Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Addies, the sound of the 90's myth

Credits

Addies, the sound of the 90's myth

for some reason, nuff pseudo dancehall fans have king addies heralded as the wickedest sound of the 90's. For years i have been trying to figure out why.
    just yesterday i witnessed addies get this shit kicked out of them by Bodyguard in biltmore back in 1992. They got the shit kicked out of them by Jaro in the mid 90's. IN the late 90's Bodyguard came back on the scene with lynx and ended the wonderful career of king addies.

Addies fans, i ask unnu once again....why do you feel addies was the sound of the 90's over sounds like bodyguard, Jaro or even B.O.? Personally, if i had to name 1 sound the sound of the 90's it would be Killamanjaro followed closely by my favorite sound...the sound from country!

Credits
    I agree with you its the Brooklyn hype that got Addies fans amped

Mad Scorpion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache View Post
    for some reason, nuff pseudo dancehall fans have king addies heralded as the wickedest sound of the 90's. For years i have been trying to figure out why.
    just yesterday i witnessed addies get this shit kicked out of them by Bodyguard in biltmore back in 1992. They got the shit kicked out of them by Jaro in the mid 90's. IN the late 90's Bodyguard came back on the scene with lynx and ended the wonderful career of king addies.

Addies fans, i ask unnu once again....why do you feel addies was the sound of the 90's over sounds like bodyguard, Jaro or even B.O.? Personally, if i had to name 1 sound the sound of the 90's it would be Killamanjaro followed closely by my favorite sound...the sound from country!
    Every big sound had ah short period in the 90's where they seemed invincible. Addies however wasn't one of them. Appart from losses to Bodyguard & Jaro, many would Argue that Panther killed them with Black Kat as well. For ah time inns city was tough especially when dem done stonelove by reviving Vineyard Style.

My favorite was Spanish Town heavy hitters Turbo Crown until dem fade out. Den ah had to latch onto Bodyguard.

Nuff wicked Sound in the 90's doh, Roadstar use to gwan well at ah time too.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime HD View Post
    Every big sound had ah short period in the 90's where they seemed invincible. Addies however wasn't one of them. Appart from losses to Bodyguard & Jaro, many would Argue that Panther killed them with Black Kat as well. For ah time inns city was tough especially when dem done stonelove by reviving Vineyard Style.

My favorite was Spanish Town heavy hitters Turbo Crown until dem fade out. Den ah had to latch onto Bodyguard.

Nuff wicked Sound in the 90's doh, Roadstar use to gwan well at ah time too.

Credits

Well Ras, you answered the question " nuff pseudo dancehall fans!" went since dancehall fans are sound clash fans ( the majority are not)? vs. clearly you have more sound clash fans into Dancehall. I am willing to bet that the majority of DH Fans have no idea what we are talking about( sound clash ) muchless ever attended one.

Not to defend King Addies, but a lot of the sound clash cred have to do with Lion Face, Danny Dread, and Tony Matterhorn , clearly, this is where Tony made a name for himself....not to mention the numerous artist they helped to develop, when Firgo Digital fell off, Addies step in to rep NYC.

BTW, does it even make sense stating that BG mash them up, look how many sounds crush Rodigan, clearly, I think there is little debate World Wide that Rodigan is the man.

Just my take...btw, I was never big on them.
    Last edited by socapineman; 10-29-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Credits
    I was never realy a fan of them up to this day they alwasy flop but Bodyguard and jaro dem does go on. I will like to see the day when sentinal win. when i went to world clash in 06 i think they got robed and i realy did not know them yet

cassette_craig
    YO the real bigger heads in dis thread the foundation sound clash fans dem, the man dem from the 80's dat used to listen to live dj clashing. The man dem dat know bout one turntable only juggling. BIG UP!

Dat said i glad fuh see how yuh exposing HAddies fuh what they are, a man seh they flop, i disagree, they used to try hard and die hard, they never used to flop. There chunes would mek it but so would the other sound's chunes and that caused dem to loose out.

Here is why i rate king addies, they would mash up ANY sound in a rematch, Jaro was the only sound they never mash up in a rematch. Squinjin and B.O kick dem in 92, they beat B.O in 93, 94 (twice or trice cant remember), Bodyguard sling dem up, mental ketch lynx in maypen and dun he probably the longest chune fuh chune ever in sound clash history.

Plus they had a rep like jaro own, the locked off sounds and NOBODY ever heard of them again, no one can dispute that. When Addies kill a sound it was a convincing killing, yuh coulda hear it on the cassette even, yuh didnt have to be there or view the video to know.

@jahtee addies is tony matterhorn, lionface and danny dread. Skyjuice is metromedia
    put down the weed

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by cassette_craig View Post
    YO the real bigger heads in dis thread the foundation sound clash fans dem, the man dem from the 80's dat used to listen to live dj clashing. The man dem dat know bout one turntable only juggling. BIG UP!

Dat said i glad fuh see how yuh exposing HAddies fuh what they are, a man seh they flop, i disagree, they used to try hard and die hard, they never used to flop. There chunes would mek it but so would the other sound's chunes and that caused dem to loose out.

Here is why i rate king addies, they would mash up ANY sound in a rematch, Jaro was the only sound they never mash up in a rematch. Squinjin and B.O kick dem in 92, they beat B.O in 93, 94 (twice or trice cant remember), Bodyguard sling dem up, mental ketch lynx in maypen and dun he probably the longest chune fuh chune ever in sound clash history.

Plus they had a rep like jaro own, the locked off sounds and NOBODY ever heard of them again, no one can dispute that. When Addies kill a sound it was a convincing killing, yuh coulda hear it on the cassette even, yuh didnt have to be there or view the video to know.

@jahtee addies is tony matterhorn, lionface and danny dread. Skyjuice is metromedia
    put down the weed
    big up yourself fellow dancehall fan. addies was a wicked sound and saying that dem flop is just hating. they were good at the rematch clash but you forgot about the one clash were lynx and johnny kicked them up sooo bad that addies was never the same. matteron and face ended up fighting with each other that night in queens. bodyguard literally mash up addies. despite any brewing differences between face and matteron, that clash with bodyguard was the nail in the coffin. that was one clash that they never came back from. although lynx was the hype man at the time, i think johnny was the wickedest most under rated selector and was the key to bodyguards victory... big up johnny guard...wicked wicked wicked killing machine.

on a positive note tho...the only thing that could kill king addies was a sound from jamaica. no u.s. based sounds could even carry king addies speaker box.

the folks that think lp or earth ruler actually beat addies need to re-listen to the cassette or even better, check the dvd by keelings

cassette_craig
    big up yourself fellow dancehall fan. addies was a wicked sound and saying that dem flop is just hating. they were good at the rematch clash but you forgot about the one clash were lynx and johnny kicked them up sooo bad that addies was never the same. matteron and face ended up fighting with each other that night in queens. bodyguard literally mash up addies. despite any brewing differences between face and matteron, that clash with bodyguard was the nail in the coffin. that was one clash that they never came back from. although lynx was the hype man at the time, i think johnny was the wickedest most under rated selector and was the key to bodyguards victory... big up johnny guard...wicked wicked wicked killing machine.

on a positive note tho...the only thing that could kill king addies was a sound from jamaica. no u.s. based sounds could even carry king addies speaker box.

the folks that think lp or earth ruler actually beat addies need to re-listen to the cassette or even better, check the dvd by keelings
    I didnt forget bout it i jus didn't mention it and i dont think that should be mentioned either cah by den Matterhorn was close to parting ways wid Addies suh round den the clash scene wasn't the same suh lynxx jus took advantage of a bad situation dat night, suh imo dats why it seemed like he was the cause of addies breaking up.

Either way yuh lookat it doh, addies get murder dat night. Bodyguard was about ready to come back on the clash scene and this was round the time when all the big sounds were cooling down suh it was an opportunity for dem (BODYGYARD).

Big speech dat last part bout the only sound to kill addies, oh and one of the european sounds as well, don't forget saxon handed dem their first european beating.

Big up johnny, the wickedest ting ever, he and lionface neck and neck in dat league deh. Yuh aint talking bout the half hour kick face give lynx at roger birthday doh?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by cassette_craig View Post
    I didnt forget bout it i jus didn't mention it and i dont think that should be mentioned either cah by den Matterhorn was close to parting ways wid Addies suh round den the clash scene wasn't the same suh lynxx jus took advantage of a bad situation dat night, suh imo dats why it seemed like he was the cause of addies breaking up.

