Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Erykah Badu...Wingate Field, Brooklyn... August 4th

  1. #1
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499

    Erykah Badu...Wingate Field, Brooklyn... August 4th

    Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series: Erykah Badu

    Monday, August 4, 2008

    7:30 p.m.11:00 p.m.

    Wingate Field

    Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  2. #2
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499

    Another good night at Wingate Field!!!!

    I had a time.

    Ms Badu gave an awesome performance.

    Anybody else went?

    I will be back later to share some more.
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  3. #3
    Registered User sospwaa's Avatar sospwaa is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    152
    Credits
    27,918
    i tried to get in around 8:30 but it was too late !

  4. #4
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by sospwaa View Post
    i tried to get in around 8:30 but it was too late !

    Damn. But guess what it did not start till around that time anyway so it would have been perfect. Too bad they did not let you in. Will you be there for Jill Scott's performance next week?
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  5. #5
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    I enjoyed myself like I said.

    Crowd: a lot. From young children to the elderly. Good mixed crowd of females and males.

    Her band and singers. Excellent. They are cool in how they shake and grove to the music. Made it fun.

    Ms. Badu

    First time I have seen her perform.
    She has style, a fun and sexy style when she dances and sings, she is cool, confident, funny, socially and politically aware.

    She sang mostly classics: On and On, Love of My Life, Tyrone...

    I enjoyed how she told her band to "Wait"
    The band obeyed and waited. while she did rapped and sang acapella.
    She played a percussion instrument (electronic drum),tiny shak shaks, a drum with a stick, and had other props.

    She sang repeating words that sounded cool like: my my; my, my, my...

    At one point she said: like yall came to have church. There were people seated. I too felt more people should have got up and had a time.

    I liked the opening song that included the words: "Hip Hop is bigger than religion" "... is bigger than the government (as she slowly raised her fist in the air)

    She said tonight is dedicated to those not heard: the artists, djs, sculptors, flutists, bassists, singers....

    It was funny how she threw in one of her songs that she has two children by two different daddies (for those who happened to talk about that) and she said after her political/activism bit "I'll be in the paper again tomorrow"

    The political/activism bit has to do with her saying all people ( have to fight the system: the real problem. Those in power. She said Obama did his part but we have to change the system. She gave the analogy of the bowling alley we go to. One day we decide we are going to make it better with a skating rink. She said it is not going to work. She said we have to build our own skating rink (change the system)

    She spoke of Mexicans who were fighting for their land. And they came head to head with the soldiers. They started to sing and the more they sang they reached the hearts of the soldiers (the soldiers looked just like the people fighting for land... ) and the soldiers fell back. She said we are ruled by fear and consumption right now.....
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  6. #6
    Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Soca Zone
    Posts
    19,659
    Credits
    1,207,562
    What date is Beres performing at Wingate?

  7. #7
    $ CASH MONEY PROMOTIONS$ Dark & Lovely's Avatar Dark & Lovely is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    brooklyn usa
    Posts
    10,422
    Credits
    1,044,736
    woW.....IM VEX THAT I MISSED HER BUT i WILL BE THERE FOR JILL
    "TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED
    TOO ANNOINTED TO BE DISAPPOINTED"

  8. #8
    Southern Belle mz_JazE's Avatar mz_JazE is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East of the Anacostia River, MD
    Posts
    15,853
    Credits
    515,116,541
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    I enjoyed myself like I said.

    Crowd: a lot. From young children to the elderly. Good mixed crowd of females and males.

    Her band and singers. Excellent. They are cool in how they shake and grove to the music. Made it fun.

    Ms. Badu

    First time I have seen her perform.
    She has style, a fun and sexy style when she dances and sings, she is cool, confident, funny, socially and politically aware.

    She sang mostly classics: On and On, Love of My Life, Tyrone...

    I enjoyed how she told her band to "Wait"
    The band obeyed and waited. while she did rapped and sang acapella.
    She played a percussion instrument (electronic drum),tiny shak shaks, a drum with a stick, and had other props.

    She sang repeating words that sounded cool like: my my; my, my, my...

    At one point she said: like yall came to have church. There were people seated. I too felt more people should have got up and had a time.

    I liked the opening song that included the words: "Hip Hop is bigger than religion" "... is bigger than the government (as she slowly raised her fist in the air)
    The Healer, that's my number 1 on the new CD
    She said tonight is dedicated to those not heard: the artists, djs, sculptors, flutists, bassists, singers....

    It was funny how she threw in one of her songs that she has two children by two different daddies (for those who happened to talk about that) and she said after her political/activism bit "I'll be in the paper again tomorrow"
    yeah that song is somewhat different, like it's a cool mellow vibe, then gets a little well Badu lol
    The political/activism bit has to do with her saying all people ( have to fight the system: the real problem. Those in power. She said Obama did his part but we have to change the system. She gave the analogy of the bowling alley we go to. One day we decide we are going to make it better with a skating rink. She said it is not going to work. She said we have to build our own skating rink (change the system)

    She spoke of Mexicans who were fighting for their land. And they came head to head with the soldiers. They started to sing and the more they sang they reached the hearts of the soldiers (the soldiers looked just like the people fighting for land... ) and the soldiers fell back. She said we are ruled by fear and consumption right now.....
    If people were there church, they got what they were looking for because by your review looks like she was preachin. Did she sing "Master Teachers" (what if there were no n!ggas, only master teachers? 'I stay woke.')?

  9. #9
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    If people were there church, they got what they were looking for because by your review looks like she was preachin. Did she sing "Master Teachers" (what if there were no n!ggas, only master teachers? 'I stay woke.')?
    Nah she was not preachin'.
    Yuh see she was introducing a song off her upcoming album. "I believe it is called 4th World War.
    Think how Erykah sings and her style.
    It was not like a shove down your throat type of thing. She even used humor.
    Humor part I remember: "they were singing a song...*spanish words*..." something, something.. no speak espanol". Well it was funny when she said it.

    Many in the crowd laughed. Cheered for the comments.

    Do you think artists should not speak of their political views?
    To me is okay provided it does not go reallllllllllllllll long.
    What she said which most I don't remember, was needed to be said and what place better than a crowd with people. Maybe its just me.

    After she said her piece she sang the new song. One of her old songs. Then Tyrone but it was all cool.

    She did not sing Master Teachers.
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  10. #10
    Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Soca Zone
    Posts
    19,659
    Credits
    1,207,562
    No one know when Beres performing?

  11. #11
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by **Vincy-Soca-Diva** View Post
    No one know when Beres performing?
    Sorry, did have much time to post this morning.

    He will be performing: August 18th.
    Check this link: Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series

    Note I posted it in my first post
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

  12. #12
    Southern Belle mz_JazE's Avatar mz_JazE is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East of the Anacostia River, MD
    Posts
    15,853
    Credits
    515,116,541
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    Nah she was not preachin'.
    Yuh see she was introducing a song off her upcoming album. "I believe it is called 4th World War.
    Think how Erykah sings and her style.
    It was not like a shove down your throat type of thing. She even used humor.
    Humor part I remember: "they were singing a song...*spanish words*..." something, something.. no speak espanol". Well it was funny when she said it.

    Many in the crowd laughed. Cheered for the comments.

    Do you think artists should not speak of their political views?
    To me is okay provided it does not go reallllllllllllllll long.
    What she said which most I don't remember, was needed to be said and what place better than a crowd with people. Maybe its just me.

    After she said her piece she sang the new song. One of her old songs. Then Tyrone but it was all cool.

    She did not sing Master Teachers.
    Preachin' doesn't necessarily mean shoving it down your throats. It could mean voicing your views/message, which is why I said she was preachin', and what better way to reach your audience than through a concert. If you had a "I know that's right" moment then that means the initial message got you.
    but dang, I actually like "Master Teachers," and some people need to actually hear that song live. Anyways still sounds like a good show.

  13. #13
    Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Soca Zone
    Posts
    19,659
    Credits
    1,207,562
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    Sorry, did have much time to post this morning.

    He will be performing: August 18th.
    Check this link: Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series

    Note I posted it in my first post
    Thank you so much you are a life saver .

  14. #14
    Unique woman TriniTrini's Avatar TriniTrini is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Success City
    Posts
    10,588
    Credits
    1,196,499
    Quote Originally Posted by **Vincy-Soca-Diva** View Post
    Thank you so much you are a life saver .
    You are welcome
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •