Thread: Bachelor Degree value

Gladiator

Bachelor Degree value

How much value does your Bachelor degree worth in todays society compared to 15 years ago ?

Which leads to my next question How much of a neccessity is it to earn a Masters to be career sucessful in your career ?

sharkie
    I believe the stat says a bach. degree earns 1 million more in a lifetime compared to a high school diploma.

Getting a master's absolutely depends on the field you're in. Many fields would rate certificates and other designations higher than that of a masters.

In actuarial science you hardly need a master's unless you want to plan on entering academia, but you still end up making 6 figures in 5 years post degree.

In psychology, you better get at least a master's or else you will be bagging groceries or working for verizon or some shit.

For my particular career, a master's is still an option for me, I take time and try to get into a top notch school for my field, that way it's more marketable, but right now, I'm gaining a ton more from managerial experience/networking. etc

Gladiator
    I feel like a Bachelor degree does not have as much significance as 13 to 15 years ago. I think its mostly because of the competition for jobs in todays society is more competitive than before..maybe most competitive ever. Also alot more people have achieved Bachelors today compared to 15 years ago, so thats why there is more of a need for Masters from more people

LB
    Credits
    having a B.A. come in like having a high school diploma 20 years ago. you need it just to have basic entry level jobs in a lot of field.

when I was done mine I had to decide if I liked my area of study enough to pursue an Masters b/c otherwise u couldnt do much with a B.A. in that field.

I decided nope and changed directions, so other than the requisite courses, a designation is far more important than having a Masters is in what I am doing now.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Gladiator
    ^^ alright thanks for the input

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by First Lieutenant View Post
    How much value does your Bachelor degree worth in todays society compared to 15 years ago ?

Which leads to my next question How much of a neccessity is it to earn a Masters to be career sucessful in your career ?
    an engineering degree and carry its weight if you a GPA above a 3.0

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    an engineering degree and carry its weight if you a GPA above a 3.0
    that degree has high value regardless of gpa

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by First Lieutenant View Post
    How much value does your Bachelor degree worth in todays society compared to 15 years ago ? Which leads to my next question How much of a neccessity is it to earn a Masters to be career sucessful in your career ?
    good question I have a college degree and I barely can find job in my major there be mornings I wake up and ask my self where do I see myself in twenty years from now
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    When I finished my first degree I was still young so I worked for a year and a half then did my Masters. I chose a completely different but complementary field. I find though that more and more people are getting a Masters so the competition is tight. What I have also noticed is people with years of experience are retooling by doing an MBA/Masters and that combo of experience and advanced degree basically blowing the competition (young ones) away. IMO opinion you need to go further than a degree to even compete and of course choose a field that always need people.
    ‎"In the absence of light Darkness prevails."

"Free will; it's a b*tch"

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits
    ^^^^ nice thought appericate it !!!!!!
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedasheen View Post
    When I finished my first degree I was still young so I worked for a year and a half then did my Masters. I chose a completely different but complementary field. I find though that more and more people are getting a Masters so the competition is tight. What I have also noticed is people with years of experience are retooling by doing an MBA/Masters and that combo of experience and advanced degree basically blowing the competition (young ones) away. IMO opinion you need to go further than a degree to even compete and of course choose a field that always need people.
    I totally agree. I have enough courses outside my first degree to probably apply for a Masters but since it doesnt matter (in the current field I am in) more than a designation stamp, I just leave it be. But if I was to change things up then yes, I would have to sort that part out. Having a Masters seems to be the standard in many fields even at a lower management level.
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    I totally agree. I have enough courses outside my first degree to probably apply for a Masters but since it doesnt matter (in the current field I am in) more than a designation stamp, I just leave it be. But if I was to change things up then yes, I would have to sort that part out. Having a Masters seems to be the standard in many fields even at a lower management level.
    Exactly.Which is why I decided to pursue mine.In the Accounting world they say its "not needed", just become a CPA and you're set for life.For me I feel like getting my Masters is also a personal accomplishment.

Credits
    These days I see a lot of tradespeople doing better than college graduates.
    Think For Yourself