Either way yuh lookat it doh, addies get murder dat night. Bodyguard was about ready to come back on the clash scene and this was round the time when all the big sounds were cooling down suh it was an opportunity for dem (BODYGYARD).

Big speech dat last part bout the only sound to kill addies, oh and one of the european sounds as well, don't forget saxon handed dem their first european beating.

Big up johnny, the wickedest ting ever, he and lionface neck and neck in dat league deh. Yuh aint talking bout the half hour kick face give lynx at roger birthday doh?
    lol....thats what made those days special. even the great selectors had their night of getting facked up. every clash was up for grabs. i would have loved to see mighty crown mix it up wid dem man deh.

Mad Scorpion

Yuh nah lie bout dat!! Johnny was ah champion selector who if yuh look at the stats I think would rate top 3!

I use to enjoy Silverhawk and Black Scorpio at one time too doh.

cassette_craig
    lol....thats what made those days special. even the great selectors had their night of getting facked up. every clash was up for grabs. i would have loved to see mighty crown mix it up wid dem man deh.
    I wouldn't mighty crown would have been biased out of the ting in dem days. See as juggling the man dem arite, but in clash the crowd gun always favour the jamaican sounds unless chune talk den they dont have much of a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime HD View Post
    Yuh nah lie bout dat!! Johnny was ah champion selector who if yuh look at the stats I think would rate top 3!

I use to enjoy Silverhawk and Black Scorpio at one time too doh.
    Big up Silverhawk dem man write off nuff sounds too. What is your top 5? List dem.

Lionface, Johnnny and who else?

In My Own Space Trying To Keep The Balance
    Credits
    my take on addies. this is a sound from "foreign" that give sounds all over the world problems. that fact alone made it difficult for sounds from yard to accept. tune wise, their dub box is top 3 in the entire world. putting them in the same category as Jaro, Downbeat, Silverhawk, and Saxon. if you are a true sound man, you cant dispute that. no one sound is invincible, so the losses mentioned is a part of life. i do feel that between the years of 93-96, they were the sound to beat. many of the top sounds around the world had to work extra hard when they had to face King Addies. sounds like B.O., Black Kat, Super D, Black Reaction and others to this day can't build a foundation dub box as that of King Addies. sound of the 90's,,,,,,,i don't think so, they lost steam after 97, but were still competitive. i would give that title to the legendary Killamanjaro.

In My Own Space Trying To Keep The Balance
    Credits

Ras, me and you disagree on this before, but that sound dem called LP is the next best thing NY has/had. i do give them the win in the first confrontation. Earth Ruler was a 3 year old sound when dem went to war with Addies. from sources who attended the dance said that eath ruler played extremely well. it wasn't until the end of the round where Addies played the Beres, the bounty Ninja and a couple other tunes that people gave it to Addies. so there were other sounds in BK that could stand up or even defeat he King sound. let's not talk about sounds outside of NY,,,,, Poison Dart, Super Gold, Emporer and a few others that gave the King sound a run for their money.

But Ras apache, LP is the next big international sound that has the tunes to kill any A rank sound world wide.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mr. X View Post
    Ras, me and you disagree on this before, but that sound dem called LP is the next best thing NY has/had. i do give them the win in the first confrontation. Earth Ruler was a 3 year old sound when dem went to war with Addies. from sources who attended the dance said that eath ruler played extremely well. it wasn't until the end of the round where Addies played the Beres, the bounty Ninja and a couple other tunes that people gave it to Addies. so there were other sounds in BK that could stand up or even defeat he King sound. let's not talk about sounds outside of NY,,,,, Poison Dart, Super Gold, Emporer and a few others that gave the King sound a run for their money.

But Ras apache, LP is the next big international sound that has the tunes to kill any A rank sound world wide.
    lp,ruler,soul supreme, all had the tunes to be world class sounds. what they were missing was a wicked selector. the best of the bunch was stereo fish but even he was a few steps below the top selectors. the world is lucky that someone like panther never got recruited to play one of those sounds....den you woulda see murderation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast