Thread: Calling all people in the cooking arena

Credits

Calling all people in the cooking arena

Share with the group what you do, and how vast the kitchen can be. (im nosey and want to know)
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSocaPrincess View Post
    Share with the group what you do, and how vast the kitchen can be. (im nosey and want to know)
    Well I'm not in the kitchen, but the company I work for provides full service dining for our client.

The kitchen is a very important part of how well the establishment is run. There are many positions that are involved, we have the cooks(line cooks), chefs, sous chefs, executive chef...then we have the porters (they are responsible for keeping things throughout the establishment clean and running).

At my kitchen we have 2 sous chefs and 1 executive chef. The executive chef is the big boss in the kitchen and the sous chefs are his assistants. They're the ones who do the staff schedules, supervise the staff and most importantly the ones we yell at when we don't get what we need for the cafe.

The executive chef's role is to basically make sure that the food bought is kept within the budget, comes up with menus or sometimes lets one of his chefs come up with the menus and then make the necessary adjustments. Meets with the clients and go over menus, come up with new ideas for meals etc.

A whole lot of planning goes into these things oui, I have been here for a couple months and I still haven't fully understood the whole thing, but i'm getting close.

I hope I answered your questions, I'll see if I can get more info from the chefs about their duties and responsiblities.

Credits
    yeah that was so cool. i just did a contract job for a hospital working in the kitchen and it was amazing to see what it took to make it run.
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!