in an entry level capacity and now i'm mid level management. I started working here in January and i've already been promoted. Something that really counts is your drive.

As much as I complained about the hours I had to put in I still came to work early every day and put in my 10 sometimes 13 hours. I'm not saying to work yourself to an early grave lol, but make them see that you are willing to learn and do as much.

If you are interested in trying another aspect of the business let me know, I can give you information on my company.

Here's their web address Restaurant Associates Managed Services

Credits
    I like people in the Hospitality business.........I like hotel discounts when I travel.......PM meh allyuh business cards
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    You can apply for the management trainee programs and there are companies like mine who offer you a paid internship (usually your last year in school) and based on your performance there they usually offer you an entry level management position as soon as you graduate.

They hired me a few months shy of my graduation in an entry level capacity and now i'm mid level management. I started working here in January and i've already been promoted. Something that really counts is your drive.

As much as I complained about the hours I had to put in I still came to work early every day and put in my 10 sometimes 13 hours. I'm not saying to work yourself to an early grave lol, but make them see that you are willing to learn and do as much.

If you are interested in trying another aspect of the business let me know, I can give you information on my company.

Here's their web address Restaurant Associates Managed Services
    Yea drive does really pay off ..my internship went well also
    Kool....what is it that you do there ?... I don't mind trying the food/catering business as long as I aint cooking ,lol ..I'm open to anything at this point.

If the hotel thing aint work out..i'm gonna give it a try though , I'm thinking about interior design for hotels and restaurant...

Credits
    Yea drive does really pay off ..my internship went well also
    Kool....what is it that you do there ?... I don't mind trying the food/catering business as long as I aint cooking ,lol ..I'm open to anything at this point.

If the hotel thing aint work out..i'm gonna give it a try though , I'm thinking about interior design for hotels and restaurant...
    I'm a Controller at one of their accounts. It's actually the position I was recently promoted to, so right now I'm in the transition phase. There are a lot of opportunities for catering in the company, because that is what they sell. Most of their revenue comes in from catering, so there is definitely room for grown in that department.

The good thing about it too is I get weekends and holidays off hahahaha. Unlike the hotels where it's open 24/7. That was the deciding factor for me. There is another department within the company that focuses on style and merchandising. It's a bunch of stuff oui. I doh want to babble too much becuase it'll look like i'm trying to recruit people to my company

But if you have any more questions let me know. I'm still relatively new to this but i've learned a lot for the time I've been here.

Credits
    I'm a Controller at one of their accounts. It's actually the position I was recently promoted to, so right now I'm in the transition phase. There are a lot of opportunities for catering in the company, because that is what they sell. Most of their revenue comes in from catering, so there is definitely room for grown in that department.

The good thing about it too is I get weekends and holidays off hahahaha. Unlike the hotels where it's open 24/7. That was the deciding factor for me. There is another department within the company that focuses on style and merchandising. It's a bunch of stuff oui. I doh want to babble too much becuase it'll look like i'm trying to recruit people to my company

But if you have any more questions let me know. I'm still relatively new to this but i've learned a lot for the time I've been here.
    hmm style and merchandising I like how that sounding ...i dont like the weekend holiday thing ...gawd ..its a pain
    well pm me with more info on the company ..thanks a lot ..it pays to network

Credits

Yes the management training programs are great for getting your foot in the door for management positions. You get to experience a lot during the period and you get to choose which area you want to be in. I'm going to go that route once I graduate next yr.

oh GSR is guest service representative.....
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    hmm style and merchandising I like how that sounding ...i dont like the weekend holiday thing ...gawd ..its a pain
    well pm me with more info on the company ..thanks a lot ..it pays to network
    you don't necessarily have to do holidays and weekends in the hotel industry......it just depends on where you are. If you get into Finance and accounting, human resources, sales and marketing, architecture and construction (includes interior design) then you still get your weekends and holidays. Ofcourse I'm speaking from Marriott standpoint.

https://www.marriott.com/careers/CareerPaths.mi
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    I tend to be very hospitable to women in boy shorts... dat count?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark View Post
    I tend to be very hospitable to women in boy shorts... dat count?
    hmmm no bakes...but it might change depending on the services u offer..

Credits
    Yea if you do front of the house , service related things ..expect to be in there 24/7 ...I found myself in the hotel when a snow storm was going on outside ..lawd.

Ive also noticed that too that a lot of managers move alot ..if they wanna be promoted. One time they at this property ...another position opens up they jump to another . i dunno how that moving working for women who want to settle and have a family. General Managers ...man they always moving

Credits
    Yea if you do front of the house , service related things ..expect to be in there 24/7 ...I found myself in the hotel when a snow storm was going on outside ..lawd.

Ive also noticed that too that a lot of managers move alot ..if they wanna be promoted. One time they at this property ...another position opens up they jump to another . i dunno how that moving working for women who want to settle and have a family. General Managers ...man they always moving
    it would be hard for both a man or woman who wants to settle and have a family.

I myself wanna settle but I'm not too interested in having kids so I wouldn't mind the moving around every 3/4 yrs or so. My SO can always visit and so can I.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    I'm doing an internship in the Radisson, not for credits, for experience (I'm a psych major).

I love that it's only Mon-Fri (I'm in HR right not) but I wouldn't mind the weekend work, I'm trying to obtain as much knowledge about hotels (at least this 1) as I can while I'm there.

More details please ladies

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast