Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Hospitality folks identify yourselves

  1. #1
    ~N.A.T.T.Y Valos~ Val3nie2debone's Avatar Val3nie2debone is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    18,268
    Credits
    2,128,267

    Hospitality folks identify yourselves

    Are there any members beside myself who is associated with the field. How did you get started? What do you currently do? What are your future plans?
    Last edited by Val3nie2debone; 08-03-2008 at 05:23 PM.

  2. #2
    SAINTSational Nica's Avatar Nica is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nawlins BAYBAY
    Posts
    39,594
    Credits
    7,746,304
    *raises hand*

    currently a GSR at a Marriott property.....when I graduate next yr I'm going to do the Management training program offered by Marriott, then manage a property for a few yrs. Then I'll be getting into business for myself.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

  3. #3
    ~N.A.T.T.Y Valos~ Val3nie2debone's Avatar Val3nie2debone is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    18,268
    Credits
    2,128,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    *raises hand*

    currently a GSR at a Marriott property.....when I graduate next yr I'm going to do the Management training program offered by Marriott, then manage a property for a few yrs. Then I'll be getting into business for myself.
    That's my plan, but I'm with a Hospitality Management company instead of a hotel. I don't think I could go work at a hotel after this company spoil me with holidays and weekends off lol.

    I like it because it's still giving me the opportunity to learn and help me get the skills and knowledge needed to start up on my own when I'm ready and qualified.

  4. #4
    Registered User Carine's Avatar Carine is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    742
    Credits
    1,010,097
    I am currently a Corporate Meeting Planner. I work for a private training and consulting firm. I organize 10-15 Conferences, Seminars, workshops, and meetings a year.. I am currently getting my MBA w/ concentration in Hospitality Management... I do eventually want to own my own Event Planning business... But first I want a Management position at a major hotel. So that is what I am working towards for now... But I do currently love my job, I travel every 3 weeks... Although I have no life, no man, no nothing.. LOL... LOL...

  5. #5
    SAINTSational Nica's Avatar Nica is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nawlins BAYBAY
    Posts
    39,594
    Credits
    7,746,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post
    That's my plan, but I'm with a Hospitality Management company instead of a hotel. I don't think I could go work at a hotel after this company spoil me with holidays and weekends off lol.

    I like it because it's still giving me the opportunity to learn and help me get the skills and knowledge needed to start up on my own when I'm ready and qualified.
    I wanna go into the human resources track so I would have weekends
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

  6. #6
    ~N.A.T.T.Y Valos~ Val3nie2debone's Avatar Val3nie2debone is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    18,268
    Credits
    2,128,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Carine View Post
    I am currently a Corporate Meeting Planner. I work for a private training and consulting firm. I organize 10-15 Conferences, Seminars, workshops, and meetings a year.. I am currently getting my MBA w/ concentration in Hospitality Management... I do eventually want to own my own Event Planning business... But first I want a Management position at a major hotel. So that is what I am working towards for now... But I do currently love my job, I travel every 3 weeks... Although I have no life, no man, no nothing.. LOL... LOL...
    LOL @ the last sentence. Gyul doh study dat, i'm sure you're young so take time to get your experience, so when you do meet yuh man u have ur own thing going for you.

    But the corporate meeting planning sounds like fun. The job I currently have, it's with a Hospitality Mangement company and I actually prefer this segment of the industry over the Hotels, Resorts etc. Although you may learn a lot more in the hotel field planning and overseeing more events, in the corporate environment it's more hands on and you get a better understanding of how things work behind the scene. In the hotel too many people are involved. I'm currently an Assistant Controller and soon I hope to switch to Catering within the same company. I can't wait. When I first started with this company I told them that eventually I would like to work in all the departments so I can gain as much knowledge and experience as I can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    I wanna go into the human resources track so I would have weekends
    Yup that's definitely a good one, or even accounting. Do you want to stay in the hotel field or you're open for segments within the industry?

  7. #7
    Cervical Cancer MÉCHANT LOUP's Avatar MÉCHANT LOUP is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Black Forest.......
    Posts
    36,263
    Credits
    17,325,593

  8. #8
    SAINTSational Nica's Avatar Nica is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nawlins BAYBAY
    Posts
    39,594
    Credits
    7,746,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Val3nie2debone View Post

    Yup that's definitely a good one, or even accounting. Do you want to stay in the hotel field or you're open for segments within the industry?
    There are so many segments within the hotel but I do want to also try out cruise, destination management, event planning and instititution F&B
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

  9. #9
    be like water DeSocaPrincess's Avatar DeSocaPrincess is offline
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    wey all tings dose ballance
    Posts
    6,636
    Credits
    1,010,674
    this was a good thread, i did not know the hospitality field was so wide open. keep the info going. but i can tell yuh daiz not where my head at atal. lol gimme medicine anyday.
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!

  10. #10
    SAINTSational Nica's Avatar Nica is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nawlins BAYBAY
    Posts
    39,594
    Credits
    7,746,304
    medicine huh??
    well there will always be demand there

    it's not for me though
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

  11. #11
    ~N.A.T.T.Y Valos~ Val3nie2debone's Avatar Val3nie2debone is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    18,268
    Credits
    2,128,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    There are so many segments within the hotel but I do want to also try out cruise, destination management, event planning and instititution F&B
    Destination management, event planning and institution F&B/catering is great for folks who have creative minds. There are many opportunities to show off your creative skills and it doesn't go un-noticed. Networking in this industry pays off a lot.

    My company does a lot of catering events for a bunch of different people. They did one of the Sopranos premier at the Museum of Natural History, then a celebrity's birthday party there as well. They also do events at Lincoln Center etc.

    One of my reasons for choosing Hospitality is, you can never get bored in this industry. There is always something new and you can always move on to another segment if you feel stagnant in one position.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSocaPrincess View Post
    this was a good thread, i did not know the hospitality field was so wide open. keep the info going. but i can tell yuh daiz not where my head at atal. lol gimme medicine anyday.
    Good for you gyul. I don't mix too well with blood and sick people lol...wuss yet for death! I commend the folks who are nurses and doctors. Medicine is not for me. I'm more for using my friendly and outgoing personality to make money.

  12. #12
    Wah mek yuh brazen so? sapodilla brownin's Avatar sapodilla brownin is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    813
    Credits
    974
    that be me also..finished school in May with a degree in hospitality management interned with a Hyatt. currently contemplating if I really made the correct choice in the hotel stuff ...
    business has its ugly side..and a mean do u really need a degree to work in the industry ....you can very well work ur way up. plus pay aint that great for them long hrs and weekends ..well in the state im in or the company I chose to work with.

    My 2 cents

  13. #13
    SAINTSational Nica's Avatar Nica is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nawlins BAYBAY
    Posts
    39,594
    Credits
    7,746,304
    Quote Originally Posted by sapodilla brownin View Post
    that be me also..finished school in May with a degree in hospitality management interned with a Hyatt. currently contemplating if I really made the correct choice in the hotel stuff ...
    business has its ugly side..and a mean do u really need a degree to work in the industry ....you can very well work ur way up. plus pay aint that great for them long hrs and weekends ..well in the state im in or the company I chose to work with.

    My 2 cents
    are you still at the Hyatt? and what do you do there?
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

  14. #14
    Wah mek yuh brazen so? sapodilla brownin's Avatar sapodilla brownin is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    813
    Credits
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    are you still at the Hyatt? and what do you do there?
    nah... but should be going back ...when i interned, I interned in housekeeping then PBX/room service. When i go back ..ill be in housekeeping working as a supervisor

  15. #15
    Pork Mout Sugar Apple's Avatar Sugar Apple is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    4,911
    Credits
    1,821,754
    I love great service does dat counts



    *runs outta thread before dem start pelting*
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •