Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvard, Stanford or Yale?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
    When does "your graduating class" (specific) = "how many on average in undergraduate programs" (generalized) ?

*rolls eyes*

Anyway, my class had a few hundreds well.
    OMG!!!

it goes without saying that if you dont know the average..den u can basically recall how many were in your class..the average cannot be too far off from that....

dont understand why you rolling ur eyes and all but have a good day same way

peace
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Toppa_Toppa
    When does "your graduating class" (specific) = "how many on average in undergraduate programs" (generalized) ?

*rolls eyes*

Anyway, my class had a few hundreds well.
    A few hundred what? Black people?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Now is the time to relax. It's all about learning how to take law school exams, as it is putting in the studying/outlining time. Generally speaking, it's all about IRAC. Issue, Rule, Analysis and Conclusion. It will be fine.

Rule 1: Try your best to ignore the horror stories. By the time you get to law school, you'll have heard tons of them. You'll hear more when it comes to certain professors when you get there. However, other peoples' horrors don't have to be yours.

Civ Pro may or may not be difficult for you. It was fine for me. Some people say Civ Pro is the toughest. Other say Property is the hardest (That one kicked my butt. Thank God I passed) Someone in our class failed Torts. Others find Contracts hard.

The professor also makes a difference when it comes to certain courses. Some classes you can teach yourself when the professor is terrible, and others you will pray your way through.

So seriously, it just depends. Learn about how to take law school exams. Outline (don't wait until the last minute). Exhaust all your resources (the professor, supplements, trustworthy 2Ls/3Ls). You'll do just fine.
    Saved and will print out. Thanks dollbabi!!!

I take it there is no way to practice outlining the summer before law school?

Measure ur life with Love Doctor's Daughter's Avatar Doctor's Daughter is offline
    Credits
    I remember my law aspiration days.... but honestly, i don't miss it at all. My best friend is an accomplished lawyer here in trinidad and she was knighted by the queen in 2007, she is on the st lucia bar, the guyana bar and the trini bar,,, and she discouraged me from going to law school some years ago... i can honestly say i'm grateful for her discouragement tho... but if i were to study law in the us i would probably do harvard too... the harvard brand has a ringer to it

Credits
    Well, it might as well be. There are schools considered in the "Ivy League," such as the "Public Ivies."

of course its a great school....but its not an Ivy League school...some ppl just LOVE that title u know...LOL

dont try and take our east coast thing...LOL

Credits
    Well, it might as well be. There are schools considered in the "Ivy League," such as the "Public Ivies."
    And southern Ivies...

And not all Ivy league schools are the same when it comes to law schools. Just in west indian and foreign circles the name carries more weight than anything else you got out of there.

Cornell is actuall a worse school than Michigan and NYU law...but will get someone a job faster in the Caribbean or an African country cause we know bout Cornell we don't know nutten bout Michigan and them state universities...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    Yeah but the legal field imploded in the recession and biglaw should not be a PLAN for anyone not in the top...well, yeah those schools you got into, you can plan on it.

Everybody else should see that as winning the lottery...lucky if you do, but have a real plan to get a regular 40k a year lawyer job if you don't.

A lot of them discovered the twin bell curve reality of lawyer pay after they graduated $100k plus in debt.

Like tnt carnival and everything else, i research the hell out of it before i step foot in it. lol
    I have to give it to people who take those jobs, even though that has a bit to do with location. Some people who want to go into the government/non-profit plan on that, especially since there is debt forgiveness after 10 years. But that's tough to go on for so long with that kind of pay, unless you have family or a spouse making good money.

Credits
    Saved and will print out. Thanks dollbabi!!!

I take it there is no way to practice outlining the summer before law school?
    Everything I read says to avoid doing law school work before law school. Something about burning out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor's Daughter View Post
    I remember my law aspiration days.... but honestly, i don't miss it at all. My best friend is an accomplished lawyer here in trinidad and she was knighted by the queen in 2007, she is on the st lucia bar, the guyana bar and the trini bar,,, and she discouraged me from going to law school some years ago... i can honestly say i'm grateful for her discouragement tho... but if i were to study law in the us i would probably do harvard too... the harvard brand has a ringer to it
    lol it's not a matter of would probly...it is some serious hard work and sexy LSAT scores to hurdle over everyone else who wants to get in.

Minorities they do want more of...but the one that they really beg for is black men. Cause no one can find even 25% of enough of them.

Black men are the most wanted for everything, it seems...smh and they here bawling bout how hard they have it.

Credits
    I have to give it to people who take those jobs, even though that has a bit to do with location. Some people who want to go into the government/non-profit plan on that, especially since there is debt forgiveness after 10 years. But that's tough to go on for so long with that kind of pay, unless you have family or a spouse making good money.
    That's the pay for most lawyers just starting out though...they just not telling people that. That's why I'm not rushing into this thing...enjoy myself now and ease my way into it, cause I don't want to be on the other side thinking i coulda woulda shoulda when i had more money free to do xyz...

Credits
    That's the pay for most lawyers just starting out though...they just not telling people that. That's why I'm not rushing into this thing...enjoy myself now and ease my way into it, cause I don't want to be on the other side thinking i coulda woulda shoulda when i had more money free to do xyz...
    average? maybe in your area, but first year atty's come into most firms (the ones ive worked for) in my area at around 75k..

Credits
    Based on availability in my area and what I found out so far from either using books or reading other people's stuff on law school forums online...Testmasters and Powerscore are the only ones that make sense.

Powerscore has a schedule that's better for my schedule so I'm hoping to get that one. And I am use to their books already cause I have the Logic Games Bible and considering getting the Logical Reasoning Bible.

I don't think someone scoring as high as you can help me unless I score in your type of school's range...but if I think of something, I'll be sure to hit you up!

Damn skippy!

But I'm not holding my breath on scores that high...and I would likely still need to take a full scholarship at a lower school...that's the main problem, not getting in somewhere, getting in with the least expense to me somewhere. Otherwise I'd be in already.

Uhm, depending on your GPA (I'm hoping its above 3.0, preferably at least 3.2) you can definitely land Harvard even if scoring in the upper 160s.

One person I know got into Harvard with a 3.2, 165, but he had stellar softs.

Also, University of Virginia, NYU, U Michigan, and Boston U often give full rides to their black applicants who have good numbers. The lower your GPA though, the higher your LSAT needs to be. Mind you, the average LSAT score for black applicants is 142.

Other great schools that love black students:

Uni of Chicago
    Uni of Penn
    Vanderbilt
    Duke
    Northwestern (especially if you have solid work experience -- a black male sI know got in with a 2.9 GPA/165 LSAT).

Measure ur life with Love Doctor's Daughter's Avatar Doctor's Daughter is offline
    Credits
    Everything I read says to avoid doing law school work before law school. Something about burning out.

lol it's not a matter of would probly...it is some serious hard work and sexy LSAT scores to hurdle over everyone else who wants to get in.

Minorities they do want more of...but the one that they really beg for is black men. Cause no one can find even 25% of enough of them.
    Black men are the most wanted for everything, it seems...smh and they here bawling bout how hard they have it.
    thats true.. as u say that, i remember in my last yr of college at my lovely HBCU, Carnegie Melon was inviting applicants from HBCUs for their masters programs to increase diversity and to add to some affirmative action policy that they were implementing... My area was business and HR and they were more interested in IT students... All the west indinas that applied got thru and were given full rides...

Credits
    Uhm, depending on your GPA (I'm hoping its above 3.0, preferably at least 3.2) you can definitely land Harvard even if scoring in the upper 160s.

Also, University of Virginia, NYU, U Michigan, and Boston U often give full rides to their black applicants who have good numbers. The lower your GPA though, the higher your LSAT needs to be. Mind you, the average LSAT score for black applicants is 142.

Uni of Chicago
    Uni of Penn
    Vanderbilt
    Duke
    Northwestern (especially if you have solid work experience -- a black male sI know got in with a 2.9 GPA/165 LSAT).
    BIG UP!!!!!--i wouldnt say full rides tho cuz we still have loans to pay back...

Credits

Uni of Chicago
    Uni of Penn
    Vanderbilt
    Duke
    i know a male imixer that went there, and just did the bar exam... awaiting results now...

Credits

Other great schools that love black students:Uni of Chicago
    Uni of Penn
    Vanderbilt
    Duke
    that statement made me laugh... they dont love us,,, they do that to keep in line with the affirmative action laws that apply... also, they get tax benefits for admitting persons of our colour... lols.... it's all politics,,, but in their perfect world, high gpa or not, high lsat score or not, our black tails would only smell the application form and pass in front the school... lols

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast