Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legends Of Reggae: The Buju Banton Thread

Credits
    Classic

Buju Banton - Champion

Credits
    The consumate team player.. a collab with Buju meant an instant hit!

Buju Banton and Wayne Wonder - I Don't Know Why

Credits
    Buju Freestyling wid Elephant Man and Big Tigger. I think Big Tig held his own

But clearly the best free styler was dih real big man...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiyah View Post
    Ah yes! What can I say about perhaps my favourite artist of all time... dih man is a straight living legend who will probably be more appreciated most when he is long gone. But remember dis... Buju is the best reggae artist since Bob Marley. His ability to put together hits that stand the test of time and then to reinvent himself in different styles is untouched.
    Totally agree.

Credits
    Ah yes! What can I say about perhaps my favourite artist of all time... dih man is a straight living legend who will probably be more appreciated most when he is long gone. But remember dis... Buju is the best reggae artist since Bob Marley. His ability to put together hits that stand the test of time and then to reinvent himself in different styles is untouched.
    totally disagree! there is no way you can put buju in the same category of bob marley! how could you do such a thing? GARGAMEL IS THE BEST REGGAE ARTIST HAAGUMENT DONE!

i will agree that bob marley is the most popular but best....faar from it! in fact, i put dennis brown, peter tosh, jacob miller ahead of bob marley.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    totally disagree! there is no way you can put buju in the same category of bob marley! how could you do such a thing? GARGAMEL IS THE BEST REGGAE ARTIST HAAGUMENT DONE!

i will agree that bob marley is the most popular but best....faar from it! in fact, i put dennis brown, peter tosh, jacob miller ahead of bob marley.
    LOL

I thought you were going the other direction with this. Bwoy is ah hard one... but I have to give credit to Marley. People forget though that he laid the foundation for bringing a mainstream sound to reggae with his fusions of rock and blues... Yes, artists like Buju and more Shaggy and Sean Paul and Jah Cure etc have done more complicated things with the music.. but that is how evolution works. Its analagous to Pele doing the bicycle kick. Yeah... is nuff nuff players can do it now... but yuh will always remember the man who did it so well first. Yeah sure a lot of track athletes can beat Jesse Owens in a 100m sprint now, but you will always remember Owens for being ahead of his time.

ank
    Credits
    I like his muzic, a nice and cool lady let me know about his cool tunes , so that I got to know and got his album.

Thank you ..cool and pretty lady.

Credits
    LOL

I thought you were going the other direction with this. Bwoy is ah hard one... but I have to give credit to Marley. People forget though that he laid the foundation for bringing a mainstream sound to reggae with his fusions of rock and blues... Yes, artists like Buju and more Shaggy and Sean Paul and Jah Cure etc have done more complicated things with the music.. but that is how evolution works. Its analagous to Pele doing the bicycle kick. Yeah... is nuff nuff players can do it now... but yuh will always remember the man who did it so well first. Yeah sure a lot of track athletes can beat Jesse Owens in a 100m sprint now, but you will always remember Owens for being ahead of his time.
    hmph my main issue with marley is that lyric wise he was not the best, the melodies were on point yes, but who can take credit for it?

Credits
    LOL

in my opinion bob marley was as successful as he was because he was willing to "conform". i see bob marley sort of like sean paul. their willingness to take advantage of their marketability worked wonders. Initially the "chosen one" was jimmy cliff...sort of like how shabba was the dancehall chosen one. when them bredda proved to hard to work with bob marley was the best fit.....sort of like shaggy/sean paul. i still dont think shabba apologized to the battyman dem ....neither didBUJU. if BUJU did him woulda gone to mega superstar status....much like bob marley did
    Last edited by Ras_Apache; 08-03-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    in my opinion bob marley was as successful as he was because he was willing to "conform". i see bob marley sort of like sean paul. their willingness to take advantage of their marketability worked wonders. Initially the "chosen one" was jimmy cliff...sort of like how shabba was the dancehall chosen one. when them bredda proved to hard to work with bob marley was the best fit.....sort of like shaggy/sean paul. i still dont think shabba apologized to the battyman dem ....neither didBUJU. if BUJU did him woulda gone to mega superstar status....much like bob marley did

Conform how? Take a look at Marley's early works (before he made it big) and then take a look at his post stardom stuff. Its the same type of music. Bob never had to conform... he was singing love and peace and anti-war music during a time when love and peace and anti-war was the IN thing.

If anything Marley was a non-conformist. At the time because of the political climate in Jamaica the bad man ting was popular. Bob could have followed nuff nuff artists and gone dat route. But the man never did and as a result he was not as popular in Jamaica at first. He didn't take the local bad man niche... nor did he fit the typical rootsy conscious fit either... the man went to an electric rock type thing because the man was also an EXCEPTIONAL musician who understood harmonies and melodies. He wasn't a stand up and sing performer... Bob's concerts sometimes featured 10 minutes of instirumentals alone. Jamaican people never wah hear one riddim for more than four minutes... and they still don't!
    Last edited by Fiyah; 08-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Credits
    Conform how? Take a look at Marley's early works (before he made it big) and then take a look at his post stardom stuff. Its the same type of music. Bob never had to conform... he was singing love and peace and anti-war music during a time when love and peace and anti-war was the IN thing.

If anything Marley was a non-conformist. At the time because of the political climate in Jamaica the bad man ting was popular. Bob could have followed nuff nuff artists and gone dat route. But the man never did and as a result he was not as popular in Jamaica at first. He didn't take the local bad man niche... nor did he fit the typical rootsy conscious fit either... the man went to an electric rock type thing because the man was also an EXCEPTIONAL musician who understood harmonies and melodies. He wasn't a stand up and sing performer... Bob's concerts sometimes featured 10 minutes of instirumentals alone. Jamaican people never wah hear one riddim for more than four minutes... and they still don't!
    bob got rich and switch. he went from being deh wid rita down in trenchtown to jogging around central park with cidy brakespear....bob went from di chalice to licking down di coke pipe with the white dude that made billions on his head......and imagine........ di man never even send down an adidas suit to bunny and dem man deh. a jus him one a lik di criss adidas suits inna rasta colors!

Credits

hey...thats not true...go to any dance nowadays and you can hear the same riddim playing fi di whole night! all these new fackery riddims and songs all sound like one long fackery song!

Credits
    Cant believe I forgot this...

Love Sponge

Credits
    And this...

One To One

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12