Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvard, Stanford or Yale?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    an ex call me the other day to ask me about which form he should be filing...and i was like seeeeee that is why i need a JD so i can legally answer them type a question...cause people just assume i know it all on immigration and family law anyway! lol

I know this wasn't directed to me, but definitely pursue it if you can. And a top LSAT = $$$$ from number of great law schools. Not sure if you've taken the LSAT yet but let me know if you need any recommendations for LSAT prep.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
    If you had intent on pursuing a Juris Doctorate/law degree with any of the aforementioned and can only choose one, which would it be and why?
    Does it really matter.. I doubt any potential employer will frown upon any of those schools. Apply to all 3, go with whoever makes more "economical" sense assuming all 3 accept you.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    only 10...

WOW..well, how many on average in undergraduate programs?

just curious..
    I don't know, but certainly more.

The more elite the law school the less brown people you see. And for those of us attending elite law schools, most choose Harvard over all three.

There's something about that Harvard brand....

T-MAKAA
    No one asked you to open this thread, did they?
    aye aye aye

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    aye aye aye
    lol

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
    Does it really matter.. I doubt any potential employer will frown upon any of those schools. Apply to all 3, go with whoever makes more "economical" sense assuming all 3 accept you.
    Most students have to take out loans from all three law schools unless you're super duper poor or you're a trust-fund baby.

Of the three, Yale has the best LRAP (Loan Repayment Assistance Program). Pretty much your loans can be forgiven even if you work in the private sector making a six-figure salary. For most other LRAPs, you need to be making under a certain threshold and/or working in public interest.

$200k in debt is never pretty, but that can easily be paid off in 5 years provided you land a BIGLAW offer (starting pay in NYC is 160k, excluding end-of-year bonuses).

Credits
    Thanks so much, dollbabi. I've read the stresses associated wih 1L and its making me super anxious, lol. Fortunately for all three, there is the P/F grading system. :)

Totally unrelated but somewhat related: is Civ Pro that difficult? I've heard the horror stories!
    Now is the time to relax. It's all about learning how to take law school exams, as it is putting in the studying/outlining time. Generally speaking, it's all about IRAC. Issue, Rule, Analysis and Conclusion. It will be fine.

Rule 1: Try your best to ignore the horror stories. By the time you get to law school, you'll have heard tons of them. You'll hear more when it comes to certain professors when you get there. However, other peoples' horrors don't have to be yours.

Civ Pro may or may not be difficult for you. It was fine for me. Some people say Civ Pro is the toughest. Other say Property is the hardest (That one kicked my butt. Thank God I passed) Someone in our class failed Torts. Others find Contracts hard.

The professor also makes a difference when it comes to certain courses. Some classes you can teach yourself when the professor is terrible, and others you will pray your way through.

So seriously, it just depends. Learn about how to take law school exams. Outline (don't wait until the last minute). Exhaust all your resources (the professor, supplements, trustworthy 2Ls/3Ls). You'll do just fine.

Credits
    Most students have to take out loans from all three law schools unless you're super duper poor or you're a trust-fund baby.

Of the three, Yale has the best LRAP (Loan Repayment Assistance Program). Pretty much your loans can be forgiven even if you work in the private sector making a six-figure salary. For most other LRAPs, you need to be making under a certain threshold and/or working in public interest.

$200k in debt is never pretty, but that can easily be paid off in 5 years provided you land a BIGLAW offer (starting pay in NYC is 160k, excluding end-of-year bonuses).
    well then.. Sounds like Yale is #1. And if you plan on relocating by to NY, might want to stay on east coast. I would think most of Stanfords tight affiliations and alumni are on the west coast.

T-MAKAA

Credits

The more elite the law school the less brown people you see. And for those of us attending elite law schools, most choose Harvard over all three.

you dont know how many black ppl were in your graduating class?

how is it you know how many graduate from the masters program but not undergrad...of which you have already completed...Please dont take me for hte average imix hater...just trying to understand.
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    you would really consider Standford?

I thought you were an Ivy League girl?
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    I know this wasn't directed to me, but definitely pursue it if you can. And a top LSAT = $$$$ from number of great law schools. Not sure if you've taken the LSAT yet but let me know if you need any recommendations for LSAT prep.
    Based on availability in my area and what I found out so far from either using books or reading other people's stuff on law school forums online...Testmasters and Powerscore are the only ones that make sense.

Powerscore has a schedule that's better for my schedule so I'm hoping to get that one. And I am use to their books already cause I have the Logic Games Bible and considering getting the Logical Reasoning Bible.

I don't think someone scoring as high as you can help me unless I score in your type of school's range...but if I think of something, I'll be sure to hit you up!

Damn skippy!

But I'm not holding my breath on scores that high...and I would likely still need to take a full scholarship at a lower school...that's the main problem, not getting in somewhere, getting in with the least expense to me somewhere. Otherwise I'd be in already.

Credits
    you dont know how many black ppl were in your graduating class?
    When does "your graduating class" (specific) = "how many on average in undergraduate programs" (generalized) ?

*rolls eyes*

Anyway, my class had a few hundreds well.

Credits

Yeah but the legal field imploded in the recession and biglaw should not be a PLAN for anyone not in the top...well, yeah those schools you got into, you can plan on it.

Everybody else should see that as winning the lottery...lucky if you do, but have a real plan to get a regular 40k a year lawyer job if you don't.

A lot of them discovered the twin bell curve reality of lawyer pay after they graduated $100k plus in debt.

Like tnt carnival and everything else, i research the hell out of it before i step foot in it. lol

Credits
    you would really consider Standford?

I thought you were an Ivy League girl?
    Well, it might as well be. There are schools considered in the "Ivy League," such as the "Public Ivies."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast