Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buju guilty on 3 cocaine related counts

Credits

Buju

Breaking News: Buju Banton guilty on three cocaine related counts
    2011-02-22 14:39:03 | (7 Comments)

Buju Banton outside a Florida courtroom- Daraine Luton/Photographer Jamaica's reggae superstar Buju Banton, real name Mark Myrie, has been found guilty of three cocaine related charges.

A 12 member jury a short while ago delivered the verdict in the Sam M Gibbons building in Tampa which houses the United States Middle District Court, Florida Division.

Buju was found guilty on conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five kilograms or more of a mixture and substance containing a detectable amount of cocaine.

He was also found guilty for attempting to possess five kilograms or more of cocaine.

He was found guilty for aiding and abetting others in using a communication facility in the commission of a felony.

He was found not guilty for knowingly and intentionally possessing a firearm in furtherance of and during the course of a drug-trafficking crime.

Buju was tried last week on four charges.

Buju throughout the maintained he is innocent of the charges saying he play no part in any conspiracy to possess cocaine.

In denying the claims against him, Buju, though his attorney David Oscar Markus, argued that the artiste never became a willing participant of the cocaine conspiracy charged in the superseding indictment.

The defence said tasting the cocaine, talking about cocaine and simply being present at the warehouse is not sufficient to find Buju guilty of the crimes charged.

This trial, which began on February 14, was the second attempt of the US government to convict the Jamaican artiste. A first trial last year was declared a mistrial after jurors failed to arrive at a unanimous position.
    Buju was arrested on December 10, 2009.

His long-time friend Ian Thomas and a James Mack were arrested the same day when they attempted to by cocaine from undercover detectives in a Florida warehouse. Thomas and Mack pleaded guilty but Buju denied the charges. He said he decided to fight in federal court because he knows he is innocent.

Singer Buju Banton found guilty in cocaine case

By MITCH STACY
    Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Grammy-winning reggae singer Buju Banton was convicted Tuesday of conspiring to set up a cocaine deal in 2009.

A federal jury returned their verdict after deliberating for 11 hours over two days on the fate of Banton, who won a Grammy last week for best reggae album for his work entitled "Before the Dawn." He was found guilty of three of the four charges he faced.

The 37-year-old Banton remains wildly popular in his native Jamaica, and his trial was packed with supporters that included other well known reggae artists.

The singer, whose given name is Mark Myrie, was on trial on accusations that he conspired with two other men in setting up a drug deal in December of 2009.

Prosecutors argued during trial that Banton portrayed himself as a broker of drug deals in several conversations with a confidential informant. Defense attorneys countered that he was simply a "big talker" trying to impress the informant, but that he wasn't involved in any drug deal.

Banton was found guilty of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense and using the wires to facilitate a drug trafficking offense. He was acquitted of attempted possession with the intent to distribute cocaine

Much of the case hinged on meetings and phone calls that were video and audiotaped by the confidential informant, who was working with the Drug Enforcement Administration - and who made $50,000 in commission after the bust.

In one video, Banton could be seen tasting cocaine in a Sarasota warehouse on Dec. 8, 2009 - but he was not present during the actual drug deal on Dec. 10 that led two others to be arrested. Those two men later pleaded guilty.

This is Banton's second trial. A jury deadlocked in his first trial last year.

Read more: Singer Buju Banton found guilty in cocaine case - Florida Wires - MiamiHerald.com
    By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Mitch Stacy, Associated Press – 22 mins ago

TAMPA, Fla. – Grammy-winning reggae singer Buju Banton was convicted Tuesday of conspiring to set up a cocaine deal in 2009.

A federal jury returned their verdict after deliberating for 11 hours over two days on the fate of Banton, who won a Grammy last week for best reggae album for his work entitled "Before the Dawn." He was found guilty of three of the four charges he faced.

The 37-year-old Banton remains wildly popular in his native Jamaica, and his trial was packed with supporters that included other well known reggae artists.

The singer, whose given name is Mark Myrie, was on trial on accusations that he conspired with two other men in setting up a drug deal in December of 2009.

Prosecutors argued during trial that Banton portrayed himself as a broker of drug deals in several conversations with a confidential informant. Defense attorneys countered that he was simply a "big talker" trying to impress the informant, but that he wasn't involved in any drug deal.

Banton was found guilty of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense and using the wires to facilitate a drug trafficking offense. He was acquitted of attempted possession with the intent to distribute cocaine

Much of the case hinged on meetings and phone calls that were video and audiotaped by the confidential informant, who was working with the Drug Enforcement Administration — and who made $50,000 in commission after the bust.

In one video, Banton could be seen tasting cocaine in a Sarasota warehouse on Dec. 8, 2009 — but he was not present during the actual drug deal on Dec. 10 that led two others to be arrested. Those two men later pleaded guilty.

Posted was edited by Dragon
    Greenz till I die ( Pantonic panorama 2011 for me )

Credits
    where can I read about this. This is very good news, Buju is the best!!

Credits
    I got a text from a promoter in Mi But I still have to confirm but I been seeing the same thing over fb. I f any one can post some thing would be good.

Credits
    REGGAE star Buju Banton was found guilty on three charges by a 12-member panel of jurors a short while ago.
    The artiste was found guilty of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five or more kilogrammes of cocaine, attempted possession with the intent to distribute cocaine, and using the wires to facilitate a drug-trafficking offence.
    However he was found not guilty of possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug-trafficking offence.
    The artiste hugged his lawyer David Markus when the verdict was read.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle View Post
    REGGAE star Buju Banton was found guilty on three charges by a 12-member panel of jurors a short while ago.
    The artiste was found guilty of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five or more kilogrammes of cocaine, attempted possession with the intent to distribute cocaine, and using the wires to facilitate a drug-trafficking offence.
    However he was found not guilty of possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug-trafficking offence.
    The artiste hugged his lawyer David Markus when the verdict was read.
    Thanx the right info

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits

0:40 if u run into de feds dat is it
    Live life in concert with your values!
    Never be paralyzed!
    Don't wait for people to change! - Dr. Robert Brooks

Credits
    Is he looking at any jail time?
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits
    Bail revoked!!!
    Live life in concert with your values!
    Never be paralyzed!
    Don't wait for people to change! - Dr. Robert Brooks

Credits
    He could get up to life. He hasn't been sentenced yet. He didn't have it on his person, but with the amount of drugs involved (5 kilos), it would be hard to guess what he would actually get.

Credits
    If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?!

sharkie
    jah kno star

Credits
    somebody get some smelling salts......Renze juss pass out on d floor
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle View Post
    He could get up to life. He hasn't been sentenced yet. He didn't have it on his person, but with the amount of drugs involved (5 kilos), it would be hard to guess what he would actually get.
    Pardon my ignorance but is that considered to be a lot? 5 kilos.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but is that considered to be a lot? 5 kilos.
    That's about $125,000 ... so hell yea... *doh ask me how I know that*

Picong...shaddap.. sigh. Disappointed but u do the crime i guess.. time follows.
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

sharkie
    he better take dat sentence in ja so he could live like a king and sing some song.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast